A New Acquisition, and Rather Unique: milkyspit X-800

c0t0d0s0

Enlightened
Was Kapton used to isolate negative slugs of SSC emitters from the heatsink? If so, did you find its thermal conductivity sufficient for the application?

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was Kapton used to isolate negative slugs of SSC emitters from the heatsink? If so, did you find its thermal conductivity sufficient for the application?

No, kapton tape insulates the legs electrically to protect against shorts, and is not in the thermal path at all. I know there exist kapton thermal pads of some sort but as I have no experience with them, afraid I can't comment on their effectiveness.

Incidentally, the slugs are positive, not negative.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the details milkyspit!!! :) I took the family for a walk around the neighborhood this evening (brrrrr... must have been 15 degrees with a strong wind blowing) and we took the "Chrononster II" along. It lit up the sidewalk 100' in front of us- before sunset! :) Wow.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chronos;2315439It is a Hinderer XM-18 with a cranberry scale.:twothumbs[/QUOTE said:
It sure is. I saw the knife before the light! :sick: Do you have any other multi emitter lights for comparison?

cat

Enlightened
Chronos, thanks for a good thread. Very nice photos.

It sure is. I saw the knife before the light!

That knife got my attention too. :eek:oo: Cranberry. :drool:
It's re-awakened my knife obsession. Just as well I can't just buy one.
But if you ever want to sell it, please send me a PM. :thumbsup: ...
....I've got this urge to google Hinderer XM-18 now and see what comes up. Just maybe someone is selling a cranberry one. ...Unlikely.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL The thread is about the cool light guys! ;) But since it is my thread...

The XM-18 is an AMAZING knife. The attention to detail, the fit, are exceptional. If you can find one, buy it. You won't be disappointed.

Here's a couple more pics (teasers? ;) ) One shows it next to an SnG, sort of variations on a theme (both have ~3.5" blades, tanto vs. spanto, similar construction, and of course the Hinderer bar). All measurements are so close to one-another.

cat

Enlightened
aahh! :ohgeez:

I've already checked steeladdiction and edcknives and some others listed on Rick Hinderer's website. I logged in to bladeforums for the first time in about 8 months, then I had to do some work.
I saw a nice pale green one. If yours had been the usual black, I'd have just carried on looking at the light - it was the cranberry red that got me.
There are only a few knives I really like enough to buy now. One is an Anso Bastid.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
You probably know this, but you can buy replacement G10 from Rick for $65. I'm probably going to pick up a high-vis orange scale.

Check out the Anso Outbreaks... wow! His forum on USN is killah.:devil:

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW!!!
This 67 really caught my eye too:

His folders are on my list to acquire. :thumbsup:

cat

Enlightened
Good photos.
That's about as fancy as I can like. The fancy folders, all the ornate Ti stuff is not for me. I like the Bastid - the handle, the blade shape - perfect.

There is an Xm-18 for sale on bladeforums, but I don't like the look of the Sharpmaker job on the front of the blade.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
An XM-18 came up on USN this am and sold in minutes.

I had an Extreme Firetac (stunning blue-to-purple anodize on the Ti scales) with an ironwood inlay. I traded it as I knew I could never use it, it was just too ornate and pretty. Anso's designs are a stunning combination of form and function. The Bastid is great!

kavvika

Enlightened
Just beautiful! The closest I'll probably ever come to that is a 2C Maglite running 2x 18650's with one of Malkoff's 3x Seoul modules. A C-cell multi LED based Mag mod has always been the object of infatuation for me.:bow:

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a couple of pics of my (gone) Firetac Extreme... number two ever made, first with ironwood inserts. Oh well...

les_garten

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
This is my first post here! I've been reading a lot for the past 2 weeks or so.

Chronos, I'm mystified by this statement about your light...

"I do a bit of night time hiking and geocaching. My buddies and I often trek off the beaten track, looking for opportunities to get away from the daily stresses of city and suburban life. I wanted a light that was rugged, one that my life could depend upon... just in case."

Don't get me wrong, you have a beautiful light here. But the Runtime sux for wandering off into the woods hoping a light may save your life. I have 3 MagLites presently that look really interesting because I could mod them and get great runtime. If I were going outside my neighborhood, I would rather have a mod'd Maglite than the "FlameThrower" you have here. A half hour of runtime is a Playtoy, it's not a Flashlight for practical use, at least to me. Just my .02

Kewl light though, no doubt. I found this thread looking for Maglight Mods, I also just Received my Fenix T1 in the mail today, but I feel it is a Toy because of the runtime on RCR123a's.

Les

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interesting thoughts!

I don't hike with 800 lumens of light on constantly. I'm often out for 3+ hours at a time. I find myself typically using a floody low output headlight for the majority of a hike as I like to keep my eyes night-adjusted.

That said, I also like to have a BRIGHT light as sometimes we come across critters and "things that go bump in the night" as well as situations where a potent light is needed. Instant on is a consideration as is beam quality. A year ago we came across a river that we needed to cross. We used a higher-output light to help find the safest route down the cliff, across the water, and back up the cliff on the other side. I was able to remain stationary on one side as my buddies crossed to my light. Another time we came across a fresh kill... we used a bright light to search that the area was clear and find the quickest way out.

That said, it takes me 30 seconds to swap the cells. And each cell is incredibly light, so packing a few is a non-issue weight wise. I can have hours of runtime with me if needed. I also believe that one light is no light, and two lights are one light. However, to have a light this bright, with such a perfectly balanced beam, with SAFE non-venting cells (do a search on 123 venting incidents, including tests by Newbie... I had one light destroyed due to venting, and now keep my spare loose 123s stored in an ammo can)... like all things, it is a tradeoff. Also, the light is almost the same size as a Surefire M3T, with around 3x the output, with similar runtime... or similar average output to a Surefire M6, but with a single, rechargeable cell vs. reams of expensive (and potentially dnagerous) 123s. Also this beam will stay in regulation, whereas these incans will reduce in output during their run. There are very few LEDs in this class.

I'd also suggest reading up on A123 cells. I think we'll start seeing more and more applications of these cells in high-draw lights such as similar multi-LED lights and hotwire incans. This light could have been built with LiOn 18650s but they have issues with such high-draw applications.

So, in balance, this is the first LED that I've owned that matches the output of some of the finest incans on the market, with safe rechargeable cells (I can pick up spares at my Lowes and Home Depot stores ;) ), and a level of redundancy that can't be matched.

I hope that helps! :)

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread was getting dangerously close to back on topic!:tinfoil:

You probably know this, but you can buy replacement G10 from Rick for $65. I'm probably going to pick up a high-vis orange scale.

Check out the Anso Outbreaks... wow! His forum on USN is killah.:devil:

I saw your Anso and just had to get one in Orange, unfortunately all I could find was this plain ol' Hinderer:whistle:.

CIMG0194.jpg