AA & 14500 flashlight

RoGuE_StreaK

Enlightened
Not sure if I'd use it as an EDC, but check out the sipik68 and it's clones. For $5 or so you can put one in everything you carry.
Personally for a general-purpose EDC I prefer a small reflectored (or TIR) flashlight with modes; a low mode is often most useful on a daily use basis, getting a tad more light on a subject or looking for something that's rolled under the couch. Hotspot and spill work best for me for such things. Haven't looked for an AA/14500 version though as I already have a couple of 16340 torches that fit the bill.

[EDIT] How about the Akoray K106 (5mode)? Price is decent ($12), modes to suit different situations, reviews seem pretty good. Older Cree XR-E, but still perfectly fine. Roughly the AA/14500 version of my EDC, the Akoray K109. Nothing spectacular, but I've had it for several years and it's still going strong, still highly useful for general daily use.

Last edited:

dna89

Newly Enlightened
Zebralight SC52 But it certainly will cost more than $5

61at.jpg

markr6

Flashaholic
That SC52 is hard to beat. The EagleTac D25A is another option for a little less (about $50). It may also carry better for EDC since it's slim and had a deep carry pocket clip. The D25A Mini would be even smaller and less expensive ($38-ish) with it's twist switch.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I like my H600 and am surprised about its small size every time I use it,
that AA Zebra only looks ugly/bulky.

How about the actual bunch of the Quark Mini AA?
My old "warm white" one is allowed to be fed with AA as well as 14500, is this still possible?
(mainly use 14500)

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
L3 Illumination L10. 3 or 4 modes. Nichia 219 or XP-G2. Runs on either AA, Eneloops or li-ions. Many positive reviews/comments on CPF for this value light. Use the search to find out more.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
MDC AA. Very nice. Had replaced my HDC clicky as an EDC for a few weeks.

Edit:

Looks like the newer LL-L-H MDC AA no longer takes 14500 batteries so that's off the list.

Last edited:

bietjiedof

Newly Enlightened
My old "warm white" one is allowed to be fed with AA as well as 14500, is this still possible?
(mainly use 14500)
The Eagletac D25A Clicky (XM-L2) takes a 14500 and produces 750 lumens from that chemistry. The Crelant V11A takes AA and 14500, and produces 450lumens with the li-ion battery.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Eagletac D25A Clicky (XM-L2) takes a 14500 and produces 750 lumens from that chemistry. The Crelant V11A takes AA and 14500, and produces 450lumens with the li-ion battery.

I have a D25A clicky and you'll get 750 lumens (direct drive) for 5 mins max if you can hold it that long!

RoGuE_StreaK

Enlightened
As the OP hasn't shown up here yet, I'll just add that originally this was posted in the "Budget Lights" thread and was moved; don't know what various people's take on "budget" is, but mine's sub-$20 or so hence my recommendations. I'm sure there's a lot more capable lights out there, but appeared that the OP was after something "cheap"? (don't think any info of where a thread originated from is included when it is moved by a mod?)

Etsu

Enlightened
SC52 seems to get you the highest output on a 14500 (280 lumens). Another option is the Quark QPA. It should be over 200 lumens. If you really want to get the most output, you could buy a QP2A-X (the XML2 version) and a single AA tube for it. That should get over 300 lumens on a 14500 battery.

bmel17

Newly Enlightened
I've been EDCing an olight s15. takes 14500 and AA and produces 280 lm all for a low price of $38 shipped

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
SC52 seems to get you the highest output on a 14500 (280 lumens). Another option is the Quark QPA. It should be over 200 lumens. If you really want to get the most output, you could buy a QP2A-X (the XML2 version) and a single AA tube for it. That should get over 300 lumens on a 14500 battery.

The SC52 does 280 lumens with an Eneloop - with a 14500, it does 500 lumens (albeit only for one minute before stepdown). Honestly, for an EDC, how often do you need more than a minute on high anyway?

Etsu

Enlightened
Oops, you're right. I was thinking just AA. Yeah, the SC52 seems to be the lumen king.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
L3 Illumination L10. 3 or 4 modes. Nichia 219 or XP-G2. Runs on either AA, Eneloops or li-ions. Many positive reviews/comments on CPF for this value light. Use the search to find out more.

+1

Given out about 7 out of the 10 Nichia 219 L10s I ordered as gifts, mainly to 'outdoorsy' people but also veterinary, photography etc who appreciate the "Oh, that's an LED that's not blue" tint.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast

The SC52 does 280 lumens with an Eneloop - with a 14500, it does 500 lumens (albeit only for one minute before stepdown). Honestly, for an EDC, how often do you need more than a minute on high anyway?

I kind of collect in the 1xAA/14500/efficient/sub-lumen category, have both lights (as well as many recommended above), and test lights with both a light meter and stopwatch. You really can't compare spec sheets between these two manufacturers since they sit on opposite ends of the conservative vs liberal ANSI interpretations. SC52 specs (output and runtime) are nearly identical to the 2-cell QP2A-X across most modes - but their performance is certainly not and can be easily seen if you overlay Selfbuilt's output/runtime graphs. On the lower end, incredibly, the SC52 claims to be 30-50% more efficient (runtime) on the SAME 0.3 and 3 lm modes as the Quark, and with less than half the battery power! Well, this is how they do it:
9492393511_fc5b6329eb.jpg

That said, I do find the SC52 ~ 25% brighter than the single-cell configured QAAX on an Eneloop or 14500, but you'll need equipment to see it, and the lumen increase is mostly offset by runtime reductions - ie, both seem more or less equally efficient. Disregarding the conservative/exaggerated marketing claims, these two are the best I have found in the AA/14500 category. Losing, or significantly shifting, the lower modes on 14500s (many lights recommended above suffer this), and the inefficiency of magnetic rings, are deal breakers for me. The SC52 wins on size, cost, "nicer" build quality feel, and UI/modes. The Quark AAX wins on battery versatility (both chemistry and configs - ie, IFR, IMR, CRAA and 2xAA, 1xCR123, etc), durability/reliability/field serviceability, warranty and customer service (US).

I personally prefer the Quark.

Dionysis78749

Newly Enlightened
I have a D25A clicky and you'll get 750 lumens (direct drive) for 5 mins max if you can hold it that long!

True, but all modes light that bright. A light that can on only be used for 5 minutes is purely a novelty light, not an EDC. So for EDC purposes, the D25A is only useful with the AA.

Dionysis78749

Newly Enlightened
As the OP hasn't shown up here yet, I'll just add that originally this was posted in the "Budget Lights" thread and was moved; don't know what various people's take on "budget" is, but mine's sub-$20 or so hence my recommendations. I'm sure there's a lot more capable lights out there, but appeared that the OP was after something "cheap"? (don't think any info of where a thread originated from is included when it is moved by a mod?)

As far as budget goes, does anyone have experience with lights on shining beam dot com? They have some 1AA lights for sub $20; Romisen RC-G2 X Cree XP-G2 R5, Romisen RC-G2 III, RC-29 G2 Cree XP-G2 R5 Flood-to-Throw.

I just took a chance and ordered a 1x18650 Convoy from Shining Beam, should arrive any day now. I guess the only correlation between that and this discussion might be an indicator of whether they have good taste in illuminators.