anybody build a smoothie zoomable??

Blazer296

Newly Enlightened
Thinking of building a smoothy or two, and got wondering if anyone has figured out how to make a zoomable version?

While I realize aspherics are not the most favorite thing around here, but I do tend to like them on small lights.

Since most smoothies I have seen on here are of a smaller size (AAA/AA/14500) and the lenses I have found in comparable sizes are all having a short focal length (7-12mm), it seams doable.

So has anyone done it, or tried to?

Jim

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: anybody build a smoothy zoomable??

I have the same question. What is a smoothy?

I've modded quite a few small zoomable lights, but have no idea what you mean by "smoothy". I've not heard that term before.

Blazer296

Newly Enlightened

My mistake, I assumed if a newb like me had seen them, everyone has..............
Anyway, first two that poped up on here............... both larger than I have typically been seeing. Most have been AA or AAA size.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?332522-Making-a-P60-Copper-Smoothie

and here.....

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?329186-Fat-Boy-s-Copper-Smoothie-IT-LIVES!!

And just realized they spell it with an "IE" and I did a "Y". Well, guess thats why I never won any spelling b's.

Jim

Blazer296

Newly Enlightened

Corrected the spelling error in the title, left it elsewhere.

Jim

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast

I assume by "smoothy" you're referring to a completely scratch-built light where the outer body and head are made from segments of copper pipe.

I haven't seen anyone attempt this regarding a zoomie.

I don't think it would be easy to do. The problem is the sliding bezel section has to be pretty precisely fitted with the head and the pill. Get it a fraction of a mm off and the focus isn't right. This would be extremely hard to do with random copper pipes. Also typical zoomie construction has the pill itself serving as the stop that prevents the head from falling off. The pill has to partly extend wider than the body while at the same time screwing into it. Not easy to do in a scratch-built light.

It would certainly be possible to do, but unless you have a lathe to cut new threads it would probably be a pretty ugly home-made looking job.

If you want a better zoomable light it would be far easier to simply buy a cheap budget zoomie and then swap in better parts while re-using the original body.