AE Xenide 25

Danielsuzuki

Newly Enlightened
I'm a newb, so bear with me. I am considering the purchase of my first HID. I have settled on AE, and am curious as to a couple of things...

1. what is the difference (other than the battery and waterproofing of same) between the xenide 25 and the class 1 of the same?

2. have any of you used the so called high output bulb, and is it of a different color rating?

3. what is the runtime of said high output bulb?

I love my surefire c3, just looking for a great quality light with a bit more punch... ;)

Daniel

AEHaas

Newly Enlightened
You have to unscrew the battery for charging on the explosion proof version. With a run time of over 2 hours though it is not a problem for me. It is my safety light. If there is a gas leak or a dusty environment with an explosion hazard there are few choices.
The higher output bulb has a slight green tint, not a bother. The battery time is the same. But the difference in lumens is not that big.
It is a must have HID in my collection.

aehaas

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi DanielSuzuki,

:welcome:

1. You pretty much answered your own question there, it means it's rated for explosive environments. The battery is waterproof, so you're going to have to use the charging stand (which I believe comes with the Class 1).

2. As soon as I get the money I am going to post a review of this bulb. According to the website it's supposed to have a greenish tint.

3. Runtime should be less than the stock bulb. The bulb is driven harder so there is likely a compromise. I'll contact Marc from AE Light to check.

Danielsuzuki

Newly Enlightened
Thanks loads for the info! The wifes gonna kill me... Been here snooping around for a few days. Great information on lights I never dreamed of! It's a whole new (very expensive) world.

Daniel

Danielsuzuki

Newly Enlightened
Just out of curiosity, how does the throw compare to lights of similar size? The only beamshots I could find are compared with led lights... I might just be beating a dead horse here, but I just can't seem to quell my needs for information.

Daniel

Patriot

Flashaholic
Daniel, the Xenide25 throws as good or better than any comparably sized HID light and better than any reflectored LED light that I can think of.