AN/VSS-1 Searchlight

ShortArc

Enlightened
Re: AN/VSS-1(V)2 Searchlight

Connectors: I thought I mentioned it before but www.newark.com or www.powell.com are two sources.
IR: I heard the lights being called "Pink Eye" and the troops were not all that happy about it either!

Larry, love those pics…just don't turn them against each other…that could be trouble or melt down!

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Willem,

140+ amps is a reasonably high current draw... :D

Let's see, using 3700 mAh sub C cells, if you put together a 24S45P pack you could probably get an hour of run time... With a 100 amp charger you could charge it back up in around 3 hours.

Do you think you can bounce a beam off the reflectors on the moon?

Impressive.

Tom

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

Willem, do yoy have Newark's cat# for the control box mating connector? The MS number is a bust on the Newark and Amphenol search functions. (Powell's price seems a little high, as Newark lists a 22 shell for ~$13. It's gold on ITT/Canon's site and in stock a couple of places I've never heard of. Also, that number seems to be the connector without the cable clamp. I understand CarbonArc's consternation. Specifying those things can be a PITA. :D

Larry

Last edited:

ShortArc

Enlightened

Let me confirm tomorrow but this is a cut and paste from my quote:ITEM DETAILS:
-------------
Newark InOne Part #:86H3031; MIL SPEC:MIL-C-5015 A/B/C; BODY MATERIAL:METAL; SERIES:MS3106A; INSERT ARRANGEMENT:22-23; NUMBER OF CONTACTS:8; CONNECTOR SHELL SIZE:22; CONNECTOR TYPE:INDUSTRIAL CIRCULAR CONNECTOR; CONNECTING TERMINATION:SOLDER
Quantity: 1 @ $45.780 = $45.78

ITEM DETAILS:
-------------
Newark InOne Part #:96J7137; MIL SPEC:MIL-C-5015 E/F/R; BODY MATERIAL:METAL; SERIES:MS3100E; INSERT ARRANGEMENT:32-15; NUMBER OF CONTACTS:8; CONNECTOR SHELL SIZE:32; CONNECTOR TYPE:INDUSTRIAL CIRCULAR CONNECTOR; CONNECTING TERMINATION:SOLDER
Quantity: 1 @ $67.920 = $67.92

ORDER TOTAL:
-------------
$113.70
Tax and Freight will be shown on the invoice, if applicable.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

:bow: ShortArc and thank you Sir! I would have had to wait until the replacement control box arrived to "build" the cat# from Newark. (I didn't know it was 8-pin. until you posted your control box pic.) If it is out of stock, I will get it from Powell for $6 more, :D
Edit: Newark's site says out of stock- lead time 89 days! (Why I favor Digikey! :rant:)

Thank you again, Sir!

Larry

Last edited:

ShortArc

Enlightened

Here is a link to a useful PDF, explaining Amphenol nomenclature a little better.

When ever possible I try and use E or F series connectors.

http://www.amphenol-socapex.com/pdf/MIL-C-5015%20Rear%20release.pdf

Also don't be surprised if the connectors come with parts missing (pins, strain relief, etc)

Almost no supplier stocks these and inventory usually refers to Amphenol's. Lead times for non-stocked parts reflect build time and are usually expedited a lot quicker. It may not be a bad idea to call your regional Ampenol Rep and get specifics on lead time.

Cheers.

ShortArc

Enlightened

Might as well complete my post by adding a few pictures of the power supply.

The first picture shows a 60A/28VDC linear power supply weighing roughly 90lbs. On the right is a 150A/28VDC switching power supply (weighing 25lbs) used with the VSS1. The rest of the shots just show the modification to it.

RectifierandMilPowerSup.jpg

RectifierBack.jpg

RectifierModFront.jpg

RectifierModBack.jpg

jtice

Flashaholic

This thread boggles my mind! :eek:oo:

These things look super cool !!!!!
Too bad they weigh so much, just that light itself weighs 200 lbs??? wow

The $600 for it seems like a steal, but it seems you will have another $600 just to power it. :p

Cant wait to see more updates!!! Keep the pics comming pleeeease!

~John

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

Armed with ShortArc's info for the control box mating connector. I quickly found Mouser and Digikey don't list it with the other Amphenol 97-3106 stuff. Allied listed it for $32.02, but came up "backorder" on the cart. On a whim a called their CS and the shells and inserts are in stock! :D The "backorder" is because they have to assemble it, and she said it would ship today.

Connector: Allied Electronics cat# 605-4100 $32.02
Cable clamp: " " " 714-2564 ~$6.50

And I got a 200A 24vdc SPST N.O. relay for $44.15 (cat# 576-1079)

I should have the control box and connector by the end of the week to verify everything. The replacement lamp I ordered off ebay arrived today. I may post a pic. (Sucker's over a foot long!)

Larry

Last edited:

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

In Peak Beam Sys's sale thread for the lights, Robert mentioned some would be held as spare parts cows. I wisecracked "how much for a spare lamp" and :bow: lotsalumens posted an ebay link which I jumped on. It arrived today. I have been unable to find any info on servicing the internals of the searchlight so far. No clue as to the P/N for the lamp or its change procedure. The lamp came in a black cardboard tube with telescopic ends. The battered side label instructions, if followed would eliminate the possibility of some one touching it during replacement:
site1058.JPG

The upper end of the lamp has a pivoting , 2-finger bail that could permit it to be carried like an Osram lantern. :green: There are two large foam rubber rings that I assume are displaced for discard during lamp insertion. The arc gap looks to be 3/16-1/4" :faint: The acceptance tag has a date of 3/3/64! It was made by the Hanovia Div. of Engelhard Industries in NJ. There is no outer glass UV shield, and if the voltage specs on the ebay post are correct, it is overdriven at the "stock" 28vdc!
site1059.JPG

(I suspect Mr TB is exhibiting some antisocial behaviour at this point. :green: :D )

Larry

BVH

Flashaholic

Larry, do I dare say that you may have just found the "better flashlight" (your sig line) that might enable you to find your happy a** with both hands?

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

When I got the field test USL, I commented I would have to be veery careful in that never-ending endeavor! :D The front end of this thing ain't gonna get anywhere near my unadorned/otherwise a**! :crackup: :D

Larry

CarbonArc

Newly Enlightened

Well here is an update.

I have purchased the AN/VSS-1(V) 2 and have also purchased a 3kw 107A government generator. I plan on using the generator in parallel with a series of batteries to provide the light with enough amperage when I kick it into over drive (however I do not know how much I will be really using overdrive seeing as the mode only lasts about 17 seconds) in my circuit design so far I have 3 solenoid relays designed into the system (one for the power from the generator) (one for the battery power) (one to charge the batteries when needed) the third has an auto sensing charging feature. Hopefully if my parts come in I will be able to finish the circuit by the weekend.

As for mounting I am designing a turret out of steel. It works on a similar concept to a merry-go round. I have a 3" o.d. steel pipe sliding into a 3" id pipe. (both sch. 40) I will cap the inside pipe. Put some bearings on top grease it up and slide the other pipe on top (after it is also capped). The bottom pipe will be welded to a 15"x15" steel plate with gussets. The light will most likely be welded onto some sort of moveable platform on top of this assembly (I haven't worked out the details for this yet).

I didn't mention before but this whole setup will be mounted on a trailer so it will be "portable"

Hopefully I will have some time to get some photos up here soon. (like tonight or tommorow)

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

The cable and control box arrived today. Anybody notice this:

site1060.JPG

Yup, glow-in-the-dark!

My light is devoid of any manufacturer's mark. I've been curious as to who made the things. The control box has a label that says Varo, Inc. Garland, Texas and another which says Overhauled Tobyhanna Army Depot Date 10-80. The light itself has a label saying overhauled Tobyhanna Depot 3-85. A google of Varo, Inc. reveals they became VHC/IMO and were bought by Litton Industries in '95, now Northrup Grumman. There were a bunch of divisions and the search was very confusing.

Larry

Last edited:

ShortArc

Enlightened

I fear I may have a wiring problem or faulty control box or something else…it would explain my not being able to shut down the light.

Could someone check power on the pins of the control box?

I used a 12DC power source on pin A(+) and G(-). This is which pins I found to be hot in the different modes:

1. OFF POS
IR Wide: D
IR Focus: "none"
VIS Wide: E, D
VIS Focus: "none"

2.STANDBY
IR Wide: D,C,B
VIS Wide: E,D,C,B

3.ON
IR Wide: F,D,C,B
VIS Wide: E,F,D,C,B

Thanks,
Willem.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

Hi Willem,

The scheme Robert at Peak Beam faxed me shows +28V should be supplied to pin D on the control box by pinD on the searchlight:
site1107.jpg

Larry

ShortArc

Enlightened

Larry,
That really helps. I did not have that information so I just matched pin for pin.
Willem.