Actual Lumen Readings in 10.5in Sphere.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I measured the Amp with the Vara2000 turned to Max. I.E. PWM @ 100% open.

That's same as Direct Drive, no regulation.
Little late chiming in here...

Max is not 100% duty cycle on the four cell Vara2000. I don't think Lambda's ever divulged his settings, and they vary from light to light. He has mentioned that his circuit is capable of a 99.x% duty cycle, but only some of the three cell lights will see that. With all of the reductions in resistance, he's found some low Vf SST-50's that can't even handle ~100% duty cycle on three NiMH C cells in the Vara1000. :huh:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I borrowed this light for testing. I will test the lux next, but for now here you go::::::::

Malkoff Hound Dog________XP-G @1.5A______4 CR123 Primaries___________________________ 362.3______1 sec_______________________
_______________________________________________________________ 321.5______30 sec_______________________
____________521mA at the tail_____________________________________ 319.2______1 min________________________
_________________________________________________________________317.7______2 min________________________
_________________________________________________________________315.4______3 min________________________

EDIT:

Malkoff Hound Dog________XP-G @1.5A_________2 IMR 18650____________ 362.3______1 sec____800_______20,000____
_______________________________________________________________ 321.5______30 sec_______________________

____________680mA at the tail_____________________________________ 319.2______1 min________________________
__________________________________________________ _______________316.9______2 min________________________
__________________________________________________ _______________314.6______3 min________________________

Last edited:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
that's a big woof woof aarghhhhhooooooooooooooooooo! to Gene Malkoff and the Hound Dog. :twothumbs

Great Work Big C. I assume the 20,000 is the calculated 1 Meter lux from the 800 lux at 5 meters?

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
The copper was ordered late last week and should be shipping tomorrow. I'm hoping to have a working C110 copper heatsink by this coming weekend, depending on when it arrives.
The copper came in yesterday while I was at work. I cut off a 2.3" chunk of it and have started to work on it this morning. Facing operations on both ends are done and now the laborious chore of turning it down to fit snugly inside of the Mag tube. I then need to mill out a pocket for the positive terminal and the groove for the wiring as well as drilling and tapping eight holes in this thing. Problem is, I need to leave for work in a few minutes and tomorrow Mrs PCC took the day off (it's my normal day off tomorrow) so that we can take the kids out for some back to school shopping so I will not have another opportunity to work on this again until Saturday afternoon. I'm hoping to get it finished by this coming Sunday morning to give to BC for an aluminum vs copper heatsink shootout. Stay tuned...

recDNA

Flashaholic
I borrowed this light for testing. I will test the lux next, but for now here you go::::::::

Malkoff Hound Dog________XP-G @1.5A______4 CR123 Primaries___________________________ 362.3______1 sec_______________________
____________521mA at the tail_____________________________________ 319.2______1 min________________________
_________________________________________________________________317.7______2 min________________________
_________________________________________________________________315.4______3 min________________________

EDIT:

Malkoff Hound Dog________XP-G @1.5A_________2 IMR 18650____________ 362.3______1 sec____800_______20,000____
____________680mA at the tail_____________________________________ 319.2______1 min________________________
__________________________________________________ _______________316.9______2 min________________________
__________________________________________________ _______________314.6______3 min________________________

So pretty comparable to G5? I was hoping for more throw. Oh well...

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
So pretty comparable to G5? I was hoping for more throw. Oh well...

You have to look beyond lux to appreciate throw. I have a three inch reflector and run an early Seoul P4 that puts out 42,000 lux pencil beam. Which light do you think would give me more light/information out there, the Seoul P4 in the 3 incher, or the HoundDog with its 20,000 lux and its huge center spot?

Bill

recDNA

Flashaholic
I already have lights in the 20,000 lux range. I had hoped for more. The one with 40,000 lux throws further. The HD is obviously more practical but I've got that covered.

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3D Mag is done, for now, with both an aluminum and a copper heatsink. Awaiting test results from BC, which should take a day or two. When we tested this light earlier it made around 1600 lumens but that dropped rather quickly, probably because the batteries needed to be charged. When I left BC's place the batteries were in the charger.

PCC made this build possible which I think was phenominal in its modularity.

The VARA2000 Copper used a .90in long copper slug as heatsink and same bin and tint SSR-90, but this PCC built Copper SSR-90 Mag uses a 2.5in or so long copper slug. We drove the SSR-90 at (50watts no load) for 6 minutes with 3 minutes on/off period. PCC also used it quite a bit at 20 watts or so to break in the emitter.

The SSR-90 I was told needed a break-in period to trully come to life. We did just that. Put alot of miles on it with lower current. Then I put 2 hot/cold cyles of 6 minutes total at a whopping 50watts(no load). After this I was ready to test for OTF lumens.

Here you go:

Hi all,

I used a 2D Mag Rebel hosts instead of the black 3D. This was due to keep the total power under 30 WATTS.

• 2D Mag Rebel hosts
  • Stock rebel reflector cut to fit
  • Copper heatsink
  • 3 Tenergy NiMH C cells topped off at 1.43V each.
  • 6.6A at the tail
  • small magnet as tailcap/spring = less resistance (i think)
  • AS5 as thermal paste
Here are the Copper readings given the test conditions outlined above:

1 SEC = 2247.7
30 SEC = 2217.9
1 MIN = 2133.0
2 MIN = 2025.2
3 MIN = 2013.8
4 MIN = 1970.2

Next comes the OTF numbers, but with the aluminum heatsink. Hopefully in the next couple weeks the brass heatsink OTF numbers too.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
What would happen if you ran it for 15 minutes straight? Would the led :poof:?

Oh, and while you have the set-up....could you measure lux too?

PCC made this build possible which I think was phenominal in its modularity.

The VARA2000 Copper used a .90in long copper slug as heatsink and same bin and tint SSR-90, but this PCC built Copper SSR-90 Mag uses a 2.5in or so long copper slug. We drove the SSR-90 at (50watts no load) for 6 minutes with 3 minutes on/off period. PCC also used it quite a bit at 20 watts or so to break in the emitter.

The SSR-90 I was told needed a break-in period to trully come to life. We did just that. Put alot of miles on it with lower current. Then I put 2 hot/cold cyles of 6 minutes total at a whopping 50watts(no load). After this I was ready to test for OTF lumens.

Here you go:

Hi all,

I used a 2D Mag Rebel hosts instead of the black 3D. This was due to keep the total power under 30 WATTS.

• 2D Mag Rebel hosts
  • Stock rebel reflector cut to fit
  • Copper heatsink
  • 3 Tenergy NiMH C cells topped off at 1.43V each.
  • 6.6A at the tail
  • small magnet as tailcap/spring = less resistance (i think)
  • AS5 as thermal paste
Here are the Copper readings given the test conditions outlined above:

1 SEC = 2247.7
30 SEC = 2217.9
1 MIN = 2133.0
2 MIN = 2025.2
3 MIN = 2013.8
4 MIN = 1970.2

Next comes the OTF numbers, but with the aluminum heatsink. Hopefully in the next couple weeks the brass heatsink OTF numbers too.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
What would happen if you ran it for 15 minutes straight? Would the led :poof:?

Oh, and while you have the set-up....could you measure lux too?

With 3 NiMH C cells I feel confortable running it for 15~20 minutes because the overall wattage under no load is well under 30 watts and with load I am sure alot less.

The OTF numbers were amazing, but the light doesn't get hot. I was surprised it stayed kinda warm to the touch. With 4 NiMH Cells I didn't want to hold it after 1 minute cause it was smoking hot.

I will take lux numbers tonight with the copper slug, then switch to the aluminum heatsink and see what happens.

bigC

recDNA

Flashaholic
With 3 NiMH C cells I feel confortable running it for 15~20 minutes because the overall wattage under no load is well under 30 watts and with load I am sure alot less.

The OTF numbers were amazing, but the light doesn't get hot. I was surprised it stayed kinda warm to the touch. With 4 NiMH Cells I didn't want to hold it after 1 minute cause it was smoking hot.

I will take lux numbers tonight with the copper slug, then switch to the aluminum heatsink and see what happens.

bigC

Thanks.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope someone sends in a zebralight sc60.

Im waiting on the HL version which should have the same output.

Id guess 250ish after 30sec?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried it outdoors, yet? That light is impressive outdoors and it just lights up the street almost like a car headlight does.

When I had the Deft FTP on loan it lid up a nice spot at 200 yards (Google maps). Now; down the street at the same spot I light up the block :thumbsup:

It is a good hiking light now...we need another Hike meet in San Jose:twothumbs