AA powered lights with a side switch - what are the options

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have many different lights, using many different power sources and my preferences are moving towards AA as a power source (with 2 x AA as my ideal size) and a side switch as I really dislike tail-cap switches. I also prefer a metal torch to a plastic one and want the power and performance of torches like the Nitecore IFD2 and Quark AA2 with the very low low these offer up to the high max outputs.

So far I am struggling to find good options for this configuration. The closest so far is a single AA, the Zebralight SC51, but this is too small for me and I would like it in a 2 x AA configuration.

Does anyone know of any options I have missed?

Though my primary requirements are:
Side switch (not tail switch)
2 x AA
Moonlight mode
High max output

I am also interested in any other similar lights with a side switch any battery as the power source.

So far the ones I have found are:

Fenix TK45 (AA powered, but large and no moonlight mode)
Fenix TK50 (2 x D, so large and no moonlight mode)
Zebralight SC60 (18650, otherwise pretty good fit)
Zebralight SC600 (18650, bigger and brighter than the SC60 otherwise pretty good fit)
ITP A6 (AA powered, but large and no moonlight mode)
Maglite C and D series lights (big and outdated/outperformed)

Last edited:

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check the iTP SA2. It has tail switch for on/off and side switch for mode change.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check the iTP SA2. It has tail switch for on/off and side switch for mode change.

An absolute requirement is no tail switch. I was hopeful when I first saw the iTP SA2, but very disappointed to find it still had the on-off switch as a tail switch.

Ishango

Enlightened
The Zebralight SC51w is the only option I was able to find as well. Probably other members will have more options. I find the SC51w to be very comfortable even though my hands are quite large.

How about one of those custom 1D Mags I've seen around here (on the Market Place)? Some of these take three AA's instead of a single D-cell and would fit your description. However multi-mode would be more difficult to find I think.

bedazzLED

Enlightened
Have you had a look at the Proton Pro?

It's not quite as high-powered as the IFD2, but it is 115+ lumens, side-switch, single AA, has a pretty good low.
Other than that, I think you might be struggling to find your ideal light.

If you were willing to go a little bigger, then what about the Sunwayman M30A and M40A?
No tailcap clicky, just the rotary ring, which controls off, low, med, .......
However, they don't have moonlight mode.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you had a look at the Proton Pro?

It's not quite as high-powered as the IFD2, but it is 115+ lumens, side-switch, single AA, has a pretty good low.
Other than that, I think you might be struggling to find your ideal light.

If you were willing to go a little bigger, then what about the Sunwayman M30A and M40A?
No tailcap clicky, just the rotary ring, which controls off, low, med, .......
However, they don't have moonlight mode.

In the single AA category, the Zebralight SC51 is the winner for me and has a moonlight mode, but as I mentioned, I really want 2 x AA.

The Sunwayman look interesting, but I really want the side click switch as I would find this easier and simpler to operate.

Why don't Zebralight make a 2 x AA or extension tube for the SC51?

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have many different lights, using many different power sources and my preferences are moving towards AA as a power source (with 2 x AA as my ideal size) and a side switch as I really dislike tail-cap switches...
Does anyone know of any options I have missed?

Though my primary requirements are:
Side switch (not tail switch)
2 x AA
Moonlight mode
High max output
I am also interested in any other similar lights with a side switch any battery as the power source.

subwoofer, I feel your pain! Decent lights with side switches are few and far between.

I actually prefer tail switches on AAA penlights and similar very small task lights.

I can tolerate a tail switch on a bigger utility light, although I greatly prefer side switches on utiltity lights.

But I absolutely HATE a tail switch on any light used for walking and general outdoor activities.

I like to walk along with a light in my hand, held at the ready with thumb on the side switch. It can be clicked on in an instant to check out what's in front of me.

With a tail switch light I'm forced to raise my arm to see in front of me, which really sucks! Much slower and just a pain in the ***!

Streamlight makes a fair number of quality lights with side switches, but most are bigger rechargeable models. The smaller SL Tasklight 2AA and 2L models might be of interest, and also the SL 2AA Sidewinder, but none of these will meet your output requirements.

Underwater Kinetics offers several compact, safety rated, industrial and dive lights that are 4AA or 3AA. Great lights - very reliable, rugged, waterproof, and with great side switches.

Specifying a 2AA light with high output, side switch, and moon mode will probably eliminate all available production lights. You'd probably have to go to a custom light or else mod an existing production light.

Good luck in your search for the perfect side switch light.

obriencr

Newly Enlightened
The Proton Pro is worth investigating. A single AA light, side switch, with variable output. Has a secondary red light to preserve night vision.

Regards.

Neil

obriencr

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix TK41 and TK45 are side switches but also oversized.
Klarius has a tailswitch for the on off so that's out.
The Pelican 7060led has a tailswitch or side switch (both turn it on) also not an AA light :( hmmm

That's a great question you have. Although Zebralight has new models coming out, I don't see any being 2aa sized.

I like the 4-6 inch lights ao I feel your pain. the side switch on an aluminum,quality 2aa light. I'm stumped

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TK45 is a great floody light... It may take a little getting used to from a design perspective, but the light delivers a BRILLIANTLY BRIGHT, clean, artifact-free, relatively neutral tint, floody light from 8 AA Eneloops. About 800 fricken beautiful lumens... Pretty sweet. Nice side switch, AA, and BRIGHT light! I love mine.

Additionally, of course, the wonderful Zebralights are wonderful choices for smaller form factor.

There's plenty of room at my house for both the TK45 and the Zebras.

Last edited:

tygger

Enlightened
Why don't Zebralight make a 2 x AA or extension tube for the SC51?

I imagine because they would have to change the circuit. According to ZL website the SC51 input voltage is only 0.7-2.5V. It may be fine with Eneloops but L91's may :poof:

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast

Check out the upcoming Mags over at led-resource.com :
http://www.led-resource.com/2011/03/maglite-new-products-for-2011/

I'm really excited by the new ML100 model. Available in 2C and 3C versions, at just over 9 inches and 11 inches length respectively, both versions will have very good runtimes.

Output will be relatively modest at something over 100 lumens, but that bigger 2 inch diameter head produces a hotspot intensity of over 16,000 cd! Throw on these guys will be excellent.

Not only does the ML100 have a side switch, it offers user customizable function sets made up of full power, low power, strobe, SOS, and momentary functions.

I could set my light to the function set with:
-Momentary full power
-Constant full power
-Constant low power

If I pick this function set, then I will never encounter the strobe and SOS functions.

I've always been a sucker for 2C form factor lights as they fit my hand better than a 2D, fit better in a back pocket than a 2D, and offer a good compromise between the better throw and runtime of a 2D and the smaller form factor of a 2AA.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
If you didn't have to have a moonlight mode there have been some 2AA lights with side switches (mostly single mode) in stores like energizer made one I think even had two modes I have an old river rock 2AA with side switch that uses a glass lens/optic also.

fnj

Enlightened
I imagine because they would have to change the circuit. According to ZL website the SC51 input voltage is only 0.7-2.5V. It may be fine with Eneloops but L91's may :poof:

The SC51 is known to work fine with lithium ion 4.2 volt if you can make the positive contact work. It won't blow up. Zebralight has simply removed official support because they are not confident about the safety of 14500s. So it would work just fine with 2 alkalines or two L91s if they wanted to go to the trouble of making a new housing.

Personally it is my belief they don't see the point of a 2AA monstrosity any more than I do. I know it is a personal preference and I'm not knocking it; just not understanding it.

Lightman2

Enlightened
I think the Photon Pro and Zebra SC51 are your best choices and I have both. My reviews some time in the next few days for the Zebra. The threading on the Photon is very fine and I do not think it is IPX waterproff rated so you may want to check that first before buying. Customer service is great with Photon and they have helped this overseas buyer a few times (Lifetime warranty works great) but am still waiting for a reply from Zebra on my SC51 question.

pageyjim

Enlightened
The Spark SL6 has a side switch that can turn on the light and control modes. There is an endcap switch also but it can be disabled according to one thread and possibly replaced.

I am sorry I missed the need for AA batteries. I do believe they are coming out with a similar version in the AA format.

Last edited:

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the suggestions.

Although not my ideal format, the single AA Proton Pro is a possibility as it has a very similar interface to the Freedom Micro I have on my keys. Although the SC51 has an easier interface as the ramping on the Photons is quite slow and the SC51 will go quite a bit brighter (I already have the H51 which is just the right-angle version).

The problem I have with the Photon Pro is that it won't come on in white low, as unlike the freedom micro, the on-low mode is red. I like a low white as I find red difficult to make out things with. Saying that I am not discounting it yet.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SC51 is known to work fine with lithium ion 4.2 volt if you can make the positive contact work. It won't blow up. Zebralight has simply removed official support because they are not confident about the safety of 14500s. So it would work just fine with 2 alkalines or two L91s if they wanted to go to the trouble of making a new housing.

Personally it is my belief they don't see the point of a 2AA monstrosity any more than I do. I know it is a personal preference and I'm not knocking it; just not understanding it.

That is very interesting, would the H51 also work with a 14500? That was one thing I was a little disappointed about when I got it. Presumably it shares the same circuitry as the SC51.

A 2AA monstrosity just feels better in my hand.... oh dear, that didn't sound quite how I meant it, but you know what I mean.

The Ultrafire C3 I have has the optional extension tube so you can have 1AA or 2AA. If Zebralight just made an optional extension you would have a choice of size and runtime.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you didn't have to have a moonlight mode there have been some 2AA lights with side switches (mostly single mode) in stores like energizer made one I think even had two modes I have an old river rock 2AA with side switch that uses a glass lens/optic also.

Unfortunately, the moon mode is one of my main requirements as I either use super low or high modes. This makes it very difficult to find my ideal torch.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Unfortunately, the moon mode is one of my main requirements as I either use super low or high modes. This makes it very difficult to find my ideal torch.
I once though about getting a nice side clicky LED light with a mechanical two stage switch and put a dropping resistor on the lower mode myself but knowing how one is made such that it could be modded that way is the problem.