Amazing new headlamp for cavers

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
ding-ding-ding-ding!!!! I keep wishing they would!!

+1

I'd be happy with a waterproof holder for 2 D26 bulbs with SF bezels and wiring with a switch or 2..

Then I could run whatever led/incan, spot/flood set-up I wanted. Think a good D26 led drop in with a flip up diffuser and an incan bulb for foggy conditions or when better color rendition is needed..

Would never be obsolete either... :whistle:

Sverre

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
the scurion and actionlight are niche products.
OK, so I misunderstood the statement.

If I'm looking for a light I actually do not care if it is made in small or large quantities. The only thing which counts is, if I can or can't get one (like the ActionLight III .-).

I cannot remember many cases where I wanted to have a feature (price does not count as a feature here) in a headlamp which was only available in a handheld one.
(And sometimes a light is developed as a headlamp and comes to the market as a handheld, like the Arc 4).

Back to the Serv-Light:

Karl: Yes, currently it is sold without a battery pack. A good move, I think. So people who want to use their own power sources can already buy the head instead of waiting until everything is available.

Yellow: I also think it is somewhat strange not to offer dimming. It should not add too much complexity. The Cree LED has a different beam. It may also have a different tint.

Somewhat funny, one of the main complaints about the Stenlight was, that it is not possible to switch the different LEDs independent, now this light makes the opposite aproach.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
ding-ding-ding-ding!!!! I keep wishing they would!!

Me 3!
It defies belief that some of these companies are so unenlightened (both the ones that refuse to make headlamps and the ones who make lousy plastic headlamps).
And I'm quite torn about how to express my opinion. I'm still trying to find that appropriate balance between troll, and not saying enough (and letting the manufacturers think they're doing a good job.) :sigh:

Yes thinking about offering no dimming control even on the single cree is a bit odd. I also fear they will not seek out premium tints for at least one light for giving better tint as well. I'm interested to see an objective review by someone with a bit of flashlight sense.

Last edited:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
that's a really nice looking website.
I wish it were in flash, that would be easier to load than a bunch of images with links.

Sarratt

Enlightened
.... I'm still trying to find that appropriate balance between troll, and not saying enough (and letting the manufacturers think they're doing a good job.) :sigh:

I think you struck a good balance there. :twothumbs

I can only assume that companies like Fenix have looked at the headlight market combined with a more complicated manufacturing process (another assumption) and concluded it's not a viable business option.
:shrug:

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
The control side does seem rather unusual - 4 microswitches, each controlling a different driver, and with all power levels hardwired by the manufacturer.

Likely that's fairly cheap and reliable, but you'd think something looking as visually nice as this light would have something more flexible in terms of power control.

I'd tend to disagree with the manufacturer's statement:
This combination is excellent for caving, giving you a wide spread light and a very powerful spotlight at the same time!
If being forced to run the spread and spot together at the same power is 'excellent', I can only say that the Scurion-like alternative of being able to control them independently and mix them is rather better than excellent, and the only other alternative (independent control, but only of one beam at once) is still going to be better for some users than having to have both on at the same power level.

A very powerful spotlight can often make a spread light look worse, rather than better, by providing a small patch of very bright light, making the surroundings look darker, and helping to burn out night vision.
Adding spread light to a bright spot certainly makes the spot less bad for general caving, but that's largely a reflection of how bad very powerful spot beams are for general caving - almost any change is an improvement.

Adding a little spot can sometimes improve a spread beam, but frequently the best mix is far from 1:1.

However, I suppose at some point, it may well be that some more sophisticated control is offered as an option.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the review Yucca Patrol linked to it shows this light running 2 x P7 at 350mA, 700mA and 1400mA so it seems there is some kind of output adjustment. I haven't looked at their website yet though.

This looks like it could be a winner. Beautiful flood beam running 2 x P7.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Well I just ordered my Serv-Light today. I chose to have it built with two P7's and an SSC P4.

I'll be powering it with a 3x18650 battery pack that I will waterproof by dipping it in liquid rubber/plastic used for tool handles.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
makes a good 2.5-3 hours of runtime (when the max current version is chosen)

sweet

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Most of the time, I won't be running it at the highest level, but it will sure be nice to light up the big rooms in the caves when I do.

I'm super excited, and it is going to drive me nuts as I wait for it to be built and shipped from Europe. . . .

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Just a quick update on the Serv-Light. The manufacturer is switching from SSC P7 to a Cree MC-E for the reflector spotlight and keeping the P7 for the floodlight.

I should have mine in the next few weeks and can't wait to test it out underground.. . .

gillestugan

Enlightened
Will you open it up?
I am very curious about what type of driver it uses.
I suspect it uses those linear AMC7135 drivers and only switches between the number of chips running. Given the facts: Max 4,5V battery voltage and 350mA, 700mA,1400mA settings.

Last edited:

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Given the specs, a 7135 or similar did seem like the likeliest explanation, especially if they do use different drivers for each power level.
It'd still only need 7 drivers in total, which would cost very little.

paulr

Flashaholic
I've never used a serious caving light but from what I understand about them, bomb-proofness is everything. The Fenix L2P handheld light is a good value for the amount of lumens you get, but AFAIK it doesn't attempt to have anything like the sealing or shock resistance of an HDS or Stenlight. Until one is actually tested, we don't know how this Serv-light fits in.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this available for purchase?

If so....where and how much does it cost.

Does anyone have one?...If so, what are your thoughts?:popcorn::popcorn::poke: