After Christmas sales on lights?

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a UV (shortwave) air purifier from target, it looks to be a automotive device, it has a cig plug but no wal-wart. It has 2x white LEDs, a small fan, and a u bent UV tube. was $30, half off for $15. You can really smell the ozone from this one.

The other thing I found was a 5 pack of flashlights for about $8 at home depot. These come with batteries and have a 4 position side clicky. The tri-reflector has a red, amber, and white LED. the white throws ok (for a $1 light) the red and amber look horrible. but this is because the die is soo small. The red and amber are just resistored, but the white has a boost in it. REALLY interesting design actually. I will try and get some pics up of these.
Jeff

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to Target at Rowland, Nov. but didn't get anything. The LED string lights were sold out but they had LED rope trees and window signs 1/2 off.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a mini led light strand. It has a bunch of white 3mm leds, 6' I think, and it takes 4xAA in a case. Reduced to $2.50. I like it alot, I wrapped it around my headboard, and with 4 half dead cells I can read by it, and it lights the room up a bit. Not bad for $2.50.
Plus, my "tree" is only 13" or so, so would be perfect for it.

heliyardsale

Newly Enlightened
Newuser01 said:
:huh2::huh2::huh2: Are'nt these threads spans 2 years? 2005 and now it is 2006? Or Did I just missed something?

Anyways, Here is what I found, 5 Different flashlights (AA, 2AA, 2D, Clip light, etc. Cheap stuff for $5. Good for the kids.
It's in the red box. <Lights are black and silver trim. Ok but not great.>

This one is good.
Micro LED table lanterns, uses 4 AA batteries in a carrier, 4 LED's. Not great quality but pretty good. 3 of them for 10 clems. 1/2 off. Very bright.
Sorry about the blurry images.
img1186akl4.jpg
img1187alj8.jpg
img1188awc3.jpg

Have fun.
<EDIT> Also picked up a 3AA Minimage from HD. Price sticker seems to be regular price for 16 some odd clems. Not sure if they will be this price after the 1st. Very bright but Green - compare to SL PP LUX. It is also as bright as SL PP LUX to my eye. Body seems a bit long for me. But I think I'll keep it. Ser # 30000436087
<EDIT:2> Also 5 pack Husky 2 AAA lights are 7.50 now at HD. I passed. These seems to be the ones that you can remove the sleeve and use AA cels in them. If they were $5, I might have just to let the kids play with them. :rant:

I bought some of these today, 1/2 still 3 for 10.00 they also had AA battery 2 packs on sale for .25cents. actually these lights are pretty good, almost as bright as my RR but not as durable....

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
heliyardsale said:
I bought some of these today, 1/2 still 3 for 10.00 they also had AA battery 2 packs on sale for .25cents. actually these lights are pretty good, almost as bright as my RR but not as durable....

:huh2:

Here was my assessment of them before Christmas:

Folks, keep walking. I bought a pack today, and it took me less than 60 seconds to determine these are a complete piece of junk, with no redeeming qualities. :thumbsdowRiver Rock's they ain't. Fit, finish and performance are not even in the RR's ballpark. I'd spend another $20 on one RR over three of these at the $17 markdown price I paid today. After Christmas you'll probably be able to buy the three-pack for $5 or less. Even then, I won't be in line, so worthless are they.

0:00 - Remove lantern from box.
0:05 - Note four cheap, anemic 5 mm LEDs pointing up toward a RR-like reflective cone.
0:10 - Remove threaded battery cover. Note two short sets of shallow threads molded into base, covering only about 30% of circumference.
0:30 - Load four AA batteries in the not-too-terrible battery holder and insert into lantern body.
0:45 - Struggle to screw battery cover into body. With loaded battery holder, it's impossible to screw the cover into the base without cross-threading the cover. :hairpull: You either have to keep screwing it in cross-threaded until it pops into the proper threads on the last turn, or push on the cover to pop it into the proper threads. Once situated, it seems secure, but how long can these cheesy, shallow plastic threads survive cross-threading at every battery change?
0:60 - Go into dark laundry room and press power button. Nothing. Diddle with battery cover, light flickers. Unscrew cover slightly -- find sweet spot -- light works. This is supposed to be a "lantern," right? Dim only begins to describe this thing. :candle: Someone mentioned that this lantern has only one power level. The RR has only one also, but could use another one or two. On this lantern, however, three power levels would equate to dim, dimmer, and dimmest. To put a dimmer on this lantern would be akin to donning a pair of sunglasses on the eve of a full moon. If you turned a River Rock 4AA, 1.5 watt lantern on, and turned this one on next to it, you would not even be able to see this lantern's illumination at all. To call the throw "ringy" is being polite. It casts a dim light only from the "horizon" upward about 45 degrees, with lots of pretty artifacts. At the very upper end of it's reach, the pattern is actually quite pretty ... looks sort of like a doily. :whistle: Illumination below the horizon is nonexistent. :poof: Fit and finish are, I suppose, what one would expect from a $5.66 made-in-china lantern.:shakehead

So, sixty seconds to ascertain it's a POS ... one hour to go back to store and stand in the return line. Don't bother. And if you're thinking maybe you could just give a set as a cheap gift, saying to yourself, "It's the thought that counts," your recipient will be asking himself after turning it on, "What was he thinking?":xyxgun: