Any CPFer in regieon of Katrina...

Tree_2

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

Tree here (Billy), had to register under a new name since I am on a borrowed laptop. Me and my family are in Lafayette staying with relatives. I haven't been to my house yet, but from some stories I have heard and from talking to a neighbor that knows a LEO who stayed it doesn't look like much flood damage to my street, a few inches at most if anything in the house. I don't know about wind damage.

The city looks horrible as I'm sure you all can see from the news. We were in Ponchatula at the request of my mom, got there Saturday night. At that point we didn't think we would be gone more than a few days coming home Tuesday or Wednesday. By Sunday we knew it would be bad and wished we brought more stuff with us. Monday morning the power went out and after a very hot night, Tuesday morning they said the water was being shut down so we left. We didn't see any of the damage until Tuesday night.

Anyway, prayers and thoughts are going out to all those still in the city or area. The looting is rediculous, but considering some of the people who stayed it is expected. I could understand taking baby food, diapers, and supplies to stay alive, but I saw ppl walking away with TV's and other electronics that can't even be used for at least a month. :scowl: I hope my house is not hit. We left our two cats, again thinking we would be back for them in several days. They should have plenty food and water for the week, but I hope the heat doesn't get to them.

www.wwltv.com has a forum for people searching for people and also has updates on specific areas.

I don't know what the future will bring. I can't work because I am still healing from knee and ankle surgery two weeks ago, and my wifes job is in question since it was based in Kenner and dealt with many places that basically don't exist right now. :thinking: :ohgeez:

Even after we can go back, then what? Sorry to vent here, but this is an immense weight on me right now.

As soon as we can see the damage to my house, I'll register with FEMA. I tried today, but it asked about damage and I couldn't finish the application.

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
As soon as we can see the damage to my house, I'll register with FEMA. I tried today, but it asked about damage and I couldn't finish the application.

Dang! There's a nasty catch22! :( If some folks are not allowed back for months.................

The relief required on this scale is unprecedented and it will take some unified effort and unprecedented and special programs and out of the box thinking to manage, support and effect needed relief. I hope the people and our leaders are up to the task. Beyond the funding required, the man hours and resources needed in clean up and rebuilding are stagering. As time moves on the damage to the infrastructure will spread beyond the path of the storm and we all will feel the impact. Hopefully there will be means available for all of us to aid in the mend; financial contributions being only one avenue.

Tree_2

Newly Enlightened
We should be allowed back on Monday at 6am to asses the damage, get whatever we want to bring with us and leave. Hopefully that won't turn into a situation in and of itself.

And P.S. Replies will be few and far between from me. I will be staying at a camp without landline phone service.

chrisse242

Enlightened
PhotonWrangler said:
I was watching CNN and saw a man and his two young children wandering aimlessly in the streets in Biloxi (I think). They were stranded in high flood waters and were clinging to each other to avoid being washed away, but as they tried to hang on, his wife said "I can't hold on any longer! Please take care of the kids..." and then he watched in horror as she lost her grip and... floated away....

Words fail me. :( :candle:

Hug your family tonight.

We had this guy on german TV today... It's so sad- My thoughts go out to all of those who lost friends, relatives, their home...
All this makes you notice how small our everday problems are... :(

Chrisse

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that Mike AKA Chief Wiggum just moved somewhere around New Orleans IIRC also.

mut

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tree -

Checked in late to this thread.

If you read this please post your PayPal addy. Yeah, I know you are all OK but running around the countryside can sap your account quick. I need to send you a couple of bucks.

Going to stay at a campsite for a while? That's innovative.

- Jeff