Actual Lumen Readings in 10.5in Sphere.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Re: Actual Lumen Readings by bigchelis in 10.5in Sphere.

At first I was doing the actual 1 meter readings...Then folks explained why that don't work at all for higher lux lights and things get all mixed up.

So, I just do 5 meter readings with the meter exactly 5 meters and take up to 3 minutes untill I get the highest possible lux readings. My meter is set to capture the peak and hold that value on the screen untill a higher lux is captured. I then get that number and multiply by 25 for 1 meter calculated.

I did get 8250 calculated 1 meter lux for the smaller bezel variant: the P20A2 XP-G R5.

So shouldn't you delete the lux values in question?

I hope you get the chance to add lux values for all the lights you work with in the future. Many times I care more about lux than lumens. Like I already have a P20C2 and I like it so much I was thinking about buying a T20C2 but only if the throw is better than any of my other XP-G R5's. If the value reported on light-reviews is accurate it's Ok but not spectacular. If it actually produced 15000 lux I would have ordered one before typing this reply!

I really appreciate all the work you do to produce this thread. It allows all of us to make informed decisions on our purchases!

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Actual Lumen Readings by bigchelis in 10.5in Sphere.

So shouldn't you delete the lux values in question?

I hope you get the chance to add lux values for all the lights you work with in the future. Many times I care more about lux than lumens. Like I already have a P20C2 and I like it so much I was thinking about buying a T20C2 but only if the throw is better than any of my other XP-G R5's. If the value reported on light-reviews is accurate it's Ok but not spectacular. If it actually produced 15000 lux I would have ordered one before typing this reply!

I really appreciate all the work you do to produce this thread. It allows all of us to make informed decisions on our purchases!

I was going to do actual 1 meter lux readings, but if you check out the reviews on the DEFT in regards to lux you will see that they are more exact/realistic if you do calculated readings.

I still do actual 5 meter lux readings to lights worth it. Just the 1 meter lux is calculated.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The five meter readings are good legit readings of all of these lights. With a big enough sample base you can get some good idea of how well they really perform. Big C should keep doing them all at this value. It really is more meaningful and accurate.

Keep up the good work Big C.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still there must be an error in EagleTac XP-G R5 lux measurements (IMHO). I can easily understand that typo or other error could happen in such a vast number of measurements.

1) numbers from other people are much different
2) those values are just unrealistic for XP-G and relatively small textured reflector

My numbers (measured from 4 meters and converted)
P20A2 R5 OP ~ 3100 lux
T20C2 R5 OP ~ 8000 lux

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I might send you my Aleph III head/pineapple combo with a Flupic and a XP-G r4 to test if you're not to busy. PM me.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I might send you my Aleph III head/pineapple combo with a Flupic and a XP-G r4 to test if you're not to busy. PM me.

PM Sent...

Aleph III heads are the Turbo heads right? More throw and just for kicks how hard is that XP-G R4 being driven?

I like Aleph bodies too, they are slim and great EDC hosts for my E-bezels.

bigC

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still there must be an error in EagleTac XP-G R5 lux measurements (IMHO). I can easily understand that typo or other error could happen in such a vast number of measurements.

1) numbers from other people are much different
2) those values are just unrealistic for XP-G and relatively small textured reflector

My numbers (measured from 4 meters and converted)
P20A2 R5 OP ~ 3100 lux
T20C2 R5 OP ~ 8000 lux

My lux readings were done at 5 meters, not 4.

Also, my meter can capture peak lux and hold that value. If you use a meter that can't hold the peak lux, it would be alot less lux.

MrGman can cetainly explain this better, but without the peak/hold lux feature you will not get the highest possibe lux reading. I also take about 2 or 3 mintues and just move the light around untill I get the highest possible lux value with each light.

The two eagletacs have a huge difference in reflector size too.
P3010007.jpg

bigC

recDNA

Flashaholic
It shouldn't matter how far away you were. He divides by 16. You divide by 25. You should both get the same answers.

Earlier you said when you measured T20C2 lux you did it the wrong way - from ONE meter. It was before you learned about doing it from 5 meters. That would explain why your lux reading was way off for that particular model. Not for ALL of the models you've measured lux in.

Light-reviews.com posted virtually the same lux readings the other poster mentioned.

recDNA

Flashaholic
The five meter readings are good legit readings of all of these lights. With a big enough sample base you can get some good idea of how well they really perform. Big C should keep doing them all at this value. It really is more meaningful and accurate.

Keep up the good work Big C.

I don't believe Bigchelis measured the T20C2 from 5 meters (if I understood his post correctly). He measured it from one meter. I think it may have been before Bigchelis modified his system for measuring lux. The r2 version is around 15,000 lux. How could the R5 version be as high with a larger led and the same size reflector?

Last edited:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
PM Sent...

Aleph III heads are the Turbo heads right? More throw and just for kicks how hard is that XP-G R4 being driven?

I like Aleph bodies too, they are slim and great EDC hosts for my E-bezels.

bigC

Yes, I guess you could say the Aleph III is a turbo head, 38mm reflector. It is being driven by a flupic and burst is 1.2 amps.

Here's a picture of my pineapple Aleph III.
picture011hp9.jpg

joshconsulting

Enlightened
Just got my new MiNi 123, and it seems to have an even lower vF then my previous one. Current draw measured 1.33A peak with a fresh AW RCR123.

What's even more impressive is that a partially drained 2.95v RCR123 still had 1.22A - that's very impressive at a lower voltage, especially given battery sage under load at near 2C draws.

All this just makes it seem near-impossible that the AA (with the exact same battery capacity and sag, with supposedly the same LED\binning\etc.) could somehow pump out over 50% more light. Current-wise, it would be well north of 2A, quite a bit outside the max draw of 1.5A on LiPo 14500s. So either the 123 had something go wrong or had a very high vF, or the AA is unsafe to use with 14500s.

Any updates on other quarks that could be tested, or current draw for already-tested ones? I know I've posted this before (I have a hard time parting :thinking:) but I would be willing to send mine in for testing if no one around you has one.

joshconsulting

Enlightened
Selfbuilt finally got around to reviewing the MiNis (http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=3355926).

He got the exact same lightbox readings (12.5) for the MiNi 123 on RCR and AA on 14500. I know a lightbox is nowhere near as accurate as your sphere, but the lights have a basically identical beam pattern. I think you need another 123 sample, I'm still positive it should be matching up with the AA for output.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Selfbuilt finally got around to reviewing the MiNis (http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=3355926).

He got the exact same lightbox readings (12.5) for the MiNi 123 on RCR and AA on 14500. I know a lightbox is nowhere near as accurate as your sphere, but the lights have a basically identical beam pattern. I think you need another 123 sample, I'm still positive it should be matching up with the AA for output.
I finally figured out how to measure amps at the tail and I measured 1.33 amps in my mini with imr123

recDNA

Flashaholic
Yes, I guess you could say the Aleph III is a turbo head, 38mm reflector. It is being driven by a flupic and burst is 1.2 amps.

Here's a picture of my pineapple Aleph III.
picture011hp9.jpg
That us one NICE LOOKING flashlight. WOW

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
That us one NICE LOOKING flashlight. WOW

Thanks! One of these days I am going to send it off for some special anno treatment.

The combination of parts make a really nice light. The XP-G in the Aleph 3 head is excellent! It might not have a super tight spot, but it is a great combination of spot and spill, and the turbo at 1.2 amps from the flupic push out some decent lumens.

Noctis

Enlightened
You never tested the Moddoo Triple XP-G yet right?
All these things about P60 size Triple/Quad lights putting out 1200+ lumens gets me all excited, but I'm a little curious to know how much of that makes it OTF and how long it stays there.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
You never tested the Moddoo Triple XP-G yet right?
All these things about P60 size Triple/Quad lights putting out 1200+ lumens gets me all excited, but I'm a little curious to know how much of that makes it OTF and how long it stays there.

Moddoo mentioned he would send me a sample when he had a chance. We will have to wait and see.

I did test a Tripple XP-G 1C Mag by Ma_sha1. It does 500ish OTF due to heat off an IMR 26500. It actually performed better with a DX C cell due to more cell sag. The XP-G R5's in this build were also direct drive.

Jose

member 6142

Newly Enlightened
@bigchelis
Did you receive my shipment?

Latest posts