Another Malkoff Question

intake_monk

Newly Enlightened
Thank you man! I think i'm leaning toward the HOT V2.. Were you able to order it with the crenulated bezel? I saw the tri-cap option, but not the bezel on the order page.
Hi Sleeves,

No worries. I'm a little over a month into this Malkoff journey myself and honestly would have made different (and fewer) purchases if I had the knowledge I have now - and hopefully it can save you a little bit of $$. They didn't have the crenelated bezel option, I bought it and the wrench separately. I read in the questions for the E series bezel that if you buy the bezel and the head, you can email Cathy and ask her to change it so you don't need to buy the wrench. I'm not sure if that offer applies for the MDX heads, but it can't hurt. Also, I probably would have still gotten the M61HotV2 but the head only, the MD21700 body and not bothered with the smaller MD2 body, the tricap, the SHO, nor the switchback.

Side note, I also bought the HOG switchback since its for the 21700 Modlite HOG , but that won't fit without dremeling material, and it might be too heavy to use as intended anyway, so I'm not going to bother for now. Had I followed that path, I probably would have picked up the 18650 Hound Dog next.

EDIT: Forgot to say, the Hi-Lo switch for the M61HOT is ABSOLUTELY worth buying. the variance is the difference between blinding brightness in the dark, and having a nice little night light on the way to the bathroom. I find myself searching with it on low preferentially at night and only switching to high when I need to light something in the shadows during the day.

intake_monk

Newly Enlightened
The SHO and HOT most likely share the exact same driver. The SHO is practically an M61 with the HOT driver. SHO has an orange peel reflector but a nice throwy SST-20. HOT has a TIR optic and will have "twice" the throw of the HOT based on double the candela — at least in a lab setting.

The heat felt with the SHO and HOT should be nearly the same as the drivers are the same and overall output are the same. Heat is unused energy that is not converted into light. Or Heat is from a battery over discharging.
Thanks Kerneldrop that's good to know. It's entirely possible I'm imagining it, or it's the increased mass from the crenelated bezel I have on my HOT just making it feel cooler.

Sleeves

Newly Enlightened
Hi Sleeves,

No worries. I'm a little over a month into this Malkoff journey myself and honestly would have made different (and fewer) purchases if I had the knowledge I have now - and hopefully it can save you a little bit of $$. They didn't have the crenelated bezel option, I bought it and the wrench separately. I read in the questions for the E series bezel that if you buy the bezel and the head, you can email Cathy and ask her to change it so you don't need to buy the wrench. I'm not sure if that offer applies for the MDX heads, but it can't hurt. Also, I probably would have still gotten the M61HotV2 but the head only, the MD21700 body and not bothered with the smaller MD2 body, the tricap, the SHO, nor the switchback.

Side note, I also bought the HOG switchback since its for the 21700 Modlite HOG , but that won't fit without dremeling material, and it might be too heavy to use as intended anyway, so I'm not going to bother for now. Had I followed that path, I probably would have picked up the 18650 Hound Dog next.

EDIT: Forgot to say, the Hi-Lo switch for the M61HOT is ABSOLUTELY worth buying. the variance is the difference between blinding brightness in the dark, and having a nice little night light on the way to the bathroom. I find myself searching with it on low preferentially at night and only switching to high when I need to light something in the shadows during the day.
Awesome thank you. Yeah, can't hurt to ask about the bezel. I didn't realize the M61 HOT V2 would fit on the 21700 body. For some reason, I thought it wouldn't. Good to know. I have a few switchbacks, but was leaning more toward a standard pocket clip for this light in particular. The Fenix seems like a good option, unfortunately looks like the cloud defense clip wouldn't fit 21700, but should fit the MD2. Decisions decisions..

I sincerely appreciate the feedback though, it's going to save me both time and $ for sure.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ebay
Screenshot 2023-10-05 234905.jpg

g8trwood

Newly Enlightened
Any takes on the Malkoff variants for hiking? Currently using one of their droppins with a single 16650 in an old 6p. Was contemplating a 21700 for run time. Always like a good hotspot thrower with a bit of spill.