• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Adjustable 10A linear LED driver - New and Improved!

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Adjustable 10A linear constant current driver

Ordered the LD010C today, ups ground puts it arriving mid next week.
Excellent idea, I'm going to see how hot the LD gets before looking at the rest of the design, but putting in the canister assembly requiring only one for multiple drivers would be killer.

Codiak, where did you get it from... Got a link? I think I saw it at DigiKey.
Thanks

cocoro1967

Newly Enlightened

Hello
I your items IS1006 - 0880 Items to buy one
How much money will you include the shipping amount to Japan.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is this correct????

Sorry, I'll be patient and wait till you have more time. I was rewiring my light for the driver.

Okay, so I updated the datasheet to show some more wiring configurations, including the potentiometer, but I don't see a way to get the relevant drawing into something I can post. I got it into a PDF, and Picasa says it imported, but I can't see it. How did you do it?

D

Codiak

Enlightened

How will this driver behave if the Vin is below the Vf of the LED? Will it go into direct drive mode?

I guess I and others are probably a little disappointed that there is no switch mode driver available yet for the SST-90s. I for one want to use a 2S Li Ion pack or even 3S.

But I have a cunning plan. Use a LDO10C voltage regulator and set the output at 0.5v (+-) above the Vf of the LED and run that into this DIW's linear regulator. This will give a constant current regulator that you can run off any voltage up to 13.8v and yet still be fairly efficient.
Use some thermal feed back as well just for protection. Unsure if its best to use the thermal feed back on the CC driver or CV driver though.
Thoughts?

It works great!!! 4.9A constant for 1.5 hours! (checked regularly)
used only 330ohm resistor to set initial voltage at 4.27volts measured
Only LED got warm, still touchable bare skined

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast

Okay, so I updated the datasheet to show some more wiring configurations, including the potentiometer, but I don't see a way to get the relevant drawing into something I can post. I got it into a PDF, and Picasa says it imported, but I can't see it. How did you do it?

D

Easy, just open it on your PC, hit Print Screen. Open Paint (start-all programs-accessories-paint) and edit-paste, crop it and save it as a jpg and upload it to Photobucket, grab the direct IMG link.

If you need help, send it to me and I'll get you a link so you can ad to your first post.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast

Easy, just open it on your PC, hit Print Screen. Open Paint (start-all programs-accessories-paint) and edit-paste, crop it and save it as a jpg and upload it to Photobucket, grab the direct IMG link.

If you need help, send it to me and I'll get you a link so you can ad to your first post.

Easy. Yeah. I suppose it could have been if the *&^%$ing PRINTSCREEN keycap had been on the proper key!

Now that my keyboard is adjusted, and with your help :thumbsup:, I have been able to post an extract from my own document, here's the image showing how to connect a potentiometer to the IS1006. It also shows an alternate configuration on the positive side: batt direct to LED, and much smaller wire from batt to IS1006. Note the heavy red wires carry high current, the thin black ones can be very small, as they carry very little current.

Fig%204.JPG

D

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast

Below is an excerpt from an e-mail sent to 350xfire regarding questions he had about using the LDO10C with the IS1006:

Someone needs to teach those idiots how to write a data sheet. In order to use the device, you need three documents - the data sheet, the longform datasheet, and the application note. The latter two I found on the "certificates, TRN's & documents" link from the LDO10C web site.

After looking at the thermal data in the longform datasheet, I'm a little alarmed at the possibility of the LDO10C overheating. It says it's designed to use forced air (fan) cooling. They don't give any information about running in still air (as you would have in a flashlight). At 5A, you are probably okay, as long as you don't have high input voltage and high ambient temp around the module. 9V and 40degrees C should be fine. At 8A, you may have a problem, but it's really hard to tell. At 10A you might be screwed.

It's best if the input voltage is as low as possible. The IS1006 needs 0.3V above the LED voltage, and the LDO10C probably needs another 0.5V, so the minimum input voltage is Vled+0.8V. 5S or 6S NiMH or 2S Li-Ion packs should provide sufficient input voltage (but if you're going NiMH, I'd recommend 4S packs and eliminate the LDO10C). From here on I'll assume you are using 2S Li-Ion packs.

A single resistor sets the output voltage of the LDO10C. The equation is
R (K ohms) = 1.182/(Vout-0.591V).
For 5A output, I would recommend Vout = Vled + 0.4V. This would maximize overall system efficiency. If Vled is 3.9V, then R= 0.319 K ohms, or 319 ohms. The nearest standard value would be 316 ohms.

For 8A output, you could run the same way if you had good cooling, but I worry the LDO would overheat. In a closed container with no real cooling for the LDO10, I would recommend sacrificing some overall efficiency to protect the LDO10. I would raise the LDO10's output voltage to 5V using a 267 ohm resistor. Explaination: the heat generated in the LDO10 increases as the output current increases, and also as the ratio of input to output voltage increases. Keeping the ratio of input to output voltage low helps keep the LDO10 from overheating.

Packhorse has more experience keeping electronics cool in a light than I do. Perhaps he can add some suggestions.

D

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast

payment sent for 1 IS1006-0512 driver.

Thanks

ahorton

Enlightened

:paypal:

oh boy oh boy oh boy!

... starts running to the letter box every hour just in case ...

csa

Enlightened

I hate companies that supply bad data sheets. Really a terrible thing...

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm just taking a guess, but by DIWdiver post #50 above, this project was put on hold to clarify the heat and/or damage issue by bad numbers given in the data sheets. Hopefully a quick solution can be found, I need my SST-90 Mag!!

EDIT:
Sorry about the confusion I added. I don't know what a LDO10C is or how it is used in this regulator. It looks like my 4s NiMh was never in question. Disregard this post, I obviously don't know what I'm talking about, it just alarmed me and the other electronic Noobs lovecpf

Last edited:

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast

Any chance of getting the link? The thumbnail view is impossible to see.

Sorry. Picasa reduced the picture to 128 x 96 from its original 800x600. I have no idea why. I can get a .gif file at 800x600, and import it to picasa, but I can't see it once it is imported. What a PITA!

If anyone can help, I'm all ears.

In the meantime, I e-mailed you the entire data sheet.

D

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm just taking a guess, but by DIWdiver post #50 above, this project was put on hold to clarify the heat and/or damage issue by bad numbers given in the data sheets. Hopefully a quick solution can be found, I need my SST-90 Mag!!

I don't know who put 'this project' on hold, but it wasn't me. You may have put your project on hold, and I wouldn't argue with that. But please don't speak for everyone else.

With that said, it appears that the LDO10C isn't the panaea some of us had hoped. But all is not lost. If running an SST-50 with a 2S LiIon pack, I wouldn't worry at all. Running SST-90 at 7A, with 2S LiIon, probably okay, some care warranted. Running higher than 7A or 8V, there are some questions. I'm hoping to hear from Packhorse or someone else with appropriate experience soon. Otherwise, I may have to delve deeper into it myself. As a designer whose expertise is a mixture of theoretical and practical, leaning toward theoretical, I find it''s always useful to listen to those that lean toward practical.

It seems to me the issue is how to get the heat out of the LDO10C. With the thermal epoxies, pastes, and other compounds available, hopefully there will be a good solution soon.

D

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here is my setup,

BRITELUMENS SST-90 Custom MAG D Heatsink with a DIWdiver SST-90 driver and hand made heatsink thermo grease and screwed down. Wires are 20GA Teflon jacket silver coated copper. It draws 9.97A on 4 fresh C size AccuEvolution Ultra Low Self Discharge NiMH Rechargeable Batteries in a 3D Maglite. 2 Modes, off and "Holy Crap!"

Thanks for a great product Don!!

IMG_8168.jpg

IMG_8169.jpg

IMG_8170.jpg

Delphinus

Newly Enlightened

Here is my setup,

BRITELUMENS SST-90 Custom MAG D Heatsink with a DIWdiver SST-90 driver and hand made heatsink thermo grease and screwed down. Wires are 20GA Teflon jacket silver coated copper. It draws 9.97A on 4 fresh C size AccuEvolution Ultra Low Self Discharge NiMH Rechargeable Batteries in a 3D Maglite. 2 Modes, off and "Holy Crap!"

Can you tell me the total voltage of the 4C batteries and did to test the circuit for a long time?

My questions are because in this moment I'm conducting a test and would like to compare results.

I have a feeling that the circuit heat sink is not sufficient.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can you tell me the total voltage of the 4C batteries and did to test the circuit for a long time?

My questions are because in this moment I'm conducting a test and would like to compare results.

I have a feeling that the circuit heat sink is not sufficient.

5.76V off the charger. I never attempted to do a long run since the light gets so hot after a minute, it's just for show and was aware of that. I'll get the low mode working soon when I find a good 2 pole rocker that will fit.