Actual Lumen Readings in 10.5in Sphere.

hkcvietnam

Newly Enlightened
I believe this is the brightest LED light on Mag C. It doesn't throw as far as the SSR-50, but it looked to me about 1.5-2x the OTF lumens over the SSR-50/5Amp light, so I think it's going to be >1500 OTF at least
I think so

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Actual Lumen Readings by bigchelis in 10.5in Sphere.

I am not having any luck searching for lumen readings for the 2014 Fenix E05 aluminum, the Olight i3s, and the Thrunite Ti3 Titanium
can you link me to actual lumen tests for those 3 lights please? Im looking to see the readings with standard Duracel aaa alkaline batteries
thanks!

RickZ

Newly Enlightened

Josh did you send your Deree VBS sst-50 in for testing? I might be interested in it depending on the #'s :)

Is it a different tool that tests lumens and lux?

Technically it depends on how you measure it. Sphere readings like this won't test for lux, but lumens can be measured the same way lux is, if you basically average the intensity and size. Technically it is more accurate to do sphere but 2dimensional readings for lumens are possible. To save time, I believe ansi uses that measurement, not a sphere.

I know the haters gonna start, but lumens and lux are essentially the same thing without being related at all.
Because it is the same thing, you can take it and measure it using the same tool. Different ways of measuring lumens greatly distorts the numbers, which are further distorted by atmosphere. Some lights are theoretically measured based on LED since measuring takes too much time.

SemiMan

Banned

To save time, I believe ansi uses that measurement, not a sphere. .

Ansi uses lux, because that is what the measurement is .... at what distance can you achieve a certain lux value. Sphere testing of a flashlight is great for specs, but not terribly useful on its own for a flashlight.

I know the haters gonna start, but lumens and lux are essentially the same thing without being related at all.
Because it is the same thing, you can take it and measure it using the same tool. Different ways of measuring lumens greatly distorts the numbers, which are further distorted by atmosphere. Some lights are theoretically measured based on LED since measuring takes too much time.

- Are haters knowledgeable people?
- You can't use the same tool. One requires a meter to measure the amount of light in a defined area. One require the amount of light in a defined area AND a precision method to take multiple measurements over a large spherical surface. It's like saying you can measure speed with a stop-watch ... or with a tape measure. Of course you need both to measure speed.
- Different ways of measuring lumens DOES NOT distort the numbers. There are right ways, and wrong ways, and numbers are not distorted, they are right or wrong ... and not impacted by the atmosphere unless foggy or polluted
- Lux and Lumens are about the same as mass and density ... i.e. not at all really.

Semiman

Last edited:

Lumencrazy

Enlightened

Technically it depends on how you measure it. Sphere readings like this won't test for lux, but lumens can be measured the same way lux is, if you basically average the intensity and size. Technically it is more accurate to do sphere but 2dimensional readings for lumens are possible. To save time, I believe ansi uses that measurement, not a sphere.

??????? Whoa!!! Is this a new science? Better contact Cree, Osram, Phillips and etc., and let them know they are all doing it wrong.

Last edited:

RickZ

Newly Enlightened
It's like talking to college kids. You guys completely agree with the truth in my comment, but don't know how to read it in a way you understand. Sorry we are having a hard time communicating. If I make some videos, I'll show you what I mean.

RickZ

Newly Enlightened

Ansi uses lux, because that is what the measurement is .... at what distance can you achieve a certain lux value. Sphere testing of a flashlight is great for specs, but not terribly useful on its own for a flashlight.

- Are haters knowledgeable people?
- You can't use the same tool. One requires a meter to measure the amount of light in a defined area. One require the amount of light in a defined area AND a precision method to take multiple measurements over a large spherical surface. It's like saying you can measure speed with a stop-watch ... or with a tape measure. Of course you need both to measure speed.
- Different ways of measuring lumens DOES NOT distort the numbers. There are right ways, and wrong ways, and numbers are not distorted, they are right or wrong ... and not impacted by the atmosphere unless foggy or polluted
- Lux and Lumens are about the same as mass and density ... i.e. not at all really.

Semiman

First quote, then wtf are ansi 'lumens', and for the rest, try reading my comment slowly, and don't skip over major parts of the sentences that you completely over-elaborated on and went on and on to take a couple hours explaining what took me 5 seconds.

Further the "new science" is called common sense, you take light-all-over-the-place, and turn it into an average, and bam, one unit to another. It's like taking mass, and roughly estimating density based on knowledge the object is spherical and how much pressure is on the ground the object is sitting on.

And yes, my point well proven, haters weren't smart this time.

Please stop being so ridiculously negative in your reaction to my comments. It's become an extreme nuisance.

SemiMan

Banned

Further the "new science" is called common sense, you take light-all-over-the-place, and turn it into an average, and bam, one unit to another. It's like taking mass, and roughly estimating density based on knowledge the object is spherical and how much pressure is on the ground the object is sitting on.

Please stop being so ridiculously negative in your reaction to my comments. It's become an extreme nuisance.

- As you have stated, lux and lumens ARE NOT the same thing just like mass and density are not. One is a base unit, one is not and you cannot convert from one to the other without a ton of other knowledge.

For your knowledge, which appears to be lacking, the ANSI FL1 standard, which is for flashlights uses BOTH lumens in an integrating sphere and beam distance which is based on at what distance is the lux at a given standard. There is not magic and knowing one provides you with no knowledge for the other.

Semiman