Any 2x21700 lights out there other than the Nitecore MH40S?

alex_sisk

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I own a ~2018 Feinix TK35UE (3100 lumen) - it was my first timie checking out the world of higher-powered LED flashliglights.
I didn't know at the time, but it seems my TK35UE's ability to hold two batteries is somewhat rare. I'm now quite accustomed to its 2x18650 setup / (3500mAh each) totalling 7,000 mAh

I decided for fun to seek out another light. I quickly encountered 5000 mAh 21700 cells, and thought "wow, I'd love to top out at 10,000 mAh..."

After a good bit of searhing, I've found only the Nitecore MH40S, and a Fenix headband lamp. There's nothing wrong with the MH40S - I just want to know if I'm missing any others.

Almost every flashlight on the market would be a downgrade in battery capacity for me, and that seems crazy 3-4 years later! I get it - smaller lights.....)

Thanks for any input! :)

P.S. - I own a multi-chemistry charger from Fenix that would work just fine, and don't like built in battery pack designs. The newer model of my light, now puts out a 2,000 more lumens, and still accepts two batteries, but the're still 18650s. (In fact, for some reason, they're using two 3,400 mAh 18650s?? As I said, mine has 3500s.)

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore MH40S is batteries in series, so it is 8.4volts instead of 4.2v, but capacity will remain the same as a single cell, i.e. 4000-5000mAh for most 21700s.

Note sure the Fenix if it is series of parallel.

But capacity isn't everything, higher voltage will mean less amps need to be drawn.

Also highest capacity doesn't always give the longest runtime.

It depends what you are doing.

High output and high amp draws you might well get better runtimes with lower capacity higher performance batteries. i.e. most of the time on any sort of High or Turbo output, a 3000mAh battery like a Samsung30Q will giver better runtimes than most 3400-3500mAh

Toulouse42

Enlightened
I too own a Fenix TK35UE (2000 lumens) and although I am casting covetous eyes over a 21700 layout (Fenix PD40R), I find that apart from the headline lumens, everything below that is broadly matched by my TK35. I'm finding it quite easy to resist the cost over in the UK of near £200 for the torch and two 21700 batteries.

I also own a Nitecore MH20 and I've always wondered why they never made a two cell version. The basic model is already quite short and an extra 65 mm for a second 18650 would still result in a torch that was only 170 mm long. If they could resist the urge to go for silly headline figures, then this could have been a great flashlight.

alex_sisk

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the responses!

hsa, I did notice a couple more 2x21700s, and I saw one of them on Parametrek - that site is useful.

Sir Drumstick - The 2018 TK35UE that I own has the batteries in parallel. Here's a pic I found, not that you can really tell

Also, I simply never thought about looking into batteries from alternative manufacturers, which is kind of silly, since with AAA/AA I don't use anything other than Eneloop Pros. I don't know why that didn't cross my mind.

Toolouse - I have reallly enjoyed my TK35UE. I don't know how I got by before without some kind of bright light at all. It comes in handy for so many situations.

Since yesterday, I've started thinking about just getting an intentionally smaller, lower output, single cell unit to keep in the car just in case. But then I'll have to worry about the efffects of temperature on the battery....Maybe the Nitecore MH12SE or the Fenix PD35v3.0....

Lots to think about.