A Little Accident. W/123's and a Peli. M6

Ophiuchus

Newly Enlightened
Re: A Little Accident. Enjoy.

Appears to be Pelican M light and perhaps UKE 2L. Also appears to be mixed cells. A no-no even with alkaline cells.Please provide more information regarding lights and batteries involved.

stockae92

Enlightened

would it be a short in the batteries?

does the batteries has some kind of thermal shut down if it gets too hot (before it blows)?

what brands?

Brad01

Newly Enlightened

Looks ugly.
Pelican and UK 2L exploded...
Possibility of mixed cells
I dunno guys, I'm stayin' calm till RY3 explains.

greenLED

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
chevrofreak said:
I wouldnt be at all surprised if the M6 caused it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am not sure how the M6 is at fault here. I looks more like a battery short/pressure build-up issue. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

SolarFlare

Enlightened

Looking at the pictures I'd say it was mixing the cells, you should never mix cells of different chemistries or age or rechargables that are in different states of discharge. Doing this at best can lead to leakage and so damage your light and at worse what we see in the pics.

jtice

Flashaholic

well gee guys, if he doenst reply soon, maybe we should be worried ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

heh, my light collection shelf is right next to my bed,,, im not gonna be able to sleep for a week! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic

I really want to find out what happened but I feel it is a significant over-reaction to stop carrying flashlights if you are using American made 123A batteries according to the instructions (safety information provided).

Al

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
greenLED said:
[ QUOTE ]
chevrofreak said:
I wouldnt be at all surprised if the M6 caused it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am not sure how the M6 is at fault here. I looks more like a battery short/pressure build-up issue. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The M6 has a POS switch.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast

For those who made supposed-to-be-funny comments, I dont think this is a laughing matter. This not only happens to the batteries that we use in lights, but also with cellphone batteries. This can be dangerous when it happens and I would be quite upset if I was near while it did. Maybe I wouldnt even be able to BE upset if you know what I mean. Last time I think I heard about hydrogen (nitrogen?) build up and bein unable to release all that. It happened in a PT surge IIRC.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast

it is best and safest method of storing flashlight / batteries is to keep batteries out of the light. By storing batteries in flashlight. It can lead to drainage of batteries or overload. I always store my batteries outside of the flashlight fully charged.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

This potentially serious thread needs a different title. I almost missed it.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

Could a cell in the Pelican have been "cooked-off" by the other light's(?) demise and resulting fire? From the pics, it looks like there was a DP 123 and Duracell 123, presumably from the M6. It would have taken significant pressure to blow the tailcap from it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif (The only Pelican M6 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I have sports a 6W UV LED and I keep the tail 123 reversed for effective lockout. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Larry

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lots of folks will be interested in this, including the TSA I suppose. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

...well the angry & puzzled mob proceeded down the middle of town's main street. Someone grabbed a rope, others grabbed sticks, rocks, and whatever they could pick up to use in defense of life and property. In their minds, they felt they could render some primitive justice and prevent this from happening again! As the crowd started an angry, almost "crazed" chant of...

Sorry, it's just that we've all drawn from our own "amateur CSI" skills and seem to be on the "trail", given the obvious evidence. We need to find the victim or perhaps even a perpetrator here!

RY3, where you at? We need to conduct an interview or get a confession! Don't make us pull out all those ultraviolet lights we own (we've not had any good reasons, other than entertainment, to use them till now!). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

Sigman, as I find "jacklighting" scorpions with my UV (and subsequently murdering them) "entertaining," you're right! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

cy

Flashaholic

ry3, where are you???

got to know if some of those cells are li-ion..