A bit disapointed in the MCE optics

dnlwthrn

Newly Enlightened
I ordered one from Cutter (haven't received it yet), but it is 26.5mm. Not sure if that's the same one others are talking about.

canyon

Newly Enlightened
I try Ledil boomerang ss with single P7 and Mc-e led and get a lot flood. I get better results with dx flashlights reflectors like this mc-e http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2688112/ it`s ok for helmet.
Then I try Ledils with cree Q5, single was dim but promising and 3XQ5 was nice, so nice that 3XQ5 +ledil boomerang ss will be my next handlebar light.
Idon`t know why, but 3XQ5 gave a bit smaller and brighter flood that single P7 or mc-e at same reflector? ( and sorry my english spelling :)

aljsk8

Enlightened
hope this isnt railroading a bit but im in the uk and was thinking about making a 3x mce light hopefully with your help trout

i currently have a 3 xre setup with Q2-5A

you complain about beam paterns but my questions is
do 3 mce look insanly bright compared to 3 xre?

is it worth the upgrade?

another question is would any boost drivers work with 3mce
i have 12v 3700mah nimh packs that i would want to use

Alex

trout

Enlightened
hope this isnt railroading a bit but im in the uk and was thinking about making a 3x mce light hopefully with your help trout

i currently have a 3 xre setup with Q2-5A

you complain about beam paterns but my questions is
do 3 mce look insanly bright compared to 3 xre?

is it worth the upgrade?

another question is would any boost drivers work with 3mce
i have 12v 3700mah nimh packs that i would want to use

Alex

Hi Alex .

I suppose I am too picky and want perfection

in answer to your questions

yes 3 MCE is insanely bright and blows away anythink I have done before
here comes the but it would seem these multi emitter leds dont throw a beam too well and with my triple there is an area in front of the expanse of light that is dark and seems to annoy me when riding .

My answer to this you may have seen in the mag mce thread is to use 2 mce and 2 R2 s while I have not done a ride with this light yet ( tonight hopefully) it does seem to have the best of both worlds and fill in the dark area.

I am planning a 2 MCE 4 XRE light soon and plan to use the HIPFLEX driver
when it is available .

I am running the triple with a MaxFlex from a 14.8 v li ion and it is fine .

You would need to have your maxflex very well heat sinked from a 12 v pack but I think it will cope

steve6690

Enlightened
I had four optics arrive yesterday from Cutter. Two were from carclo - the 20mm and 26.5mm spot optics, 10193 and 10391. They are total rubbish. The Carclo website lists them as Luxeon optics which might explain that. I also have the Ledil Boom ss reflector which is very good for its size. A close second is the Ledil LM1-D 20mm optic. The boom just has a slightly more defined hotspot but either will be fine if you want a floody beam.

gibby_z

Newly Enlightened
I'm starting to think that the multichip leds are only going to be floods unless you want a lens projecting the chips.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Ledil EVA-D looks promising from the beamshot in the datasheet.

It is an 8 degree beam (spec). And it is 35mm diameter, which is probably what you need for a spot from a quad die LED.

I just got one from Brum's group buy and will wire it up to an MC-E soon.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
When You search for the best beam, why not try the best "normal" focusing device for an XR-E, when the MC-E is similar sized?

And that is the Sandwich Shoppe 19 mm reflector, nothing else
(and for sure no optic)

Has anyone tried this yet.:poke:

steve6690

Enlightened
Interestingly, the cheapo DX 18.5mm reflector is not bad with the MC-E. Very similar output to the Ledil LM1-D but slightly less defined hotspot. I haven't tried the SS 19mm reflector as I think it's too expensive.

clg0159

Enlightened
Maybe Ra could make a glass TIR that would work well. Even though it would be expensive it might be worth it.