Aircraft landing lights, ACLs, yes, another thread.

mdocod

Flashaholic
DC/AC shouldn't make a major difference... There is a thermal mass to the filament that will shrug off the spikes in AC and hold the heat through the dips.

As for installing landing lights... eh... well, do the math first and figure out how much power you are actually going to need.. Most vehicle alternators are rated for ~50-150 amps depending on the vehicle. Around 80 is probably pretty common. Keep in mind that running an alternator at maximum output frequently is going to wear it out much faster.

With that in mind, the total power consumption from the alternator in most vehicles is going to be limited to around 600-1800 watts. (in some cases less)... In my experience, it's the fancier luxury vehicles that include nice big alternators with plenty of overhead to easily run all of the nice features in the car.

Right now, you are already running high and low beams at the same time, this consumes about 200W give or take.

rear defrost, rear lights, brake lights, blowers for climate control, blinkers, dash lights, engine computer, other control electronics (ABS etc), ignition system, heated mirrors, heated seats, window wipers, dash lights, stereo... and on and on...
All of these things consume additional power, some features you may or may not have but one could assume that with a few things on, several hundred watts are being consumed above and beyond the headlights.

Most stock alternators can handle the addition of a set of fog lights or auxiliary driving lights, (70-130w) and maybe a bit more, like some thumping subs or a small inverter running a piece of medical equipment or something.... but, when you start putting loads of 600W X2 with a pair of aircraft landing lights, you are pushing well over the scope of most car alternators.

On a separate note: If you were actually listening to 3000W of musical power in your car at that close range, you would be suffering from organ damage, retina separation, major hearing loss or complete loss of hearing, etc etc... The world of car audio and the way they like to throw around "watts" as a specification is actually far worse than the over-stated lumen value of many cheap flashlights. If the system were drawing anywhere near that much power, your battery would go flat in minutes, and the headlights would be very dim in the moments leading up to the battery failing. Truth is, most people listen to music inside of a few watts of total power consumption. Often, a fraction of a watt is more than adequate for a good listening volume. Bass does require far more energy and is far less efficient to produce than the normal listening range; if you are running a gangster style thump mobile, then it's possible that you are using 100+ watts here... I have actually hooked up measuring equipment between amps and speakers. Bass in most musical programs in excess of 50-100W inside of a car (assuming average woofer efficiency) is almost intolerable. Some speaker/enclosure combination's will require much higher power input to achieve those same levels of output due to inherent inefficiencies (long-throw driver designs in small sealed boxes, as an example)... Nuff said on this, just wanted to share...

Ok... so you are going to run into a power problem if you want to run a high power lamp for any long period of time... with that in mind, your best bet is to scale back in the power consumption department, and if you want more raw lumens, look in the direction of HIDs. A pair of 35W HIDs in an auxiliary "high beam" oriented design will probably really impress just about anyone, move up to 50W and you'll have more lumens on the road than you could ever really seriously need...

Now, I want to defend your position of needing more light as many responses here have been trying to discourage it. Provided the roads are not populated, and provided you have a real reason involving safety to have more light, I'm in full support. I live in the woods, I have to keep an eye out for deer any time I go out. I too would like to improve the forward lighting on my vehicles. As I recall, in many states in the USA, auxiliary driving lights in massive quantity are perfectly legal provided they are not activated in the presence of other traffic (especially oncoming). These lights may be sold for "off-road" use only, but can be used on rural roads in most places without any legal trouble if you are courteous in the way they they are used. Even traveling 45MPH through a wooded rural road can be dangerous if you have large mammals randomly hopping out into the road, more light, especially if it is directed properly, will help the driver see those animals with more advanced warning.

So.. to consolidate: air-craft landing lights might be fun if they are just there to impress friends for a few seconds, but for practical long-term use in rural roads, adding some HID aux lights is probably the best route.

Eric

KD5XB

Enlightened
If you want some really good lights, get some of these with the driving beam and clear lenses. They run on 12 VDC and I think they come stock with 55 watt elements. Almost any vehicle can handle an extra 110 watts total. And these lights are INCREDIBLE. I had a pair on a Jeep Wagoneer some years ago and they were the brightest thing I had ever seen. I actually flew Cessnas and Pipers back then, and those landing lights were like using an old 2 D-cell flashlight in comparison.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's good to hear some nice things about the Cibie's. I've been looking at a set of Oscars for a while now, but waffling between those, or a VisionX 22" light bar w/a spot beam.

I think I'm going to order the Oscar's, but first I have to build a new wiring harness for my stock headlights... Heavier gauge wiring, better connectors, that sort of thing. And then fabbing a mount for two of these for the center of my grill.

KD5XB

Enlightened
At the risk of "preaching to the choir" -- YOU may know this, but perhaps there's somebody who doesn't --

You DON'T want to simply wire these in parallel with your headlights. You need to be able to control them separately from the headlights.

And... an easy way to fabricate a wiring harness for your OEM headlights -- simply use the original harness to control a relay for each bright beam. Connect the wire that originally put +12VDC on the bright filament to the coil of the relay, the other side of the coil to ground. Use #12 or #10 to connect from the battery to the NO contact of the relay, and again #10 or #12 from the other NO contact to the headlight. That should work out fine for OEM lights.

Connect a smaller wire -- anything will do, really -- from the "bright beam" wire in the original harness and go to a toggle switch inside the car. From the other side of that switch, run a still small wire to a relay near your new Oscars. Which is why any size will do, it's only controlling the relay at perhaps 300 mills. And again, take some #10 or #12 and connect from the battery to the NO contact of this relay and #10 or #12 to the Oscars.

I like the Oscar Plus because it's a bit shallower and easier to mount in a tight space -- like on a bumper in front of the grill.

Ever try to draw a picture using a keyboard? It's TOUGH. :green:

KD5XB

Enlightened
BTW -- for OFF-ROAD use, you can replace the original 55 watt elements with 100-watt elements and have the sun preceding you down the road! :eek:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whatever I end up with, it'll definitely be switched separately from my high beams, so no worries there...

Random Guy

Enlightened
Whatever I end up with, it'll definitely be switched separately from my high beams, so no worries there...
Auxiliary lamps should be on a separate switch from the high beams, but they should be wired in such a way that they will only run with the high beams on. Picture it: You are driving down a long and lonely stretch of road at night. You have your high beams and your auxiliary lamps blazing. Suddenly, you go around a curve and meet someone coming the other way. You want to quickly be able to go back to just your low beams. If the auxiliary lamps are switched completely seperatly from the high beams, you will both have to turn off your high beams and your auxiliary lamps. If the auxiliary lamps are wired so they only run with the high beams on, you simply switch back to the low beams, and your auxiliary lamps also turn off. This will also prevent you from blinding drivers during the day by mitakenly leaving the auxiliary lamps on, but your headlamps off.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am generally not a proponent of HID capsules rebased to fit halogen housings, but.....................

If these were to be OFF ROAD ONLY and you weren't too picky about focus, you could get a set of decent halogen lights and put an HID kit in them. I would like to stress again that this should be for OFF ROAD USE only.

I've done it to make cheap bright work lights. Works well. Don't get the cheapest lights you can find, as in addition to being a crap beam pattern to start with(which you don't care about as any engineering of the beam pattern will be completely negated by the HID kit), they are also generally not weather tight.

OFF ROAD ONLY.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
@ RandomGuy...
Good advice... I have a while to go yet, so plenty of time to get my act together.

@ DieselBomber...
Ehhh, I don't know... I'd rather spend some coin to get some good offroad lights. A good idea, but not for me.
As we tend to say, "Why get a cheap (off road) light, when an expensive one will do?" ;):laughing:

Hilldweller

Enlightened
If these were to be OFF ROAD ONLY and you weren't too picky about focus, you could get a set of decent halogen lights and put an HID kit in them.
HIDs have come down in price to the point that you don't have to do this anymore.
A 7" true HID light for $130 delivered to your door? I have a pair of these in the 4" size on the front of my Jeep and they're insanely bright. And only 35 watts each.
http://www.rdmoffroad.com/hidx---hid-offroad-light.aspx

HIDX%20Ad%20Photo.jpg

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
I've run a few landing lights in my time -- but in spotlights.

Typical landing lights, the 110,000 cp 11 by 6 degree beam 100 watt PAR36 (4-1/2") #4509 or the 200,000 cp 11 by 6 degree beam 100 watt PAR46 (5-3/4") #4537 or even the 250 watt #4522 PAR46 (forget the pattern but it was wider), were all terrific spotlights.

I had them in Unity spotlights. The unity switches and wiring were not even close to adequate. I ran heavy #12 "hinge" (60 strand) wire into the buckets and wired heavy toggle switches on the two spotlights at the upper windshield corners on my old offroad International. The #4522 was on the left and the #4537 on the right.

These lights are rated in the test lab at 13 volts, and given a life of 25 hours. On a vehicle, at 13.8 volts or more and lots of vibration, they will die even sooner. Sure you COULD manage to mount a #4537 in a 5-3/4" high beam bucket and run heavy wire to it. But you'd get more usable light from a good old Cibie 5-3/4" curved lens H1 headlight, and that WOULD last a long time.

Those HID lights at RDM Offroad look great -- until I saw 6000K. I do not want blue lights. Offer me a hundred dollar 4" HID in 4100 to 4300K and I'll save my pennies for a pair for my bike. For the truck or SUV, a couple of big halogens is more cost effective.

Back in the day, I ran all Cibie on my 1978 Saab 99 Turbo. 5-3/4" H4 outers, with 80/100 rally bulbs, H1 high beams with 100 watt bulbs, and a pair of Series 190 Cibie Oscar+ H2 driving lights with 100 watt H2 bulbs. Hit high beam, and you got six 100 watt lights. It worked great. I never got into trouble. I live in the country, and I dim my lights ANY time I see a car ahead of me, regardless of whether it's more than a mile away or whether I see headlights or taillights. Oh, and there was a pair of Cibie Series 175 fogs below the bumper with 55 watt H2 bulbs. Great fogs.

Forget landing lights for driving. They won't last. Heck, I still even have a few Simmons 150 watt sealed beam spotlights that are an exact fit for 5-3/4" high beams, right down to the mounting/aiming bumps and the slip-on connector prongs. But I've never used them in headlights.

Last edited:

Hilldweller

Enlightened

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be considerate of on-coming traffic ..... if you blind them, you may have a head-on collision.

This is NOT an Aircraft forum .... and you don't need landing lights on your car.

If you're driving fast enough to fly .... you need a different kind of help.

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
Well.... some of us may occasionally have been accused of flying low...

When alone on rural roads, I tried the landing light spotlights as driving lights. They reach out. That's what a landing light is for - temporary illumination of a straight stretch. But they are not driving lights.

I also learned, from those upper windshield corner mounted spots, that high mounted lights need only the slightest bit of dust, smoke or fog in the air to become blinding to the driver. Makes those roof mounted lightbars look not nearly so cool...

And thanks, Hilldweller. I'll keep that yellow tinting in mind. That way, I don't have to rule out a purchase if I get a super deal on an HID that's only in "blue." :cool:

Last edited:

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
if you are just looking for pure flood of light out the front of your vehicle when no one else is around, luminus devices makes an LED that does 6k lumens (4 times the average headlight output) csm-360, unfortunately they are pricey $175 a piece or so, but they run at 13 some odd volts, so vehicle voltage would be perfect and the output is ridiculous for the same wattage...sorry i'm an LED guy i have plans to do this mod to the fog lights on my truck after this deployment i figured i'd offer one more suggestion besides halogen and HID :naughty:

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
In addition to all the excellent points made (which have said a lot of things I would have said if I had found this thread earlier, but said them much better than I would have), remember to allow for 80% (?) efficiency of the inverter for alternator power calculations. Thus, 4 x 250 W bulbs through an inverter would be ~250 amps from your battery, and maybe more for being slightly overdriven. How big an alternator were you planning on getting? :grin2:

I knew once rectified ...
You wouldn't even need to rectify it for the lights to have 120 pulses of electricity per second.

Hilldweller

Enlightened
if you are just looking for pure flood of light out the front of your vehicle when no one else is around, luminus devices makes an LED that does 6k lumens (4 times the average headlight output) csm-360, unfortunately they are pricey $175 a piece or so, but they run at 13 some odd volts, so vehicle voltage would be perfect and the output is ridiculous for the same wattage...sorry i'm an LED guy i have plans to do this mod to the fog lights on my truck after this deployment i figured i'd offer one more suggestion besides halogen and HID :naughty:
Anything from them that I can buy and just stick on the vehicle or is everything from them just a build part?

VisionX and Rigid Industries both make wonderful God-Lights but are so dang expensive...

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
175 is just for the bulb (50k+ hours though) you would have to find a suitable housing for them and they are DEFINITELY not street legal, but they are robust and bright and not as power hungry. they were developed for use in computer wall projectors, but it was just to let you know there are other options if you are handy enough lol

scivicblu83

Newly Enlightened
:twothumbsok, so you want landing lights.....cool. heres what you do. get the 10 to 12 dollar utility lights that come with the 35 watt bulbs. then google general electric 4313 par 36 bulbs part number (GE 4313) about 20 dollars per bulb . 13 volt 250 watts!!!! now replace the 35 watts with the 250 watts, youll need to run some beefy wire and a good relay, ford starter solenoid i dont know the part number but a good autoparts guy should be able to get you one. note that these relays dont like to be used for more than a minute or so the get hot! there are similar relays called contactors used in multiple battery setups in rv's that can run continuosly. but you wouldnt want to run your new lights very long either as they also get really hot. they usually have 150 mph air keeping them cool. any way these lights end up being about 4 inches across super bright but stealthy. im not responsible for anything you do with this information, use your head!!!! ok now everybody can start the roast and safety warnings!!!!!!! enjoy!:popcorn:

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hm, I've got a couple of spare 12 V, 30 A relays. Just 25 hour life on those bulbs though. How many lumens? Being sealed beam I imagine they're not very efficient. A couple 130 W halogens might even be better.