• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Acebeam W10vn G2 - 640Kcd Throw King R

busseguy

Enlightened
its way bigger. the beam profile on the W30 and MAxtoch l2k are the same. the w10 is actually not that pencil beamish. it spreads out a decent amount which is awesome considering the gen 2 has triple the lux. the maxtoch makes the W10 look like a flood light

I dont don't see how it's possible that it's got a bigger hotspot than the W30.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I dont don't see how it's possible that it's got a bigger hotspot than the W30.

It's not unlike the way that a larger head and reflector throws a tighter beam in a conventional flashlight. It's just that in this case, the larger head and aspheric lens in the W30 enables a tighter beam.

Wouldn't it be neat though, if the smaller the light was, the better the throw was, or the smaller the battery, the longer it lasted. :)

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Do not try to clean your LEP front lens. Just let it be. If you must clean it then wipe very lightly with a new high quality micro fiber towel. I was told the lens is made of plastic not glass. I don't want to touch it to find out. If you clean your lens and it turn out like this you will lose between 25-50 percent intensity. Yes very extreme! You have been warned!

jsg1q9z.jpg

SKV89

Enlightened
OMG Acebeam that is horrible way to cut cost! I was going to EDC this in my pocket! Now I'm afraid it will scratch up the lens. Is there anywhere to buy a replacement lens?

scintillator

Enlightened
This is from specs on acebeam website"Ultra-clear mineral glass lens somes with anti-reflective coating".
It must be the AR coating that is getting scratched up.

That is terribly unfortunate... at $300?! Maybe if it were $50 I could be forgiving of such a serious overlooking but... all that time in development to release a fragile egg. High quality protein but don't drop it!

Edit: Did the first gen W10 or any W30 have the same flaw?

Last edited:

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had an issue with my w30 where there was imperfections in the lens. It's a plastic lens in the W30 AR coated on both sides. Before I realized they were just imperfections in the plastic molding i tried to clean it with a cloth. I immediately put micro scratchs in the AR coating. But the AR coating was still all intact. No light loss. That's where I should of stopped and left it alone but that's not what I do. I don't give up till I completely ruin something. So I scrubbed it with dawn. It made it worse but the AR coating was still intact and not as damaged as the image above of the w10. At this point I knew I ruined it and wanted to knew what it would take to actually remove the AR coating. I had to use an abrasive sponge and dawn with as much scrubbing force as I can muster. After 2 minutes of that my w30 lens looked like the w10 photo above where part of the AR coating is completely removed. It then took another 30 minutes to fully remove the AR coating. So the AR coating is crazy strong and there's no way that AR coating damage is going to happen in your pocket. The W30 taught me a big lesson. Just leave the lens alone and you will be fine. I would not use anything more then compressed air to clean it.

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Yes AR coating is usually strong. This person said he got these scratches by carrying the light in his pocket. I am guessing with keys? But I will ask and confirm. Let me test to my personal sample to see of I can identify is this front lens is glass or plastic. And yes it's open to the element. I would have the strike bezel install to protect it. If it's too Invasive perhaps grind down the spikes.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's keys then I can understand why. Keys will leave scratches on glass and anodized aluminum alike.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I tap on the lens and it sure look and feel like glass but I am not 100% sure.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I'm not going to jump the gun on this one, not that I think anyone else is, it's just that I don't think we have a complete picture. It absolutely looks like optical glass to me, so I don't think that's the issue. Instead, it's specifically the coatings. Typically, vapor deposition coatings are durable against all common, proper, optical cleaning methods but it doesn't look like a failed cleaning method in this case. Even the best AR coatings in the world will not hold up to sharp metal edges or abrasive media, which to me, looks like what happened. I've seen this to varying degree on mistreated/abused binocular and scope optics and it's usually due to a foreign object rubbing against the glass. For something that's pocketable like the W10, just one time with keys, coins, or even a foil wrapper in the pocket is all it takes. I suppose it's possible the the AR coatings were soft or defective, but some additional rubbing with some lens tissue and optical cleaning solution will tell the story. If no more coating comes off, it probably isn't defective.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
The guy told me he had the light with his other metal tools. Well camera lens would. It last so I think its fair to say that it's nothing to panic. Just careful if u ever try to clean the lens. Windex n new microfiber towel should be fine.