Advice on Side Emitting LED strip for car

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrVette

Newly Enlightened
Chevy Cruze ECO 2012

Looking till exhausted for an adhesive mount strip for headlight.
Attempt for L shape like Euro cars.

I am sure ot is junk comparred to the other, I am wayy out of touch here.
I value your $0.02 worth ;)
Thx

Last edited by a moderator:

Rblprd

Newly Enlightened
Have you thought about small single row LED aux lights?
Rigid Industries has some pretty decent ones. They are a bit spendy, but you can choose from 2, 3, 4 & 6 driver versions. Flush mount, surface mount and various beam patterns.

Once I finally get my train wreck of a budget in order I'm likely to get a 2 LED, surface mount as an aux backup light for my SuperDuty.

I'm also planning on at least 1 or 2 sets of their Dually surface mounts to replace my factory fog lights. 4 LED in both Flood & spot configuration. They are damn tough and throw a lot of useful light.

Just my 1/2 cent
:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
What is it you want to accomplish with these lights? Are you trying for front position ("parking") lights? Daytime running lights? Something else? It's not safe or legal to just slap any ol' light on a car and decide it's a fog lamp, "driving" lamp, "auxiliary" light, or whatever.

DrVette

Newly Enlightened
Have you thought about small single row LED aux lights?
Yeah I have looked at all led units I can find.
The car is a 2012 Chevy Cruze ECO w/factory style foglights.
There is no option for those other than "hanging" them on.
I want an Audi style headlight drl look.

See Rule #3 Do not Hot Link images. Please host on an image site, Imageshack or similar and repost your last image was also oversize even if you rehosted it. – Thanks Norm

DrVette

Newly Enlightened
What is it you want to accomplish with these lights? Are you trying for front position ("parking") lights? Daytime running lights? Something else? It's not safe or legal to just slap any ol' light on a car and decide it's a fog lamp, "driving" lamp, "auxiliary" light, or whatever.

I understand the legal, I'm asking if these are "too" bright for headlamp "eyebrow" drl's?

Rblprd

Newly Enlightened
There's always behind the grill.

But I see your point, the Audi style would work much better. I tend to look at it front the perspective of its all a matter of fabrication since I'm driving an 8500 pound missle :)

Unless you go with some serious LED strips, I doubt they would be too bright. A friend of mine does have some that would qualify as too bright for that use I think, but this stuff is designed most for under cabinet lighting and such.

Good luck thou, do post a picture of the final solution.

Yeah I have looked at all led units I can find.
The car is a 2012 Chevy Cruze ECO w/factory style foglights.
There is no option for those other than "hanging" them on.
I want an Audi style headlight drl look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

irsa76

Newly Enlightened
I've looked into these for the same purpose on my Citroen. Annoyingly my car lacks the factory DRL that european market versions have, in the same model year!. A couple of guys I know have tried them for DRL and backup/general lighting and found while they are pretty bright, they had a very short life span. Either they simply felll off, adhesive strip, or they burned out. Now I'm looking at some Hella or Narva LED DRL assemblies in my lower bumper grill.

DrVette

Newly Enlightened
Any thoughts to the strips I mentioned?
@ 80w/ft they should be very bright, for a side emitter anyway.

Lightdoctor

Enlightened
Total junk! Not worth the money to have them shipped to you.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I understand the legal

It doesn't seem as though you do. Like all vehicle exterior lights, daytime running lights have specific technical requirements they must meet. We don't get to just "decide" random lamps into DRLs. The lighting modifications/products you're asking about or recommending are illegal and/or unsafe. Rule 11 of this board prohibits advocating illegal or dangerous activity.

There are lots of LED DRLs -- real ones -- available from reputable makers (Hella, for example, has probably a dozen different ones, including "LEDayFlex" ones). Pick one of those, but realize that no matter what you install, nobody's going to mistake your Cruze for an Audi.

Last edited:

DrVette

Newly Enlightened
It doesn't seem as though you do. Like all vehicle exterior lights, daytime running lights have specific technical requirements they must meet. We don't get to just "decide" random lamps into DRLs. The lighting modifications/products you're asking about or recommending are illegal and/or unsafe. Rule 11 of this board prohibits advocating illegal or dangerous activity.

There are lots of LED DRLs -- real ones -- available from reputable makers (Hella, for example, has probably a dozen different ones, including "LEDayFlex" ones). Pick one of those, but realize that no matter what you install, nobody's going to mistake your Cruze for an Audi.

Oops,did not realize I violated rule #11,
As far as legal & DOT regs, where I live they ignore bumper height regulations, cat converter, emission etc etc
I personally do Not condone this type of activity.

Can you direct me to some drl unit for generic usage that does Not violate rule #11?

thanks

DrVette

Newly Enlightened
Total junk! Not worth the money to have them shipped to you.

Q for you & irsa76

Are you guys talking about the same 80L/ft unit I linked to?
Apples & Oranges.

I have other lighting uses besides drl,
BTW.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
See Hella's line of DRLs, and Philips' line.

Or look, here is a set of linear white LED DRLs specifically designed for the Cruze. I have no direct info on the quality or compliance of this set, but the maker has a long and good track record in vehicle accessories (cruise controls, etc).

Last edited:

DrVette

Newly Enlightened

To clarify, my goal is make the vehicle more visible for safety reasons.

A RF Remote control is avalable for night time dimming.

See Rule #3 Do not Hot Link images. Please host on an image site, Imageshack or similar and repost – Thanks Norm

DrVette

Newly Enlightened

Or look, here is a set of linear white LED DRLs specifically designed for the Cruze. I have no direct info on the quality or compliance of this set, but the maker has a long and good track record in vehicle accessories (cruise controls, etc).

Thanks for the info
You guys who deal with leds know who makes junk and who delivers quality.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
To clarify, my goal is make the vehicle more visible for safety reasons.

That is the reason for the existence of daytime running lights, but -- again -- daytime running lights, even though they are not mandatory equipment in the US, must perform in accordance with the applicable technical requirements. These cannot be judged by guess and by eye; you really do need to use approved or certified lamps if you intend to drive the vehicle on the public highways. A manual dimmer such as you linked isn't acceptable, either.

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
I didn't even know those remote dimmer gadgets existed; not something I'd want to mess with as part of my road legal lighting. Might actually be useful for in-bed lighting for a pickup or interior lighting in a camper, or off-road work lights when your trusty 4x4 is parked at camp out in the boondocks.

DrVette

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the research, my Cruze has factory foglights,.no place for anythimg other than a side emitter strip.
Autozone & Advance have a 28" Aplena LEDlitz strip, however they contain Two 14" strips,.too short for my app.
These did not say "off road only" so I dunno if they are DOT are not.
No issue as they are a bit too short. I'm hoping for an OEM look.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Alpena-28-in-LEDLitz-light/_/N-25pw?switch=true

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Thanks for the research, my Cruze has factory foglights

They're useless. Replace 'em with the DRLs and you'll have something in that location actually worth having.

Autozone & Advance have a 28" Aplena LEDlitz strip

...not technically or legally acceptable as a daytime running light...

These did not say "off road only"

There is no legal meaning to "off road only" or any variant. It is commonly applied to unsafe garbage by its makers and marketers. It does not confer any exemption from legal requirements, nor does it shield the seller or buyer from liability. And more to the point of this case, its non-appearance does not mean the product is OK.

DrVette

Newly Enlightened
Thank ya very much for the info.

I suppose many retailers offer goods for sale and it's "
Buyer-Beware" re: legalities.

I recall a Mother posting that her son was cited for aftermarket tail lights.
They were marked "DOT Approved"
No matter, they were Not.

Lately a pal got a very nice looking helmet off ebay.
It was very light and too cheap,
even with the alleged DOT sticker, I would not wear it.

Caveat Emptor

Status
Not open for further replies.