• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Adjustable 10A linear LED driver - New and Improved!

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Adjustable 10A linear constant current driver

My $100+shipping is in for 2 of each. Can you explain what happens if using 2S LiIons?

Thanks
Hector

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast

How will this driver behave if the Vin is below the Vf of the LED? Will it go into direct drive mode?

I guess I and others are probably a little disappointed that there is no switch mode driver available yet for the SST-90s. I for one want to use a 2S Li Ion pack or even 3S.

But I have a cunning plan. Use a LDO10C voltage regulator and set the output at 0.5v (+-) above the Vf of the LED and run that into this DIW's linear regulator. This will give a constant current regulator that you can run off any voltage up to 13.8v and yet still be fairly efficient.
Use some thermal feed back as well just for protection. Unsure if its best to use the thermal feed back on the CC driver or CV driver though.
Thoughts?

The driver will go into DD mode as the voltage falls. At some point the voltage will be unable to keep the FET turned on, but by then your batteries are pretty well done. There is always some minimum resistance in the driver, which is around 0.01 ohms for the FET plus 0.02 (10A versions) to 0.04 ohms (5A versions) for the sense resistor.

You're right, that's a cunning plan. I think it should work very well.

If you pull the C terminal down toward B-, it will reduce the output. Maybe a 50K NTC thermistor there would do the trick. Maybe some cunning member could pick a good value?;) As the resistance falls below about 15-20K, the output would start to fall.

D

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast

My $100+shipping is in for 2 of each. Can you explain what happens if using 2S LiIons?

Thanks
Hector

There were six models listed. I'm assuming you want two each of -1025 and -0512?

Using 2S LiIon would not inherently be a problem. The absolute max input voltage is 12V, and the max power dissipation is high enough. It's just that if you're only driving one LED, the efficiency would SUCK.

Eff = Vled/Vbat, so assuming 3.8V for the LED and 7.6V for the batts, you'd get an efficiency of 50%. The driver would happily do this for you if you can keep it cool, but it's going to generate even MORE heat than the LED (same amount of power, but the LED gets rid of some as light). The driver would be a little more forgiving of high temperature, but not a lot. So it's going to need as much heatsink as the LED.

With Packhorse's suggestion though, you could use that 2S LiIon pack, and probably keep the efficiency around 80%:thumbsup:

D

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just noticed that my previous edit of the Model chart didn't get posted. The last row should show a model IS1006-0512, 5A and 1.2A, not a -0517 with 5A and 1.7A.

Refunds will be made to anyone who already paid and would like a refund because of this.

D

Databyter

Enlightened

I can't wait to see the lights made with these.

I've never done an LED MOD, just a few drop-in upgrades and some Incandescent mods (and laser stuff).

With the new emitters and kick-*** drivers like this, I'm seriously interested in learning and building again.

It's a good time to be in CPF, you can really make some unique creations.

I'm really interested in seeing what you LED modders can do with this driver, and may follow suit.

I can think of some fantastic builds that already exist that could be improved considerably by upgrading to this driver.:popcorn:

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast

There were six models listed. I'm assuming you want two each of -1025 and -0512?

Using 2S LiIon would not inherently be a problem. The absolute max input voltage is 12V, and the max power dissipation is high enough. It's just that if you're only driving one LED, the efficiency would SUCK.

Eff = Vled/Vbat, so assuming 3.8V for the LED and 7.6V for the batts, you'd get an efficiency of 50%. The driver would happily do this for you if you can keep it cool, but it's going to generate even MORE heat than the LED (same amount of power, but the LED gets rid of some as light). The driver would be a little more forgiving of high temperature, but not a lot. So it's going to need as much heatsink as the LED.

With Packhorse's suggestion though, you could use that 2S LiIon pack, and probably keep the efficiency around 80%:thumbsup:

D

Lets do the 820 and the 517... I really see no reason to push 10amps through a 90.
Thanks

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast

How will this driver behave if the Vin is below the Vf of the LED? Will it go into direct drive mode?

I guess I and others are probably a little disappointed that there is no switch mode driver available yet for the SST-90s. I for one want to use a 2S Li Ion pack or even 3S.

But I have a cunning plan. Use a LDO10C voltage regulator and set the output at 0.5v (+-) above the Vf of the LED and run that into this DIW's linear regulator. This will give a constant current regulator that you can run off any voltage up to 13.8v and yet still be fairly efficient.
Use some thermal feed back as well just for protection. Unsure if its best to use the thermal feed back on the CC driver or CV driver though.
Thoughts?

Pack:
Are you referring to something like this?
http://www.eidusa.com/Electronics_Voltage_Regulator.htm
DIW, why not build it into your circuit, charge a bit more and save us some trouble for those who want LiIon? I'd be willing to pay a bit more.
Thanks
Hector

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast

Pack:
Are you referring to something like this?
http://www.eidusa.com/Electronics_Voltage_Regulator.htm
DIW, why not build it into your circuit, charge a bit more and save us some trouble for those who want LiIon? I'd be willing to pay a bit more.
Thanks
Hector

I didn't include that because it's a LOT more complicated, and others are already working on it. I didn't see any need to compete with them. This was something easy that could hit the marketplace quick, without doing much damage to their sales.

This design literally took hours. With board layout, parts ordering, prototypes, datasheet, posts, etc, I might have 30-50 hours in the whole project. A well-done switchmode driver could be five or ten times that.

D

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast

I didn't include that because it's a LOT more complicated, and others are already working on it. I didn't see any need to compete with them. This was something easy that could hit the marketplace quick, without doing much damage to their sales.

This design literally took hours. With board layout, parts ordering, prototypes, datasheet, posts, etc, I might have 30-50 hours in the whole project. A well-done switchmode driver could be five or ten times that.

D

OK< just wondering!
Thanks

Delphinus

Newly Enlightened

If possible change my order to 2 x IS1006-0820 8 2

Tanks,

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast

I need a little help, where to install the pot? In series with H-C, and omit any connection to L-C? Or do I need to vary the value of R5 with pot?

BasicWiringDiagram.jpg

SchematicIS1006-1025.jpg

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast

I need a little help, where to install the pot? In series with H-C, and omit any connection to L-C? Or do I need to vary the value of R5 with pot?

BasicWiringDiagram.jpg

SchematicIS1006-1025.jpg

Yes, you will connect the POT between C and H. This will add to the value of R5, which is what you want!

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is this correct????
EDIT: Diagram removed, it had wrong info I didn't want anyone to confuse for actual.

Sorry, I'll be patient and wait till you have more time. I was rewiring my light for the driver.

Last edited:

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is this correct????
BWD.jpg

Almost. The bottom end of the POT, which you show grounded, should not connect to anything. It ends up being a variable resistor between C and H.

Sorry I haven't been able to draw pics, but that seems to take me forever, as I am just learning to do it, and I've been busy answering questions and getting product ready to ship (as well as my real job:sigh:). Next week it should lighten up, after I ship on Monday. I expect all orders received as of now will ship by then. The first batch has been shipping this week.

D

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mine came in the mail today. I'll post more when I get it installed.

Codiak

Enlightened

. This was something easy that could hit the marketplace quick, without doing much damage to their sales.

D

This was a smart move on your part. Something I wish the other guys had considered. Feature creep is the bane of all design and is especially painful in the software world.

Hope it's at least gets you some beer money :)

Codiak

Enlightened

Thoughts?

Ordered the LD010C today, ups ground puts it arriving mid next week.
Excellent idea, I'm going to see how hot the LD gets before looking at the rest of the design, but putting in the canister assembly requiring only one for multiple drivers would be killer.