Another Recomendation Thread

droopy170

Newly Enlightened
I am an Paramedic for my county EMS. Light will be for EDC and work (got big backups available on the ambulance if needed). Got my choices down to a couple of lights. Nitecore D-10(GDP) or Lumapower Connexion. Leaning towards the Nitecore as I like the UI options. Also need lots of help in the rechargable battery selection. Thinking the AW-139 on 4sevens site (ie the D-10 combo) or eneloops with the included charger. Definately need battery suggestions. The more I read about batteries the more confused I get. Apprecitate any help offered.

droopy

rockz4532

Enlightened
well if your a EMS person, you wont want to fidget with the modes on the d10 but if you can handle it get the 14500s, also the nitecore has been known for "hot pockets" ie. they turn on in your pocket

lightinsky

Enlightened
First do you have a budget you are trying to stay in?
Second do you want something with adjustable light output?
Third Surefire has some great options you may want to look at too.

droopy170

Newly Enlightened
~$60.00 for light and ~ $40.00 for chargers and batteries, looking to keep the total around $100.00. I've looked at Surefires (owned a couple in the past as well as a few ARCs long ago) and pretty much ruled them out. I do want to have the adjustable output.

droopy

snakyjake

Enlightened
well if your a EMS person, you wont want to fidget with the modes on the d10 but if you can handle it get the 14500s, also the nitecore has been known for "hot pockets" ie. they turn on in your pocket

+1

You may also want to consider the Fenix L1Tv2.

droopy170

Newly Enlightened

After watching video and reading reviews, UI seems pretty straight foward to navigate. Any particular 14500s and charger combo?

Newly Enlightened
With any flashlight that cannot be locked out there is the possibility it can go on in your pocket.

With this in mind it is good insurance to use your flashlight so it it will always turn on in the lowest setting.

The D10 head can be loosened so the switch works as a momentary, so if you are worried about it turning on in your pocket you have an option to prevent it.

Any flashlight UI is a personal preference, I've read quite a few digs against the D10/EX10 UI as if it has a fundamental flaw, the problem lies with a user who doesn't like their flashlight but continues to use it and then complains that it isn't to their liking. There are hundreds of options out there and sometimes it takes buying a few lights to find one you like.

You can't go wrong with the D10, it is hard to beat for it's quality and features at that price point.

ThatGuyBri

Newly Enlightened
+1 for the Fenix L1Tv2. I've grown to like the holster they come with.
This looks like a good deal for a charger + batteries:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=186012
This is a good charger especially at that price. I don't know how the batteries compare to other brands but they work for me. I don't know anything about the seller.

My guess is that you're considering AA lights in order to use alkaline batteries if your rechargeables run out. One thing to note is alkaline AAs are cheap but they aren't good for high current flashlights or storing in extreme temperatures (hot or cold). They leak, etc.

There are two RCR123a / CR123a lights worth checking out:
1) http://www.light-reviews.com/liteflux_lf3_xt/
Looks interesting / Should start shipping soon.
2) The Dereelight C2H
It is getting mostly positive feedback. There is a thread that discusses it.

I also have one AW RCR123A ($7) and a nano charger ($7.50) that I use for my EDC. I also have a stash of CR123a ($1.40 ea) but I haven't needed them yet.

Cheapskate

Enlightened
Check out the Nitecore Defender Infinity. Adjustable output of one of two levels which can be easily selected via a twist of the head. Conventional switch and tail so it can be locked out but I have never had mine come on accidentally anyway. Forward clicky which is good if you only need light for a second or two.

droopy170

Newly Enlightened
Check out the Nitecore Defender Infinity. Adjustable output of one of two levels which can be easily selected via a twist of the head. Conventional switch and tail so it can be locked out but I have never had mine come on accidentally anyway. Forward clicky which is good if you only need light for a second or two.

Just a bit more $ than I wanted. Is it much better than the D-10?

Cheapskate

Enlightened
Just a bit more $ than I wanted. Is it much better than the D-10?

I can't answer that from experience as I do not have a D10 to compare it to. Going on what I have read, I wouldn't say it was 'better', just different in that it has a different switching method and UI.

rockz4532

Enlightened
if you can, get the AW brand liions, get the protected ones. these batteries are highly rated by CPF'ers. you can get them at 4sevens and lighthound. also the liions might cause the L1t to lose its low mode or burn its driver, but dont have one so im not sure, as the AW's are 3.7v instead of 1.5v
edit: i dont recal nano having a charger for 14500s, but iirc the AW aw-139 charges 14500's
edit again: whoops didnt see that you already had the aw 139 on the OP

Last edited:

droopy170

Newly Enlightened
I can't answer that from experience as I do not have a D10 to compare it to. Going on what I have read, I wouldn't say it was 'better', just different in that it has a different switching method and UI.

Did some more research and I am kind of torn between the NDI (looks) and the D-10 (UI). Guess eventually I'll get both. I think I am going to start with the D-10 due to the UI, and the available pocket clip.

droopy

snakyjake

Enlightened
Did some more research and I am kind of torn between the NDI (looks) and the D-10 (UI). Guess eventually I'll get both. I think I am going to start with the D-10 due to the UI, and the available pocket clip.

droopy

Compare the NDI's size, and the ragged self-gouging (defensive) bezel. Also compare the switch mechanism. And compare the UI.

I have the EX10 and believe my opinion applies to the D10.

For the EX10/D10:
The piston switch is awesome.
The size and form factor is awesome.

For the NDI:
UI is better than the EX10/D10. I don't like losing my user programmed/memory output. Won't have that problem with NDI.
I don't think I would like the "prongs" on the bezel to snag on my pocket.

I would have tried the NDI over the EX10 if the bezel was different and didn't have the "prongs". Then it would be the size that would be the deciding factor.

The UI on the EX10/D10 won't be an issues if you like highest high and the lowest low. Only an issue if you set the memory via ramping.

Jake

droopy170

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all for the help and suggestions. Nitecore D-10 on the way. I'll figure out batteries down the road. Probably eneloops or AW protected 14500's with 139 charger.

droopy