Any News on the Fenix Headlamp(s)

lightknight

Newly Enlightened
Just received a questionnaire from fenix concerning headlamps.
Think, this time they mean it!

Empyfree

Enlightened
I too received and filled out a questionairre about fenix headlights. My guess is that it will be a while before we see a product hit the "shelves" if they are just doing their market research. But at least they are doing it the right way round, hopefully they'll create a winning product!

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received the questionair also. It didn't sound to me like they were too close to a finished design. Fenix does things fast though. We may see onw quicker than we think.

:shrug:

Bill

Mdinana

Enlightened
I received the questionair also. It didn't sound to me like they were too close to a finished design. Fenix does things fast though. We may see onw quicker than we think.

:shrug:

Bill

I just want to know one thing: How do so many of the members here seem to be up to speed in regards to R&D of new lights/LEDs, get questionaires, etc? Are you all well known folks outside the forum in Flashlight-land or some other qualifications?

GaryF

Enlightened
I just want to know one thing: How do so many of the members here seem to be up to speed in regards to R&D of new lights/LEDs, get questionaires, etc? Are you all well known folks outside the forum in Flashlight-land or some other qualifications?

I think the questionnaire was sent out to people who had expressed previous interest in Fenix headlamps, or maybe just to a database of prior customers. I got one, and other than a keen interest, I have no credentials in the field.

lightknight

Newly Enlightened
I was forwarded the questionnaire by thephotonshop.co.uk where I recently bought a fenix. Great shop by the way.

Seek

Newly Enlightened
My first post :)

I'm always struck by the poor selection of decent headtorches that seem to be available against the dazzling range of torches / flashlights out there. Here's my wishlist for a headtorch on the offchance someone from Fenix (whose products strike me as being excellent in terms of price - quality) reads this ;)

- A decent battery pack at the back of the headtorch (in an ideal world, a couple of 18650s but I don't realistically see this getting to market for their first attempt at a headtorch). Alternatively, 3 AA strikes me as a sensible idea. Not *that* bulky and I think a sensible minimum if you want a fair output and a decent runtime. And of course, easy to find. Being able to borrow a few from a friend when you need to is very very useful :) A 'coin screw' to secure it.

- A couple of Seoul P4 or Cree Q5 emitters, one as a proper flood (a la Scurion or zebralight) and one medium to narrow spot with a decent optic. 3 brightness levels each, and the possibility of running them together. Failing that, a single emitter with a beam pattern like the P3D and a couple of e.g. Nicha NSPW500GS-K1. Skip the strobe / SOS mode. Is it really useful on a headtorch?

- A nice wide headband with an over-the-top band. You can always take it off if you don't like it but I find it makes a headtorch, especially one with a larger battery case, feel more secure.

- A sensibly located and easy to use switch. (Really, I have found nothing more satisfactory than that on the Black Diamond Xenix IQ in this respect. Rubberised, located on the bottom of the light head, good feedback.)

- Regulated but with a final low power unregulated mode that will give you a few hours of useable light before the battery finally dies. I can't overstress this point. It's amazing how much you can do with a trickle of light when you really have to - I had several close calls underground when I moved to a regulated headtorch.

- IP67 rated. 1m submersion and dust etc.

- Some kind of battery indicator.

Voila. Happy I'm finally posting something after lurking so long. What an insanely great resource this site is.

--Seek

Last edited:

cat

Enlightened
Still no news.

I'm about to order a P2D RB100 and an L1D body to use with my ZebraLight.
(The L1D because I want to be able to use NiMH AA like the ZebraLight, and the P2D because I want the Rebel emitter and I think the P2D body would be more useful to me as an alternative than an L2D body. The P3D length is ok on the strap but the L2D is probably too much.)
The only problem is that there's no way to swivel it.

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just noticed a section I hadn't seen before on the Fenix site. It's titled "Dosun", so I did a quick Google search and it seems they offer a headlamp with 3 beam profiles, 5 modes, battery guage, etc. Runs on 3 "AA" batteries. They also offer some interesting flashlights with a "Digital Ring-Switch" behind the bezel for output, battery indicators, etc. HA III finish and a nice zippered case.

Nothing in the section so far, so not sure if this is the long rumored headlamp or not. Looks interesting though.......

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Well, has anybody heard anything? '

It's been almost 4 months since I've heard anything, and Surefire has been parading their Saint Headlamp all over the place and will release it next month.

With SureFire about to release their headlamp, maybe it is time for Fenix to give is some idea of what we can expect when their headlamp comes to market?

Now that Surefire has acknowledged the existence of the rechargeable AA battery, I might not be able to restrain myself from ordering it, but it is only 100 lumens and I know Fenix can do a LOT better than that with 2xAA. . . .

Come on 4-Sevens. . . . throw me a bone and give us a little hint :)

Last edited:

EugeneJohn

Newly Enlightened
I'd been waiting to see what Fenix came out with, but the urge to emtpy my wallet became too much for me Wednesday. :broke:

I ordered the H30.

I hope Fenix comes out with something really nice which will force me to buy it also.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Don't worry. No matter what Fenix comes out with, you will still use and enjoy your Zebralight.

My H50 covers me for close in flood, but I still need a rugged water-resistant/proof very bright headlamp for viewing things at greater distances.

electrothump

Enlightened
What I desire is a nice beam decently bright headlight that doesn't go out like a switch was thrown when the battery dies.

Rayovac Sportsman 1AA comes close except for the last part.

Wish Rayovac would do away with the colored leds and go with white ones. You would have three levels like that. Oh well! They've done well to catch up as much as they have.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Yeah, to be quite honest I use an Energizer 3AAA 1 RED 2 "white" LED light with a slide switch.

It's very easy to use. I use red to prepare for bed, white to read a while and then red again to hang it where it's easy to use if I need it for a "can" trip in the night.

The Energizer 2 spot 2 fllood BOTH and 2red is better except it has a BOOGER of a clickie and you have to go through 2, 2, 4 2 off every time and I have to use a fingernail placed PERFECTLY to switch it.

While searching for that I found my Garrity 3AAA 2 LED and river rock 2AAA two level which I had forgotten about.

Gonna charge up some AAA and give those a try again.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Ok dokey. Last night I used the 2AAA 2 level .5 W River Rock headlight to read before sleep. It's a little too dim in low mode and too spot in either mode.

Good for some uses but NOT as a reading light.

Tonight I'll try the Garrity 3AAA 2 led 5 level.

I'd almost have to bet that when/if Fenix does a headlight it will be too spot for my use.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
I'd almost have to bet that when/if Fenix does a headlight it will be too spot for my use.

You sound like someone who could really benefit from a zebralight for night-time reading. On low, my H50 is great and doesn't wake my wife.

But back to the original discussion. . . . .

Any news on the Fenix headlamps? 4-Sevens. . . . are you out there?

Latest posts