Acebeam K40M (MT-G2 q0, 3x18650) Review

Blazer296

Newly Enlightened
Did you by chance measure the current for levels 1 + 2 ?
If not, would you mind checking and letting us know?

I am thinking of building a MTG2, and have been scratching my head on what low modes currents to go with.

Thanks,

Jim

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Jim,

I'm sorry that I didn't measure those currents.
I will try to measure with DMM tomorrow as I'm now away on a business trip.
H K, Kim

Did you by chance measure the current for levels 1 + 2 ?
If not, would you mind checking and letting us know?

I am thinking of building a MTG2, and have been scratching my head on what low modes currents to go with.

Thanks,

Jim

Blazer296

Newly Enlightened
No rush, but that would be great.

All the info I can find on any MTG2 stops (on the low end) at 500ma.
Trying to decide on a driver set-up has been confusing since I am guessing at what that led MIGHT do below that.

Side note, I just noticed the other day, Mountain Electronics is offering DrJones' guppydrv that have a crazy amount of possible mode groups.

Thanks again,
Jim

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've just measured L1, L2 and L3 as 0.001A, 0.030A and 0.259A respectively.

I couldn't measure "mA" current unit for L1 due to overload in my DMM. Hope this is helpful to you.

No rush, but that would be great.

All the info I can find on any MTG2 stops (on the low end) at 500ma.
Trying to decide on a driver set-up has been confusing since I am guessing at what that led MIGHT do below that.

Blazer296

Newly Enlightened
Thats great, and lower than I expected.

Thanks for taking the time. Very useful info for me right now.

Jim

chomper33

Newly Enlightened
Was looking around for my first nice flashlight and kept coming back to this. Decided to go ahead and order the K40M. I have never even seen any flashlight like this in person before so I am kind of excited to get it. My friend ordered the X40 model at the same time. It is a little more pricey and lists more lumens, but they appear to be pretty similar when looking at the pics. I guess we will get to compare them once they arrive.

markr6

Flashaholic
Is it a safety concern for the 18650s to be in series? I saw another thread mentioning a light being "safer" due to 4x18650 being parallel.

Unprotected OK as long as they're not ran too low?

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it a safety concern for the 18650s to be in series? I saw another thread mentioning a light being "safer" due to 4x18650 being parallel.

Parallel configuration is safer, no doubt about that. Cells "auto-balance", unlike in series where a good cell can start trying to "reverse charge" a bad cell, and cause a serious failure. As long as the carrier is properly designed, and you use well matched quality cells, neither configuration is likely to cause you any problems.

markr6

Flashaholic
Thanks. This light recently caught my eye. Like I've said a hundred times, another light I don't need...but want!!

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast

In case multi cells are discharged together in series, one or some of cells voltage will drop faster than the others. Many observed this unequal discharge in series, and I've observed the unequal discharge in this situation with the lights such as K50 V2, K40M, TN30, and so on in my runtime test. So protected cells are recommended to the multi-cell lights. But, if you run the light with unprotected cells carefully, it's OK.

ven

Flashaholic
Sure the latest lights in question now come with upgraded carriers,i sent a mail and had a new carrier within a week or so,pics

Vinhs on left(old),new acebeam(or supbeam depending on what part you look at:confused:) on right

Base is thicker on new

I always use IMR or INR regardless,always take out of light now,loses maybe 0.1v a week or so by leaving it in the light from drain........So if left for long durations 2-3+ weeks,out would come the cells in the past.

Unless i can lock them out,all cells now reside outside the flashlights unless mec lock out via switch or locked out via twist of tail cap etc. Not many lights require removal!!

Cheers ven

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure the latest lights in question now come with upgraded carriers,i sent a mail and had a new carrier within a week or so,pics

Vinhs on left(old),new acebeam(or supbeam depending on what part you look at:confused:) on right

Base is thicker on new

I always use IMR or INR regardless,always take out of light now,loses maybe 0.1v a week or so by leaving it in the light from drain........So if left for long durations 2-3+ weeks,out would come the cells in the past.

Unless i can lock them out,all cells now reside outside the flashlights unless mec lock out via switch or locked out via twist of tail cap etc. Not many lights require removal!!

Cheers ven

Thanks for sharing your information with nice photos. ven! :)

Vinh's negative springs have wires on the battery carrier and seems special. New carrier looks good as well.

The standby current drain (~73μA) is so small value you can ignore. But it's good idea to remove the cells from the carrier. ;)

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks mr candle lamp,agree,also i find best to charge external of light too ,regardless of built in charger..........well is nice for emergencies of course.:)

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks mr candle lamp,agree,also i find best to charge external of light too ,regardless of built in charger..........well is nice for emergencies of course.:)

Yes, I agree with you. The normal charger is safer and faster than the built-in charger in multi cells charge, in my view. :)