USA INCANDESCENT BULB BAN question.

No, wouldn't be prudent.

Image 8-8-23 at 6.05 PM.jpg

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Don't need a government ban to make finding incandescent bulbs difficult. I have numerous lights I haven't used in over a decade because replacement bulbs are literally impossible to find. They make interesting-looking paper-weights though.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Don't need a government ban to make finding incandescent bulbs difficult. I have numerous lights I haven't used in over a decade because replacement bulbs are literally impossible to find. They make interesting-looking paper-weights though.
That is my fear.
The market decided more than a decade ago that it preferred LED. Bulb formfactors that have enough embedded base will remain so long as there's a market to sell to, but development has largely wound down.

The time to make that lifetime buy of anything obscure was 10+ years ago. The time to do the same for more commodity formfactors (minimag, PR, SF P*, various G3/G4 bulbs, anything bi-pin you think you'll ever want) is probably approaching if not already now.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
👆agreed
I remember in late 016 iirc a batch of 6P lights hit the eBay market from about 2009 (based on the batteries expiring in 2019) by the hundreds. For a few weeks they could be found for less than $35. I paid $25 for some. But after a while they were $45, then $50+. The P60 could be had $5 each. Numerous seller sold in batches of 10 for like $30. They were often labeled "pulled". Pulled from what I do not know but sellers there at eBay had hundreds. Even Laser Products versions. Maglite xenon PR based bulbs, bi-pin Carly's, you name it. It seemed as though folks sitting on stockpiles were wanting to unload them while the rapidly falling demand was still there. The LED had reached 500 lumens and the lumen wars was just heating up good. If you didn't stock up then you missed a great opportunity.

Now? Heck even 2D incan Maglites are fetching $50 and good luck finding a nip 4C. By 2019 the supply had dried up considerably. The P60 light market was also drying up too. Lumens Factory keeps it alive, along with E lights. (Thank you Mark). No ban was needed. At least for the flashlight market anyway.