A flashlight with seat belt cutter and hammer

Saul

Newly Enlightened
I was searching on Amazon for a car escape tool. Cause that my friend just encountered a car accident which scared me!:(
Among the search results, I found a flashlight with seat belt cutter and hammer. Compared with other plastic tools, this one looks nice and heavy duty. But, it costs $59.97! Much more expensive than those $10 tools! Did you guys have any experience with this product, called Autoxscape?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B48R2PM/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Last edited by a moderator:

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, but no thanks. As a 30+ year Fire Fighter/ Paramedic, I can tell you that I wouldn't give you $5 dollars for that.

Skeeterg

Enlightened
I think it would be a handy tool for many. I like it,but it is spendy.

enki_ck

Newly Enlightened
Just get a Resqme and don't look back. Safer to use as window breaker and it easily attaches to you gear shift, or somewhere on you car keys.

Much safer than this huge thing that might go flying around the car in case of a crash and maybe even hurt you.

Saul

Newly Enlightened
Just get a Resqme and don't look back. Safer to use as window breaker and it easily attaches to you gear shift, or somewhere on you car keys. Much safer than this huge thing that might go flying around the car in case of a crash and maybe even hurt you.
Thanks for the recommendation. I just bought a Resqme and tested it. However, after several trials against a wood block, the tool jammed and the metal striker does not spring out anymore...Maybe I shouldn't have tried it with wood. But it would suck to find out that the one thing you got to get out of a bad car situation doesn't work when you need it. If you have got one, you'd better prepare a hammer as back-up.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one. It is total junk! Ironically I threw it in the trash on Sunday when I was cleaning my work bench. It is worthless to try and upgrade. Made of cheap aluminum and plastic.

Saul

Newly Enlightened
I have one. It is total junk! Ironically I threw it in the trash on Sunday when I was cleaning my work bench. It is worthless to try and upgrade. Made of cheap aluminum and plastic.
Hey, which product did you have? I just ordered one Autoxscape today since the cheap Resqme "surprised" me... If it's not worth the money, I'll let you know! Whatever, they offer 30-day no-hassel returns:b.

arKmm

Enlightened
Why do you need to have those two tools as part of the torch? It'd probably be easier to have them as a seperate tool, for which I can thoroughly recommend the ResQMe (providing you get the genuine one!)

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
get a pair of heavy duty scissors from harbor freight for 99 cents and a heavy duty flashlight (sturdy) and a good spring loaded center punch. Use the center punch on the window to shatter it and the flashlight to bash the rest of it out and the scissors to cut the seat belt.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
It all depends if you think your light is worth $60.00. I would also just buy a back up safety tool as a precaution.

enki_ck

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the recommendation. I just bought a Resqme and tested it. However, after several trials against a wood block, the tool jammed and the metal striker does not spring out anymore...Maybe I shouldn't have tried it with wood. But it would suck to find out that the one thing you got to get out of a bad car situation doesn't work when you need it. If you have got one, you'd better prepare a hammer as back-up.

As there are a lot of knock of ones around, I'm hoping you didn't buy a cheapo knockoff and are making your opinions based on that.

Also, why test it on wood? It's a glass breaker, not a wood saw. The wood reacts differently to the needle/centre punch in it, the centre punch would probably get stuck in the wood while it was trying to get back into the tool after it was deployed and the spring could get stretched.

You can't blame the tool for not performing if you use it for stuff it wasn't designed for. If you're testing a glass breaker, use it on glass. If you're testing a wood saw, then use it on wood.

Last edited:

arKmm

Enlightened
Using it against wood would probably break a ResQMe. Judging by your experience, it has. Don't do that again!