AAA Rechargeable Batteries

baumgrenze

Newly Enlightened
Before Covid changed the world, I relied on Thomas Distributing to supply AA and AAA batteries for a reasonable price. Have forum participants found an alternative during the 2+ years since Thomas closed?

I need to order some new batteries. I found the offerings on both eBay and Amazon so confusing that I gave up ordering and came here.

Since the classic Eneloops became available, I've used NiMH chemistry in household flashlights, remotes, keyboards, mice, and my trusty little Canon A590 point-and-shoot camera that gives me amazing control over the process of capturing an image. I simply pack a spare pair of batteries in my camera case.

In the winter, I seem to need to use conventional lithium batteries in the outdoor sender for my remote thermometer. Might it work just fine on rechargeable lithium batteries. I see that my MH_C401FS can charge both NiMH and lithium batteries. I also see that ebl rechargeable lithium batteries can be charged with a USB cell phone charger. Is this 'acceptable practice'? It seems as though there is less control against overcharging the batteries.

Thanks
baumgrenze

Burgess

Flashaholic
Yes, indeed --

I was very saddened when
Thomas Distributing closed.

:cry:

turbodog

Flashaholic
Amazon...

I use the aaa for work. Have same set going on 4 years now. Charged weekly.

1680699274045.png

Poppy

Flashaholic
Our long time respected member
HKJ does intensive battery tests, and rated the EBL AA 2300mHh well.

Based on that I suspect that the EBL line of batteries is a decent line.

Regarding 1.5 volt rechargeable lithiums, performing similarly to 1.6V lithium primaries, I suspect they will perform similarly in cold weather. Certainly better than alkalines.

Galane

Newly Enlightened
If your outdoor thermometer sender uses 1.6v non-rechargable lithium cells in AA size, try EBL's AA size Ni-Zn 3000 mWh 1.6V. They sell a set of 8 with an 8 bay charger for $29.99. But that plugs into USB and you'll need a 2 amp USB source. For that a good choice is the EBL model M5129 which for some reason they do not have on the EBL official website. It's on the EBL Store on Amazon for $8.95, works with all EBL's USB powered chargers plus phones, tablets etc.

WC8KCY

Newly Enlightened
For AAA cells, the eneloops are fine.

I've also had great success with Westinghouse-branded 1000 mAh NiMH AAA cells, which are low self-discharge and consistently test out at just under 1000 mAh despite being several years old now.

If your application doesn't require low self-discharge, PKCell makes a 1200 mAh AAA that I've tested out at "only" 1100 mAh. They've performed flawlessly in the inspection light I use at work.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
My 2AAA penlight from Powertac is my back-up light to whatever primary light I'm EDCing that day. I keep the Powertac loaded with two AAA Eneloops. Literally zero issues. Free lumens! They came with a charger.

In terms of AA or AAA sized lithiums.... Keeppower gets the job done.

Poppy

Flashaholic
My 2AAA penlight from Powertac is my back-up light to whatever primary light I'm EDCing that day. I keep the Powertac loaded with two AAA Eneloops. Literally zero issues. Free lumens! They came with a charger.

In terms of AA or AAA sized lithiums.... Keeppower gets the job done.
Why do you choose to use eneloops over the Keeppower 1.5v lithiums?

Galane

Newly Enlightened
Why do you choose to use eneloops over the Keeppower 1.5v lithiums?
1.5V lithiums get to their cutoff and quit. No slooooow fade where you still have some dim light like with Alkalines, NiCd or NiMH. The EBL ones *blink* on and off for a bit before they shut down.