Another possible Mag mod

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
To fit 6AA into a 2D use one of these adapters made by mdocod

This will give you the 7.2V you require in a 2D maglite, solder the DX 5 LED module/dropin directly to the mag switch after cutting off the tower and you're done. :twothumbs

I'm thinking of making one now!:D

The_Police

Enlightened
I'm finding out that this isn't going to be cheap if do this... seems how I just bough a $74 Fenix, I can't spend another ~$70 for a flashlight... :(
maybe i can do this in the future when I have more money to spend :D

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes it will cost you a few $, but it would be much more powerful than a $70 light you could buy ! For the same output you would need to spend a lot more money, That's the fun of modding!

But you've done the right thing by costing it out and seeing if you can afford it. Why not put a wanted ad up for the parts, someone on here might have an adaptor laying around that's not being used? Or maybe a wanted as for seconhand modding parts?

The_Police

Enlightened
Yes it will cost you a few $, but it would be much more powerful than a $70 light you could buy ! For the same output you would need to spend a lot more money, That's the fun of modding!

But you've done the right thing by costing it out and seeing if you can afford it. Why not put a wanted ad up for the parts, someone on here might have an adaptor laying around that's not being used? Or maybe a wanted as for seconhand modding parts?

yeah, would I put that in the marketplace?? that would be great if i could get some used parts(that work) cheaper than buying all new ones.

ttwhin

Newly Enlightened
cheaper than buying all new ones.

Have a look at this http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=2723

Worthy to try at that prize.
You can use 5 AA alkalines or Ni-Mh in 2 holders for your 2 D Mag (if you go for that one). Just solder a wire in the one empty AA space. And pherhaps do some resistance improvement.

I did a test on the 5* R2 Module from DX on full with with freshly charged 3, 4 and 5 NiMh batteries .

3 in series 4,35 Volt, draw 2,2A = 9,5W
4 in series 5,70 Volt, draw 4,0A = 22W
5 in series 7,22 Volt, draw 2,5A = 18W

Driver in the module seems to dislike lower voltage (lower output), even its stated minimum 2,6 Volt on DX page

Last edited:

The_Police

Enlightened
wow! those are WAY cheaper than all the others... lol i wonder if they are chinxy and brittle... they would work though

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow! those are WAY cheaper than all the others... lol i wonder if they are chinxy and brittle... they would work though

Those KD 3AA to D adaptors will work. But they are cheap for a reason.:rolleyes:

I've used them before, but it's best to take them apart and solder all the spings to the contacts, then re assemble.

The_Police

Enlightened
Those KD 3AA to D adaptors will work. But they are cheap for a reason.:rolleyes:

I've used them before, but it's best to take them apart and solder all the spings to the contacts, then re assemble.

sounds alright, better than paying $30+ for some :D