A New Acquisition, and Rather Unique: milkyspit X-800

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update.

How's this monster holding up? :devil:
LOL The beast is doing GREAT. I've got a night hike planned for later this week when I get back into town, and I'll be taking the beast along. Muhahahahahahah!:twothumbs

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread was getting dangerously close to back on topic!:tinfoil:

I saw your Anso and just had to get one in Orange, unfortunately all I could find was this plain ol' Hinderer:whistle:.

CIMG0194.jpg

Yeah, it is ok, I guess. Sort of ok. Yeah. Whatever...

*******!!! :thumbsup:

I love it!!!

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chronos, If Rick is hard to get hold of The Knife Cellar also sells replacements scales. I've been thinking about black and maybe cranberry as I've always liked your XM.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
While waiting for the family to get ready to go out for lunch I had a few minutes to kill so I ran an impromptu runtime test. I sat in the family room with the kids, and as they watched SpongeBob SquarePants I turned the "Chrononster II" on, sat it on a coffee table in front of me, and timed it.

At 46 minutes the light dropped out of regulation. It dropped to three emitters, then within two minutes it dropped to two emitters. Three minutes later it dropped to one emitter. The light level of this emitter started to then drop, from an estimated 120 or so lumens (compared output in a ceiling bounce test vs. a 120 lumen light- nothing scientific, just an estimate). At the one hour and 15 minute stage it had dropped to an estimated 40 lumens of output. I stopped the exercise as we are almost ready to grab a bite to eat. Finally! ;)

In all, pretty impressive for an 800 lumen, single-cell light, eh? :twothumbs It provides plenty of notice when the cell is nearing exhaustion, and puts out ample light for emergency purposes.

The heatsinking was very efficient. The head began to warm to the touch at 10 minutes, and by 30 the head was quite warm (not too hot to touch, by any means) and the body was warm. I also have installed a stainless stell combat bezel, and it warmed as the head warmed.

I've taken it on a couple of night hikes and the finish has held up magnificently. No nicks, mars, scratches of any kind. It still looks new, as does the bezel. The spare a123 cell seems to weigh about the same as a cr123 cell, so packing light isn't an issue.

I've got a 15-20 mile night hike in the planning stages, so I'm going to pick up a few more cells to have on hand. It takes about 30 seconds max to swap cells, and it takes mere minutes to recharge a cell (the "JoeCharger" does a magnificent job of charging the cells... a must-have for anyone with an a123-based light!). I don't use it as my primary light (that is what my headlamp is for) but for those times when crossing a creek or river (on the last hike we crossed a deep creek via a downed tree. Fun stuff at night- 15' off the water, walking across a damp, dead tree :) ). Or when we scale a wall or traverse a small gorge (a lot of lighting is definitely appreciated then!). Or when something goes "bump." :) Or whenever a lot of light is appreciated. :faint:

For grins I'm making a screening of "The Blair Witch Project" a prerequisite before heading out on the next night hike. I think dinner (carbs) and a little, local horror movie will set the appropriate tone. ;)

brightnorm

Flashaholic
...At 46 minutes the light dropped out of regulation...It provides plenty of notice when the cell is nearing exhaustion, and puts out ample light for emergency purposes...The spare a123 cell seems to weigh about the same as a cr123 cell, so packing light isn't an issue.

This is even more impresssive than the initial estimate. The brightness equivalent of an X10 for a fully regulated 46 minutes, without LiON's "sudden death" plus easy carry of more cells. This must make it truly unique.

Scott has done a few terrific mods for me but yours is a real winner!

Brightnorm