A brief history of the HDS universe

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes, the frequency is consistently visible to me, and to my phone, more than on other modes

I simply avoid a preset at 5 lumens

there are also times when there is even more severe flicker, and yes, those can be reeducated by a flash of A mode

so there are little flickers, that are only slightly visible to my trained eye, at 5 lumens all the time, and then there are big obvious Flickers occasionally at other lower levels, that can be flashed back to non visible

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bumping this excellent thread. I missed out on Henry's earliest lights, except for the Arc4 and the Twisty 85tr. My first HDS lights were Clickys, but I sold them when the Rotaries came out. Rotaries are my mainstays now, but if the stainless steel Clicky becomes a reality, I will certainly get one.

muichimon

Newly Enlightened
I too am interested in the Ra twisty with the red low mode, if I can find one in original condition that has not been modded I would like to purchase it.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ra twisty with the red low mode
While youre waiting, the Red plus White option Im enjoying lately is the Emisar D2:
2.jpg

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread need some pictures from back in the day (not mine, I downloaded them way back when and don't know the source)

I think these xrays may have been from police scanner man, The schematics were from the HDS website for comparison:

Probably an Executive since it has a clip
Torchxray.jpg
ExecutiveDetails3.jpg

Below was labeled as a Rotary:
Rotary Xray jpg.jpg

RotarySDetails.jpg

Below looks like a twisty:
rarntgenko5.jpg
TwistySeeThrough.jpg

Attachments

• Rotary Xray jpg.jpg
    Rotary Xray jpg.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 12

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
and of course "pummeled": There is a whole story on this one, but I can't remember if this is the one that was shot with a shotgun or the one Henry would throw across the concrete at Shot Show
ClickyPummeled.jpg

I don't know if this is Henry, but he looks so mild mannered and not someone with flashlight rage issues:
167064_490570397746_662617746_6089307_2098938_n.jpg

Lithium466

Enlightened
I remember, I was there for many of these things (my original 2006 account was lost, and so was my marketplace account when the forums were separated). It was... a million years ago. HDS were tiny powerhouses back in the day!
The original ones had such good power efficiency at low levels! Sadly mine all "died" from leaky capacitors (not physically).

The "pummeled" you showed is from the parking lot beating, the one shot at came much later! I think it was to demonstrate how strong the new design was.
The story with Arc is also interesting, too bad the Arc 6 came a little too early, before emitters like the Cree XP-G or XM-L were able to handle such currents. Well it had too many shortcomings I guess.
And the Novatac story... Memories :)

Lithium466

Enlightened
This thread is sparkling some memories. I have...maybe over 15 HDS in storage somewhere, that I haven't touched in more than 7 years. I have a few out and somewhat used, but what sees the most activity is my bedside SPA defense modded with a Luxeon Rebel "super high CRI" (before that was trendy) 3500°K, and a simple Clicky 120 modded with a quad die Luxeon 5700°K emitter. Can't remember the specifics.

I also have a Twisty 100 high CRI that I never used, and some Rotary(ies) that I can't seem to like more than the Clicky(ies). I remember buying my first brand new 120 Clicky high CRI in the middle of the night from an Italian dealer. I was in France and couldn't sleep in the middle of the night, got a "back in stock" notification email for the High CRI (had subscribed months before, during the infamous "Henry two weeks" delays), just pressed buy, and then had remorse as it was the first time spending so much money on "a simple flashlight".