A 3D Printer for the CPF community?

Would you make use of a 3D printer if it was available cheaply?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a very cool idea and a good way of justifying investing in a nice machine (but do you really need us to justify it for you?).

Personally, I don't have any immediate requirements, but who knows.

My main issues would be:

Having to learn the required CAD package and 3D modelling
The mechanical properties of the material - what are they and how does the printing affect their performance?
The statement about you having free use of our designs. (this may be ok for private use by agreement, but not as a basic rule)

However, as my Master's degree in engineering involved making a 'rapid prototyping' machine using 'fusion deposition', I want to do more 3D printing!!! The green monster is lurking.

ahorton

Enlightened
I decided a while ago that there wasn't really any call for a community 3D printer. The demand is low enough that you might as well use shapeways for one-offs. I still want to get one myself, but the tech just keeps getting better. Everytime I consider it, another jump seems to happen.

The machine I really want is the titanium printer in the lab down the hall from me. It prints new bones for people.

carl20

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today at SXSW, Makerbot introduced the MakerBot Digitizer Desktop 3D Scanner. The company says, ""With the MakerBot Digitizer Desktop 3D Scanner, now everyone will be able to scan a physical item, digitize it, and print it in 3D – with little or no design experience."

This has already been done in industrial settings and in the making of medical implants but it could really change things in the world of Desktop 3D printing.

It is still in prototype but the Digitizer should be available soon.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
It's a rat!

iBwSfAjR1Jlgq.jpg

A rat skeleton, not remarkable in that sense, except it's 3D printed - from a rat that is still alive and unharmed. CT scan data was used to create the model of the rat's skeleton and then print it out; this means any internal anatomy can be copied and printed at will - parts for anatomy classes, practice models for difficult tumor removal, etc.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amazon now has a 3D Printing Store, where you can customize and buy 3D-printed toys, jewelry, decor, and tech accessories, along with 3D printers and supplies.

not quite in the league of Shapeways but I can imagine they will expand their services. May bring down the cost of 3D printing

StarHalo

Flashaholic
- Art class; not flashlight related but perhaps the most noble use of the printer; I don't know if 3D scans of actual pieces of historic artwork are available, but it'd really be something if your local schools' art classes could have a discussion of Michaelangelo's David, and the the teacher could present the class with their copy of it..

London's British Museum now offers 14 of their artifacts for your 3D printing convenience.