Actual Lumen Readings in 10.5in Sphere.

recDNA

Flashaholic
As most people know in terms of OTF lumens due to cell sag the NiMH chemistry is still KING. My SST-90 2D Mag and 3D Mag builds all perform much better when powered by NiMH cells vs. IMR 26650/IMR 26500.

The 2/3A NiMH cells are rated for 30A and are about the size of a single CR123 Primary, but a tad shorter. I can probably fit 3 of them in a 18650 tube for testing or will make it happen without the tailcap.

In my tests these little cells always produce more tailcap current then the IMR 18650 or even IMR 26500. They are so small and the voltage input is the same, yet they are awesome. I use them to break in SST type of emitters too. 4 of them can be used to overdrive SST-90 emitters to "burn it in" These are the cells I let another CPF member borow to burn in his 4Sevens S12 and from his thread he went from 3.5A to 7A after "burn in"

bigC

I've heard of 2/3 C before but not 2/3A. So these things would fit in a Solarforce L2p body tube right? And they are about 3 volts each? How do you charge them?

AlphaZen

Enlightened
I will update the 1st page with a bunch of lights that I still havent put up there. They are mainly the quarks and other low lumen lights.

bigC,
Do you still have this data available? I have been trying to find the #'s on the Quark Mini AA with the 14500 and can't find it anywhere. I know you had it on there at one point. Thanks,
-zen

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
bigC,
Do you still have this data available? I have been trying to find the #'s on the Quark Mini AA with the 14500 and can't find it anywhere. I know you had it on there at one point. Thanks,
-zen

I might still have it. I think it was 300 OTF or a bit more since it goes Direct Drive....

The Malkoff M61W I have not tested, but Gene has a Sphere and he most likely reports the warm 1 or 2 minute reading so, his numbers are honest real OTF readings. The only times it varies is when some emitters have unusual low vF, but other than that what you see is what you get with him.

bigC

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

Just a quick test with no cells topped off I am getting over 1050 OTF lumens at 8seconds. Tailcap current off IMR 18650 that was not topped off was 4A.

Still; I can't do a full 3 minute test till I get a ZeroTolerance Tailcap. PCC informed me of how difficult it was last time to remove a melted one.

e90b571a.jpg

b2d851d3.jpg

58b8a6cc.jpg

41d51ad9.jpg

16f24e52.jpg

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are the problems I foresee in hitting 1500 OTF lumens.

• Needs a UCL lens = as much as 10% more OTF lumens
  • Needs Aluminum body. Currently; it has a Titanium
  • Needs a ZeroTolerance Tailcap = McClickies have melted on me at 4.5A or so.
bigC

warmurf

Enlightened
Incredible!! Love these SST-90s. You got my attention on mentioning a new light coming that is 5000+ lumens- please share with us alll more on that when it comes along!!

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Actual Lumen Readings by bigchelis in 10.5in Sphere.

Hi bigC,

Do you happen to have a LUX reading on a Quark AA2 with the R5? Also when you measure lux is there any special setup required or do you just fire the beam into to the censor @ 1M in a dark room? I am trying to calibrate my meter and quark AA2 is the only production light I have :)

EDIT: I would also like to know if in the case of a focusable light am I suppose to focus the die projection @ 1M rather than where it would actually be if I was shooting as far as possible?

Last edited:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure most people do the lux @5 meters and calculate what the 1meter would be from that since ALOT of lights need the space for the beam to focus.

I don't know the formula off hand but I'm sure it's around here somewhere.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys- just a warning on over applying AS-5 to p60 modules.

I guess some creeped into the threads of my Linger module that Big C tested and caused it to dim n flicker. I sent it back to NB thinking the driver was bad.

I had it slathered pretty good - guess its a bad idea to go crazy with it.

Last edited:

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
AS5 is both non conductive and slightly capacitive. It's also only useful between very tight, almost microscopic gaps. If you need to fill a gap thicker than a sheet of paper you need to use a metal tape or foil of some kind + the thermal grease.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^ word.

If you look on some of the earlier pages in this thread Big C
used quite a lot on some of the modules he was testing and
did get improved results. I did the same but it eventually migrated
to the threads on the pill and caused my drop-in to flicker and
dim. just a smidge on the outside of the copper tape is probably
best.

handlerchelsea

Newly Enlightened

happy.gif

They looked like rectangular shape to me, not square
Just kidding.

Corvette6769,
The original version of PLI was also in the $57 range, but later on I lowered the price of PLI due to the camo color. Back then MC-E costs less than SST-50, the body of PLI also costs less than P-rocket. If it costs me more on this new product why should I sell it for less profit? I'm not in the business for charity, and I'm certainly not wealthy enough to do that. Just try to have my ends meet each day.

Some people like 5700k color, others like 6500k,3000k and 4500k. Not possible for me to make P-Rocket in all different color range and have everyone pleased. Like you said, you can find lights on DX cheaper and brighter, which is great. But Shiningbeam.com is not DX, we are an American company and we can't survive on 10% profit like the retailers do in China. If you are not happy with our products' quality and price, just simply don't buy them.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi BigC,

Are you still doing this type of testing?

Have you tested any XML U2 maglites? If so what is roughly the output @ 3A?

Thanks

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire LX2________________Stock__________2 Surefire CR123__________249.2______1 sec_____376______9,400_______
__________________________________________________ _____________ 245.4______30 sec________________________
__________________________________________________ ______________ 243.1______1 min_________________________
__________________________________________________ ______________ 239.2______2 min_________________________
__________________________________________________ ______________ 237.7______3 min_________________________

As someone who recently purchased a used Surefire LX2, this makes me very happy. Looks like approx 240 lumens of output (initially) from a light rated for 200 lumens.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
As someone who recently purchased a used Surefire LX2, this makes me very happy. Looks like approx 240 lumens of output (initially) from a light rated for 200 lumens.

The most impressive thing is that Surefire LX2 you can put a L1 XR-E bezel on it. Run a factory IMR 16650 cell and you will get close to 13.5K lux or so and about 300 real out the front lumens. That was my favorate Lego. Not very efficient since its direct drive and 1.6~1.8A but soo much lux from small bezel is cool.

best,
bigC