AE Xenide 25w first impressions

lemonvr6

Newly Enlightened
Not really a review, just some thoughts.

-Takes ~30 seconds or so to fully warm up and for the beam to "calm down".

-Bigger than it looks online, makes my 3d LED Mag look like a straw.

-Mix between flood and spot, large hotspot but lots of spill as well.

-Brighter than I would ever actually need

-Feels like a tank.

Richie086

Enlightened
Not really a review, just some thoughts.

-Takes ~30 seconds or so to fully warm up and for the beam to "calm down".

-Bigger than it looks online, makes my 3d LED Mag look like a straw.

-Mix between flood and spot, large hotspot but lots of spill as well.

-Brighter than I would ever actually need

-Feels like a tank.

I can add a couple to that list; it's got the ringiest beam I've ever seen with varying red hues within the corona and is actually the least used light in my collection due to this. I could live with the rings, but color temp consistency leaves much to be desired.

However, it has wonderful construction and feel, the On/off switch is excellent and intelligently located. Runtime is consistent at exactly 2 hours with the 4800mAh battery. Numerous great accessories available for it. Hopefully it'll grow on me with more use this summer.

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
I can add a couple to that list; it's got the ringiest beam I've ever seen with varying red hues within the corona and is actually the least used light in my collection due to this. I could live with the rings, but color temp consistency leaves much to be desired.

However, it has wonderful construction and feel, the On/off switch is excellent and intelligently located. Runtime is consistent at exactly 2 hours with the 4800mAh battery. Numerous great accessories available for it. Hopefully it'll grow on me with more use this summer.

I agree with you, you discribed the beam I am seeing in mine perfectly.

Mine does not get used much either :shakehead

Richie086

Enlightened
I agree with you, you discribed the beam I am seeing in mine perfectly.

Mine does not get used much either :shakehead

Hi there Psycho,

Given the fact Mr. Marc Allsman contacted me about my issue with the large amount of reddish hue, and explained to me it's normal for the following reason.

"The red color you see is normal and is a reflection of one of the electrodes in the arc chamber. The lamp is DC so one electrode will always run hotter than the other. The Red is usually only visible if you shine the beam on a white surface and usually not noticeable when shined out on a target."

I should add to Mr. Allsman's quote that the red hue is totally noticable outside. Seems to me my AEX-25 is the only one in my collection that has this issue, so I'm going to refer to it as an issue or design flaw. I assume all AEX's perform this way, so it can't be considered defective and there is nothing that can be done anyway. As incredible as it may seem, I find myself reaching for either of my 24w or the demo 35w flashlight I still have on loan rather than my AEX.

Last edited:

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
Hi there Psycho,

Given the fact Mr. Marc Allsman contacted me about my issue with the large amount of reddish hue, and explained to me it's normal for the following reason.

"The red color you see is normal and is a reflection of one of the electrodes in the arc chamber. The lamp is DC so one electrode will always run hotter than the other. The Red is usually only visible if you shine the beam on a white surface and usually not noticeable when shined out on a target."

I should add to Mr. Allsman's quote that the red hue is totally noticeable outside. Seems to me my AEX-25 is the only one in my collection that has this issue, so I'm going to refer to it as an issue or design flaw. I assume all AEX's perform this way, so it can't be considered defective and there is nothing that can be done anyway. As incredible as it may seem, I find myself reaching for either of my 24w or the demo 35w flashlight I still have on lone rather than my AEX.

Thank you for this post.
That is very interesting. At first, I simply thought this was normal for
this type of HID bulb and design, but my Wolf Eyes 24W HID does not
have this issue.
And yes, I can clearly see the red tint even outside at night. Even on
green grass and trees.
Also, there is a rather large "peanut" shaped spot smack in the middle
of the hot spot. This is noticeable only on flat smooth surfaces (walls)
but at 6 meters to about 20 meters.
The beam not only has rings, a peanut middle, but its uneven, with
more red and violet color tinting on the right, and a pinkish tint on
the left. The hot spot it's self is kind of "egg shaped"!
In general, a very annoying light!!

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always noticed that reddish hue in my Xenide, it never bothered or affected me using the light.

Last edited:

300winmag

Enlightened
Mine takes 20 secs to fully start up.
I have never really noticed the red you mentioned, I will check to see.:thinking:
I wish mine was more of a narrow beam, looking at the body you would think the beam would go a little further but when I turned it on that was not the case. All in all I can say I love it but it is the most unused light due to star up time.

bullettproof

Enlightened
The more I use mt Xenide the whiter it keeps getting.U have to let the bulb break in Im on my 2nd charge and I can see a difference in color.The red is just about gone.It is more of a throw light I belive.I like the Xenide a lot.At 20 yards and beyond it looks awesome.

Last edited:

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
Thank you for this post.
That is very interesting. At first, I simply thought this was normal for
this type of HID bulb and design, but my Wolf Eyes 24W HID does not
have this issue.
And yes, I can clearly see the red tint even outside at night. Even on
green grass and trees.
Also, there is a rather large "peanut" shaped spot smack in the middle
of the hot spot. This is noticeable only on flat smooth surfaces (walls)
but at 6 meters to about 20 meters.
The beam not only has rings, a peanut middle, but its uneven, with
more red and violet color tinting on the right, and a pinkish tint on
the left. The hot spot it's self is kind of "egg shaped"!
In general, a very annoying light!!

I need to update this post.

I did sell my AE 24W, but I found that the artifacts I had mentioned
earlier had disappeared over time.
I believe it has to do with this bulb requiring a "breaking in" period.
As I used it, the "peanut" was the first to disappear, then, the red tint started to lessen and finely that disappeared too.

When I sold it, the beam looked fantastic!! and I almost changed my mind.
The new owner has not reported any of the earlier beam artifacts, and he
is very happy with the light.

If anyone is seeing the red tint, or other artifacts, I suggest you keep
using the light so the bulb can stabilize. Just use it for a few minutes
every day, like I did, and I think you will see a big improvement.

bullettproof

Enlightened
I need to update this post.

I did sell my AE 24W, but I found that the artifacts I had mentioned
earlier had disappeared over time.
I believe it has to do with this bulb requiring a "breaking in" period.
As I used it, the "peanut" was the first to disappear, then, the red tint started to lessen and finely that disappeared too.

When I sold it, the beam looked fantastic!! and I almost changed my mind.
The new owner has not reported any of the earlier beam artifacts, and he
is very happy with the light.

If anyone is seeing the red tint, or other artifacts, I suggest you keep
using the light so the bulb can stabilize. Just use it for a few minutes
every day, like I did, and I think you will see a big improvement.

He isnt lying he almost did change his mind I asked Bunny like 5 times if he was sure he wanted to sell it still LOL.The more I use this light the cleaner white the beam is.Almost all the red tint is gone and the center is pure white.I think that the light has an excellent contrast when outside and I couldnt be happier well I would be happier if it was a 35W or 50W.But I dont think thats gonna happen.But needless to say the Ae Xenide is built with quality and precision and sometimes a good combination of all things is whats best.

lemonvr6

Newly Enlightened
He isnt lying he almost did change his mind I asked Bunny like 5 times if he was sure he wanted to sell it still LOL.The more I use this light the cleaner white the beam is.Almost all the red tint is gone and the center is pure white.I think that the light has an excellent contrast when outside and I couldnt be happier well I would be happier if it was a 35W or 50W.But I dont think thats gonna happen.But needless to say the Ae Xenide is built with quality and precision and sometimes a good combination of all things is whats best.

The last thing I would need is more light. I'd take a three (four?) hour runtime, a tighter spot, but there's enough light.

CbusRog

Newly Enlightened
Artifacts aside, my Xenide blinks out if bumped. Other then that it's a great light.