A Mans Flashlight

BARB

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guy,
I need your help. My baby brother turns 60 this month and I want to get him the "man" flashlight. He's a hunter, fishes, restores cars...sorta a earthy guy. Can you suggest a flashlight that's high quality and would be fun for him to play with....one that's great to have, but he'd probably never by from himself? After 60 years I'm running out of gift ideas.

Imon

Enlightened
I think with unanimous agreement we can all recommend this hyper-masculine flashlight.

mini-pink-pig-flashlight.jpg

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, let's take this seriously. Her first post is a question about what to buy for her husband. That's a pretty great woman.

It would help to know what you thought you wanted to spend. Then the nuts around here will produce a list for you for sure.

obi

Roger999

Enlightened
Hi Guy,
I need your help. My baby brother turns 60 this month and I want to get him the "man" flashlight. He's a hunter, fishes, restores cars...sorta a earthy guy. Can you suggest a flashlight that's high quality and would be fun for him to play with....one that's great to have, but he'd probably never by from himself? After 60 years I'm running out of gift ideas.
Is he a person that prefers simple and straightforward things? or a gadget junky?

A surefire G2L would be my suggestion.

If you could fill out this it would help us narrow down the choices.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/276972

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
A SureFire would probably be the thing, but do note they use batteries that aren't commonly found elsewhere (CR123A).

For something with more common batteries (and a much lower price tag), my recommendation would be the XL100. The accelerometer-based mode selection should be interesting (for more info, click on my sig pic for my review of the light). :)

red02

Enlightened
Those OD G2Ls look really nice, originally made for the Marine Corps IIRC.

AA choices are somewhat slim.
SF E2L-AA
SF Saint - great for hunting, fishing, all around hands free work. Can use AAs. I don't think I'll be buying any more lights since getting the Saint. Personally I think this is the most useful light out there right now.

Certain sellers will give a 20% discount when buying SF products. The CPFMP will give you more info.

Last edited:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much are you looking to spend?

Yes, this is very important for us to know. Otherwise, it is not unreasonable for you to get recommendations up to $500 or more. The more background details you can give (interests, hobbies, potential uses, etc.) the better we can pinpoint our recommendations.

On our limited information so far, these two come to mind:
SureFire E2L-AA
HDS Systems EDC Executive

Also, :welcome:

-Robert

Last edited:

joe1512

Enlightened
I would recommend a flashlight based on AA batteries. This way you don't have to worry about specialty batteries. CR123 based lights are alright, but the batteries are expensive to get locally.
Ideally you would give him rechargable AAs too.

Assuming a 100 dollar budget,

I'd get an itp A6 Polestar from goinggear for 72 bucks shipped. Id get a 4 pack of Eneloops +charger and a 2 pack +charger from amazon for another 30 bucks. That would let him recharge all 6 batteries at once which I think is important. (ask if he already has a charger 1st tho)

The Polestar produces 700 lumens rating for way of comparison. It is extremely bright and makes a wall of light. It doesnt have a very glaring hotspot which makes it very usable at shorter range.
It has 3 brightness levels that are well spaced out and 1 useless Strobe mode. It is about the size of a 2C Maglite so it has decent heft and size. Comes with a lanyard and holster.

A 200 dollar budget,

Same as above except buy a Fenix TK45 instead of the itp A6 Polestar. Looks really cool and is better built and a bit brighter. 8xAA batteries. The TK40 is worth looking at too for a more traditional look.

50 dollar budget,

There are several nice 2xAA lights out there which can be recommended. A 2xAA eneloop pack+charger is nice, which leaves an itp SA2 light, or a Romisen 2xAA XP-G light as good options.

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-213/Romisen-RC-dsh-N3-II-CREE/Detail

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Barb.
Welcome to CPF, I'm sure you will get many suggestions here. I ask that all the CPF members who give suggestions here take the time to give the exact make and model for her so she knows what to shop for.

My suggestions would be depend upon your advice.
There are lots of good choices to buy.

Does he take care of his stuff or tend not to? I have a relative who doesn't take care of anything. I could buy him the best of anything and it will be used and thrown here and there with no thought or care given to the item. He treats all his stuff like that, cars as well. I would tend to buy him a well made plastic brand type light that is not too expensive such as a Streamlight, Princeton Tec that takes AA or C batteries. He would never pay the price for CR123 batteries.

BARB

Newly Enlightened
He takes care of certain things -- items like tools, fishing gear he takes very good care of.

damn_hammer

Enlightened
The Fenix LD40 is coming out soon. The LD40 takes common AA (4) batteries, has adjustable output, very bright. This light also uses a "Neutral" color tint so there should be less eye strain, and better contrast in the outdoors. My only hesitation is that it hasn't been released yet, so there hasn't been any hands on reviews. Fenix is a well known brand that's been around awhile, so there's not much to worry about. A quick search of Fenix LD40 has one of the dealers showing a ship date of 10/6, so next Wednesday it's being released. It's priced just over $70 before any discounts that might apply.

Here's a link to the flashlight makers' website describing the product: http://www.fenixlight.com/viewproduct.asp?id=127

Here's a link to the dealers that offer CandlePower Forum members a discount: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=181841

Last edited:

Kindle

Enlightened
Hey, let's take this seriously. Her first post is a question about what to buy for her husband. That's a pretty great woman.

You might want to reread that first post unless you're implying they're keeping in it the family. :eek:oo:

Another SureFire recommendation here.

The new G2X Pro is in your price range. Well built, simple to operate, great warranty & very reliable.

It's also multi-mode so your brother can use the lower (15 lumen) setting for most of the things he'll use it for and turn it up (200 lumen) when needed.

Yes CR123s can be more expensive...but Lowes carries them at a reasonable price.

Hevy Lite

Newly Enlightened
+1 on the LD40..... If you make a couple of posts over on the Marketplace forum you will have access to the CPF discounts. This would bring the LD40 into your range.

BARB

Newly Enlightened
thanks everyone - i just placed my order for the Fenix LD40. :wave:

computernut

Enlightened
The LD40 is a great choice, I'm thinking of picking one up. It's a pretty retro design with the double-barrelled AA's. The Neutral-White tint would be good for outdoors stuff.