Maglite bulb / socket question

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Maybe one of you guys who are familiar with the stock Maglite bulbs can help me figure something out. I got a few new 2D Mags when Maglite had the 40% off sale. They have the bi-pin bulb.

I had a few of the LED upgrade emitters (pictured below) that I usually use from ebay to hop up my old Mags that came with original glass bulbs, and they always work well.

So, when I removed the bi-pin bulb and ejected the socket, my replacement won't go in because the LED holds the threaded collar up too high to catch the threads on the switch assembly, so I can't tighten it down.

Is there something that I'm missing? Are the switches that take the bi-pin sockets different, or is there a way I can make it work? Matt from Lumencraft has the Firefly emitter that has built in threads, where you don't need the collar, but I'm not sure yet if it will fit through the 15mm hole in the aluminum reflectors that I use. I emailed him about it but haven't heard back yet.

If possible, it would be nice to use this one I already have.

Please let me know if any of you Mag guys are familiar with this situation and setup. Thanks!

LED.jpeg

Matt's Firefly LED below:

LED 2.png

LED 3.png

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
bipins use different collar, it even comes with adapter, switch is the same, but collar is not, you need original collar used with inc bulbs.

you could enlarge the hole, it should work then,

Attachments

• IMG_6718.JPG
    IMG_6718.JPG
    351.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Ahh, thanks @alpg88! I have plenty of old style collars. Didn't think to compare them. Will let you know if I get it going.
I don't expect it to be overly bright with just two cells, but just trying to make it usable. Dang, that bi-pin bulb is lame.

It's a nice midnight blue that I got for 40% off, and I already had extra LED, alum reflector, NiMH cells and glass lens, and I have a real pretty patterned dark & light blue paracord that I may do a handle wrap with. Should make a cool spare vehicle or workbench light.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Yep, got it mounted up with an old style collar that I had. Both collars fit over the emitter, but the old one is threaded further down to where it would catch the bulb holder and make a few good turns to tighten up.

Got a 4C and the blue 2D upgraded. Turned out very well. Got the heads perfectly calibrated to the full focused tight hot spot when the heads are fully tightened. Will post some pics later.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yep, got it mounted up with an old style collar that I had. Both collars fit over the emitter, but the old one is threaded further down to where it would catch the bulb holder and make a few good turns to tighten up.

Got a 4C and the blue 2D upgraded. Turned out very well. Got the heads perfectly calibrated to the full focused tight hot spot when the heads are fully tightened. Will post some pics later.
I went the opposite route with a 4C that came with a bi-pin and I wanted to use a krypyon. I discovered the bi-pin adapter slips through the old collar version when I tried to put it back to stock. And the kryton bulb won't go through the bi-pin collar.
All of my LED convereted (minus the one with the old version Malkoff drop in) have the old style collar as those began as kryton bulb lights.

rrego

Enlightened
That 3C and 2D are sick!

Really like the high quality look the AR lenses give the lights and the LOP reflectors. Brings a smile to the face, doesn't it :^)

I also have a 3C and 2D Mags with AR lenses and AL reflectors, with the following set ups:
3C is the binpin style, but I swapped the stock 3C bulb for a TadCustoms 7212 bulb (the Tad bulb pins are long enough to make proper contact). It's a very nice upgrade running on two 18650GA protected cells.

2D is the PR based bulb, running a Pelican ROP High bulb on two 18650GA non-protected cells. Damn, that thing is so awesome to play with. It's a wall of light.

rrego

Enlightened
What are the brands of those drop-ins? What are the outputs for each of those drop ins?

I have many Mag hosts that I don't use since I'm spoiled with the hotwire set ups but since those are "once in a while" type lights, having a couple with these kind of drop ins would be perfect for long term storage in car and etc.

I like the look of the drop-in in the 3C.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
What are the brands of those drop-ins? What are the outputs for each of those drop ins?
I believe those are Cree emitters. I got several from ebay a while ago for around $16 to $18 each. They're rated for around 200 to 300 lumens depending on how many cells you're using.

That is actually a 4C. I also have quite a few 2C and 3C that I converted in the same way, and yes, they make great lights to carry in the vehicle. I keep Low Self Drain NiMH cells in them, and they'll stay charged up for 6 months to a year, depending on how much you use the light.

For one of my 2Ds, I got the 5000 lumen upgrade from Matt at Lumencraft. It runs on two 26650 Li-Ion cells and is a wall of flood light. He still sells the kit, but it's 3500 lumens now because of emitter availability. Still well worth it.

I mostly carry modern, more versatile lights, but those old Mags are so dependable, it's well worth upgrading them, in my opinion.

That 3C and 2D are sick!
Thanks. More photos of them in my other Maglite thread:

rrego

Enlightened
I believe those are Cree emitters. I got several from ebay a while ago for around $16 to $18 each. They're rated for around 200 to 300 lumens depending on how many cells you're using.

That is actually a 4C. I also have quite a few 2C and 3C that I converted in the same way, and yes, they make great lights to carry in the vehicle. I keep Low Self Drain NiMH cells in them, and they'll stay charged up for 6 months to a year, depending on how much you use the light.

For one of my 2Ds, I got the 5000 lumen upgrade from Matt at Lumencraft. It runs on two 26650 Li-Ion cells and is a wall of flood light. He still sells the kit, but it's 3500 lumens now because of emitter availability. Still well worth it.

I mostly carry modern, more versatile lights, but those old Mags are so dependable, it's well worth upgrading them, in my opinion.

Thanks. More photos of them in my other Maglite thread:

Thanks for the info on the drop ins. Yes, I remember that 5000 lumen drop in :). I believe the maker posted a YouTube video about it years ago.

Thanks for the info on your other thread. I also came upon it and saw your other pics there 😁