Another possible Mag mod

The_Police

Enlightened
Hello, I was considering modding another Maglite, I wanted to get the 5 CREE drop-in from DX http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.35241 and is this true that you have to do some grinding on it to make it fit a Mag head? if so how much?
As for the Maglite, I have another 2D laying around, to make it worth modding I probably need to get some D-sized AA battery holders (like these http://www.uxcell.com/2pcs-battery-cell-converter-adaptor-holder-p-34633.html ) to bump up the voltage to 6 volts. correct?
Or I was considering buying a 3D Mag, because then I can use the AA holders and put a regular D battery in with them to make it 7.5 volts, which is almost the Max voltage for this drop-in.

If you have a better way to make this setup, please tell me, I will gladly change it for the better. :D (still new at this) lol

junglewarrior

Newly Enlightened

The_Police

Enlightened
How did you find that? :thinking:

That light looks awesome. Gotta wonder how far those buildings were?

Maybe they were really small cardboard cut-outs painted to look like a building...

I ordered one of these modules about a week ago and can't wait now for it turn up! Feel like a kid waiting for christmas.

lmao, that would be funny. that is one of the best quotes i've heard today. :D

Bigrigatoni

Newly Enlightened
I have another 2D laying around said:
http://www.uxcell.com/2pcs-battery-cell-converter-adaptor-holder-p-34633.html[/URL] ) to bump up the voltage to 6 volts. correct?

Hey "The Police". I think that D to AA adapter is in parallel. Wouldn't you need a battery carriage that's wired in series to increase the voltage? That 5X cree head does look impressive.

The_Police

Enlightened
Hey "The Police". I think that D to AA adapter is in parallel. Wouldn't you need a battery carriage that's wired in series to increase the voltage? That 5X cree head does look impressive.

couldn't I just put the batteries in it in opposite directions?

StackNZ

Newly Enlightened
No you can't.

Anyways, read my thread: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/281096

I squeezed it into a 6C with a thicker glass lens as well.

Most of the grinding I did was on the maglite, the tube had to be widened on the maglite, but that won't be a problem with a D sized maglite.

The smallest 2 cooling fins were cut off with a dremel then grinded down flush, and where the bezel screws onto the head, the threads were grinded down to accomodate the thick bezel of the drop-in and the thicker lens I had.

The_Police

Enlightened
would it work better if I got a 5 D cell Mag then?? I want to stick with something that uses D or AA batteries. Unless I can find some AA to D adapters that are wired in a series. I have a cousin that will sell me a 3 D Mag, then i could still use 2 adapters and a D cell to make 7.5 volts

ttwhin

Newly Enlightened
Better not mix different battery sizes.
You don't need to hit upper voltage specification for the driver in drop-in, it have regulated output.
With the Mag 3D you can use 3 alkaline D size, but i think it will not give you full power. Drop-in pull 4,4 A at 4,5V which alkaline can not deliver i believe?

Why not use 3 D NiMh rechargeable or a Mag-charger battery stick which also fit a 3D and put in alkaline when you see need for longer run-time?

If that is not good enough then you should aim for the 5 D Mag, the alkaline need to deliver 2,6 Ampere at 7,5V. Anyone tested D size alkalines max Amp draw that can chime in? :anyone:

Last edited:

junglewarrior

Newly Enlightened
So if AA's are put in a parallel adaptor they still only put out 1.5v, even though there are 2?

I assumed it would double the voltage to 3v?

c o n f u s e d . o r g

junglewarrior

Newly Enlightened
The police; Have you ordered this yet?

I ordered mine on 1 aug 2010 and they are still awaiting supplier.

I have asked them about the single mode as well and thats the same status, I was going to swap my order for that instead.

I have a 4d, alkalines would power that to 6v, would that deliver enough amps to power it properly? I want to getb the most out of it without risking it going :poof:

OCD

Enlightened
So if AA's are put in a parallel adaptor they still only put out 1.5v, even though there are 2?

I assumed it would double the voltage to 3v?

c o n f u s e d . o r g

If using two 1.5V AA's, when in parallel, the voltage remains the same (1.5V) and the capacity doubles.

When in series, the voltage doubles (to 3.0V) and the capacity stays the same.

Anyone please feel free to elaborate on this as necessary.

Last edited:

The_Police

Enlightened
The police; Have you ordered this yet?

I ordered mine on 1 aug 2010 and they are still awaiting supplier.

I have asked them about the single mode as well and thats the same status, I was going to swap my order for that instead.

I have a 4d, alkalines would power that to 6v, would that deliver enough amps to power it properly? I want to getb the most out of it without risking it going :poof:

no, i haven't ordered it yet, i'm still working on getting this all planned out. I'm really not sure how many amps this module can take.

The_Police

Enlightened
Better not mix different battery sizes.
You don't need to hit upper voltage specification for the driver in drop-in, it have regulated output.
With the Mag 3D you can use 3 alkaline D size, but i think it will not give you full power. Drop-in pull 4,4 A at 4,5V which alkaline can not deliver i believe?

Why not use 3 D NiMh rechargeable or a Mag-charger battery stick which also fit a 3D and put in alkaline when you see need for longer run-time?

If that is not good enough then you should aim for the 5 D Mag, the alkaline need to deliver 2,6 Ampere at 7,5V. Anyone tested D size alkalines max Amp pull that can chime in? :anyone:

I have some NI-MH 2500 mAh rechargeable D batteries if they would supply enough amps?

let me get this straight, the higher mAh a battery has, means the more electrons there are to supply power. correct?
so then when an LED driver has an amperage limit, that means that the batteries can only have an amperage lower than the driver... someone please correct me if i have anything wrong here :D

ttwhin

Newly Enlightened
I'm really not sure how many amps this module can take.
It take only what it need, if source (battery) can deliver.
If source can not deliver enough current (A), it get less.

'If source can not hold voltage at a level and drop, driver will try to compensate and try to pull more current (Amp) to deliver the xx watt of power (light).
It have total 20 watt of power (driver+ led) :twothumbs

ttwhin

Newly Enlightened
I have some NI-MH 2500 mAh rechargeable D batteries if they would supply enough amps?

I belive so. Maybe other should answer that have more experience with testing, but i have seen here at CPF they draw up to 10 A from Ni-Mh batteries.

let me get this straight, the higher mAh a battery has, means the more electrons there are to supply power. correct?
so then when an LED driver has an amperage limit, that means that the batteries can only have an amperage lower than the driver... someone please correct me if i have anything wrong here :D

No, at the last statement. Battery can have as high mAh rating as it want :)

mAh is a therm of mili-ampere-hour (capasity), in this case this battery can deliver 2500 miliAmpere for 1 hour at stated voltage that is here 1,2V. Or simpler 2,5A in 1 full hour before it empty.
In an example you can drain the battery 5 A in an half hour (then empty).

Maximum Amp the battery can deliver at the moment is another question, make a search here at CPF and see what Amp they can drain Ni-Mh. It differ from brand to brand and size to size.

Last edited: