• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

AAA / 10440

phosphor22

Enlightened
-- For me, a great smooth beam with not too much of a hot spot, and great on AAA NiMH
-- reckon a nice clip would be a good idea - I do love the dark sucks clips and put one on a Preon
-- I would indeed add #10 -- in addition to #4, #9 (my favorite) and #11
-- would also love copper...

Last edited:

RGRAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in!
I'll vote for #4, the shorter the better, definitely with trits and high quality throw lens, no clip.
Copper would be nice too.
Maybe Damascus?
I can't wait!

Last edited:

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pumped that you are considering an AAA. I am with Archimedes and would love a good quality glass aspheric. I believe the Univex light sold by KuKu a few years ago had one of these.

What if the light had an electronic switch like the one Tain makes... it would just fit if the tail was made oh so slightly wider. That would solve the switching issues. Works on 10440. Not sure if they would work with the MTN drivers, but I suspect they would.

I like number 11.

eala

archimedes

Flashaholic
Pumped that you are considering an AAA. I am with Archimedes and would love a good quality glass aspheric. I believe the Univex light sold by KuKu a few years ago had one of these....

I have a Univex with the lens .... Although a very nice flashlight, that lens is not glass and does not actually provide much throw.

The type and quality of aspheric I am thinking of is more on the order of ~ $100, just for the lens alone.

Last edited:

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Univex with the lens .... Although a very nice flashlight, that lens is not glass and does not actually provide much throw.

The type and quality of aspheric I am thinking of is more on the order of ~ $100, just for the lens alone.

Oh that is interesting. I always assumed it was glass. Glad I did not buy one. I am not an exposed plastic kinda dude.

Wow, that is pricey for the lens. I might be crazy enough to pay for it. Can you PM me a link to it out of interest.

Thanks,
eala

archimedes

Flashaholic
The Univex lens still sits under a "window" (not certain, perhaps glass)

I don't have a particular product in mind, just seen high quality aspheric lenses going for that approximate price.

okluma

Enlightened
My wife thinks 11 looks like a lipstick container, in a good way. She said she'd carry that one in her purse

okluma

Enlightened
Any news on the AAA / 10440 project?
I've settled on the FET driver from mountain, but other than that, no progress yet. I've just been wrapping up this last batch of Ti, which should be ready on next Friday.

Ladd

Enlightened
I've settled on the FET driver from mountain, but other than that, no progress yet. I've just been wrapping up this last batch of Ti, which should be ready on next Friday.

That driver, in its various iterations, has a lot to offer. It demands a certain amount of respect in the small form factor as it becomes a real hand-warmer on the highest modes. I like to have four levels in a small light, with a decent moonlight. These are standard offerings from MTN. In several builds, I have had 100% success with this driver. Richard's drivers seem to be very solid in terms of design, features, and quality of construction.

okluma

Enlightened
That driver, in its various iterations, has a lot to offer. It demands a certain amount of respect in the small form factor as it becomes a real hand-warmer on the highest modes. I like to have four levels in a small light, with a decent moonlight. These are standard offerings from MTN. In several builds, I have had 100% success with this driver. Richard's drivers seem to be very solid in terms of design, features, and quality of construction.
I've been considering getting Richard to drop the level of high, maybe to 80% or so. I haven't built one up yet, but I'm concerned about the heat with such a small form factor.