And...The 3-stage L0P mod!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
EngrPaul said:
Maybe you should name it "L0P-SE". :rock:

aah, no matter mate, my driver is still the best single cell driver to be found anywhere. Also the MM 3-stage L0P doesn't use non-filtered PWM on the low stage outputs and the high drive is second to none. Those who have one of my 3-stage L0P's have something no one else can buy new anymore. I hated building the MM L0P 3, it was sooo time consuming, but it was fun at first anyways.

Amadeus93

Newly Enlightened
MillerMods said:
aah, no matter mate, my driver is still the best single cell driver to be found anywhere. Also the MM 3-stage L0P doesn't use non-filtered PWM on the low stage outputs and the high drive is second to none. Those who have one of my 3-stage L0P's have something no one else can buy new anymore. I hated building the MM L0P 3, it was sooo time consuming, but it was fun at first anyways.
What is "non-filtered PWM", and how is it different from filtered PWM?

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amadeus93 said:
What is "non-filtered PWM", and how is it different from filtered PWM?

All switchers use either PWM or PFM but when a PIC is used, the output is chopped up and there is off time with it's PWM operation. If you drop a switcher out of regulation though, the duty cycle drops and the output drops but it's still filtered with the output capacitor.

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
Dang, I saw this thread come to life and thought Eric had changed his mind about doing more of these. I have one I bought from quad 7 and absolutely love it. Great job Eric.

Engineer Paul. There is an L0P-se directly from Fenix. It uses a completely different scheme for the three level control and LED drive. It's no where nearly as good as the MM L0P IMHO though.

BobbyRS

Enlightened
Eric, how well do you think your MM L0P 3 will stack up to the soon to come L0D CE? Especially in terms of max brightness.

Also, since we are on the subject, how about the same opinion on the MM L1P 1.7 compared to the L1D CE.

I am really interested in comparing the rechargeable 10440 and 14500 Li-Ions usage in all of them. That of course is assuming they still allow for them in the L0D CE. It looks like the L1D CE will take a 14500. Hopefully it won't lose the stages when doing so though.

As for the L1D CE, you modded a L1P for me about a year ago (and it is awesome by the way... still!) with a UX1L. It is crazy bright when using the 14500. The 14500 is what I use with it most of the time. I also use the MM L0P 3 you modded for me as well. Over the past year, I have used the MM L0P 3 more often and use the MM L1P 1.7 when outside or need max light. I am wondering if modding the current MM lights I have now with a Cree would be more beneficial to me then just buying the CE modules of the L0D and L1D. Usually max brightness is more important to me then runtime. Although I like the stages on the L1D which I do not have on my MM L1P 1.7..... Anyway, any information to help me is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
BobbyRS said:
Eric, how well do you think your MM L0P 3 will stack up to the soon to come L0D CE? Especially in terms of max brightness.

I would wait for the Fenix Cree versions to be released, rather than mod the Lux versions. The reflector would have to be replaced in the old L0P and I don't have a good replacement for it. The MM L1P 1.7 can be upgraded for $40 because the reflector (stipple McR-18) is $15 alone.

BobbyRS

Enlightened
That's too bad. Due to your driver for the L0P and its non-filtered PWM on the low stage outputs, I would much rather use it then what the L0D CE will come with.... or should I say without:)

$40 for the upgrade..... Yeah I would have to wait and see what the L1D CE is capable of and maybe see a direct comparison to a Cree upgraded MM L1x special.... assuming you will be trying one
smile.gif

I really hope they continue the usage of a 10440 Li-ion for the L0D CE module. If not, it will be interesting the see the comparison between a 10440 Li-ion capable L0D versus a L0D CE that is not.

Thanks again for the input!

Dr_Joe

Enlightened
The MM L0P Rocks :bow: :rock:

I liked my first one so much, that when I found out Eric wasn't going to make them anymore, I scrambled to get my hands on 2 more.

I sacrificed one to a friend (one of our CPF colleagues) and he had the misfortune of losing it :twak: :whoopin: :mecry:

It broke my heart.
Never again !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.