Anybody have a "Chawly Changer" coin dispenser?

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Anybody have a \"Chawly Changer\" coin dispenser

I received my Chawly Changer last week. I have to say that I am impressed with the quality of this thing. It is really solid and looks like it could just about last a lifetime. It also looks like it couldn't cost less than $20. For the price of about $5 shipped, I was expecting it to be a bit flimsy and roughly built, but it is definitely not. Based on the quality, I could see this being a Victorinox product, for instance. The coins load easily and can be thummed out easily, but they stay securely in place otherwise. I shook the changer as hard as I could to get them to fall out and none of them even budged.

It is also a bit smaller than I expected and carries very well in my pocket. I don't like anything bulky in my pockets, but this is really not bad at all. It is easy to use and is already helping me get rid of my extra change.

This little gem is definitely a keeper, and it is also a real steal at the current price. No more rolling coins for me. I just wish I had discovered this thing years ago.

Dave, you must have your's by now. Are you as happy with yours?

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast

How long did it take before you got it? Just wondering how long I should expect for my order to arrive-

I guess the only problem with this may be that you need to resupply it with the full complement of coinage after making a purchase, so you may be caught without the right amount of change on a second or third purchase. I suppose you'd need to have on hand a handful of coins that you can use to refill it after making a purchase.

avusblue

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Lurker said:
I received my Chawly Changer last week. I have to say that I am impressed with the quality of this thing. It is really solid and looks like it could just about last a lifetime. It also looks like it couldn't cost less than $20. For the price of about $5 shipped, I was expecting it to be a bit flimsy and roughly built, but it is definitely not. Based on the quality, I could see this being a Victorinox product, for instance. The coins load easily and can be thummed out easily, but they stay securely in place otherwise. I shook the changer as hard as I could to get them to fall out and none of them even budged.

It is also a bit smaller than I expected and carries very well in my pocket. I don't like anything bulky in my pockets, but this is really not bad at all. It is easy to use and is already helping me get rid of my extra change.

This little gem is definitely a keeper, and it is also a real steal at the current price. No more rolling coins for me. I just wish I had discovered this thing years ago.

Dave, you must have your's by now. Are you as happy with yours?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with 100% of what you said. It's a wonderfully handy little gadget, well made, and very fairly priced. And it came in only a couple of days via 1st class mail. I plan to get another one to keep in the car for drive-thru visits.

Cheers,

Dave

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast

I take my accumulated change to my local market and use their Coinstar. I think the fee is about 8% but who wants to deal with wrappers, etc.

My sisters boyfriend just moved and had accumulated 8 Sparkletts water bottles full of change and some $100 bills. My sister got wrappers from the bank and spent a week wrapping.

The grand total ---- $8,200 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wingerr,
You are correct, you can reload the changer with your surplus coins until they are all gone, but the real power of the Chawly Changer is that once you are down to just a few coins and you don't have enough to make the change for a purchase, the changer will ACCEPT the change from that purchase and then your coins will be organized and handy for you to give out on your NEXT purchase. It keeps your coin inventory to a bare minimum. You stop accumulating coins. You may never have more than about a dollar's worth of change ever again.

One thing that is handy to reload the changer with your surplus coins is one of those rubber coin purses that hardware stores carry. I'm keeping a full one in my car until I go through my stock of surplus coins. Or you can just use a ziplock baggie.

I ordered mine last Monday morning. I received shipping confirmation Monday afternoon. It arrived from Missouri to North Carolina on Thursday in my mailbox well packaged. I consider that very speedy service for $1.05. I honestly can't see how this guy is making any money on this whole deal, so get them while you can.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Marty Weiner,

That is amazing how much change your friend had accumulated. But it just goes to show you how it builds up over time. I had a friend with a glass 5-gallon water cooler jug nearly full of change. He estimated that it had to be in the thousands of dollars. He kept it in the living room as a conversation piece. One day his house was broken in to and I think the jug was the only thing stolen. They must have been prepared with a hand truck because it was too heavy to move any other way. My own coin can was also stolen, but it only had about $75 in it.

If your friend had paid an 8% rolling fee on all that coinage using the supermarket machines, he would have paid a $656 fee. What this all means to me is that spending off your change as you get it can save you a lot of money in the long run.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, my goal with this thing is to NEVER accept any change from the cashier - /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I don't like keeping coins the way people do, and then have to deal with them en masse after they reach the tipping point.
So, I'll be reloading it with my own coinage whenever possible, kept in a 35mm film can.

It's like having folders in a file cabinet; it just helps to keep it organized and easily know that you have a full set of coins for any change requirement. Carry a pocketful of change and you could do that too, just like tossing your papers in a box and leafing through to find what you need. Just easier to have it organized.

I already put in my order, but haven't gotten any delivery confirmation yet, so I was just wondering how long it took-

Got the smoke one; if that's what you have, is it transparent enough to see the innards?

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, I got the smoke one also. It is cool looking. The other colors looked kind of ugly in the pictures. You can make out the innards somewhat through the plastic housing. All of the major pieces are pretty visible from the outside anyway, but you can see the springs through the plastic. There is also a schematic diagram on the website somewhere that shows how the pieces fit together.

You should get your's pretty quickly unless Walters is on vacation or something. I think it is a one-man operation. He got mine postmarked on the day I ordered it.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Funny but everytime I see his name I think he should be running a chocolate factory and wear a tall top hat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wasn't that Willie Wonka in the top hat?

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yup- but "Charlie Wolters" just reminds me of that for some reason (maybe because it sounds alike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif-
I got notice it was shipped just a day after ordering; just that the email got snagged by Hotmail's spam filtering- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just got mine, and I have to admit, it's a nice little gadget- like loading a clip, but easier.
Nice setup with the plastic plunger visible on the bottom so you can immediately see at a glance if all the channels are full, or check it while it's in your pocket, without having to look.
Though I usually use my credit card whenever possible, even for small purchases, I'll probably pay cash for a while just for an excuse to use the thing - /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I got an extra purple one just on a lark, and the color is very subdued, not garish at all, like I was expecting. Pretty dark and unobtrusive.

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK - you've convinced me to order a couple. I'll get a green and smoke.

The real question is - do I want the chain? It isn't the lousy 50 cents but I can't see ever using it.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd forgo the chain, it'd just get in the way, I'd imagine.
Certainly when loaded up, it's too weighty to leave dangling from your keys. Keep it simple..

First purchase, and what did I need to extract?? 99 cents! Go figure.. almost unloaded it all on the first shot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I didn't make optimal use of it though- I could have ditched two nickels for one of the dimes I flipped out; always get rid of the heavy stuff first.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got the one with the keychain. The bead chain can be easily removed or replaced, so there is no downside to having it. If you get the one without the keychain, there are no holes so you can't add a lanyard later. I attached a mini clip to mine to see if that would be a handy addition.

That said, I will probably use mine without the chain installed. You can spin it around in your hand effortlessly that way to access the coins on the other side. And it carries so well in the pocket, I don't really need the mini clip.

I can't believe how fast I am going through change now. I had a big double fistfull of coins 2 weeks ago which I thought would take a month or 2 to get rid of, but it is almost completely gone already. I am about to enter the coin equilibrium stage.

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast

I ordered a couple with the chain figuring that I can remove it easily.

I'll let everyone know how I like them after I use them for a while.

Chawly

Newly Enlightened

SUPER THANKS to Lurker for starting this message string, and also to Bucky who got the string going in a positive way and for starting strings elsewhere about my Chawly Changer. I appreciate all of the comments from all of you, whether good, bad, or off-subject. No, I don't make much money on this product, but I sure have fun reading all of these messages.

I had a mold crash a while back and haven't had time to get it going after repairing the cosmetic damage. So, for right now, I'm sold out of smoke changers.

I've been wanting make a thicker changer that holds more, but it might be a long time before I get those molds made. The prototype is the same size, except it one inch thick (the Chawly Changer is 3/8 inch). It holds 10 quarters (5 of them in a cell on the bottom), 5 nickels, 6 pennies, and 7 dimes.

No, Wingerr, I don't wear a top hat. But, on bad hair days I'm told I look like Doc Brown from "Back to the Future." Him, I can relate to!

Thanks guys!
Charlie

Chawly

Newly Enlightened

Sorry, I meant the Chawly Changer is 5/8 inch thick. But, you all knew that, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Welcome aboard Chawly! Hope ya like flashlights, too!

And I just ordered five of the durn things, figure they'll come in real handy.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow, good to see ya onboard- tap into those Jigger Watts and you should get plenty 'o smoke!
Oddly, I still find it fun just idly flicking coins in and out of the thing. I suppose there's someone out there that's really good at manipulating the coins in and out of it with one hand, like casio guys that shuffle their chips around.
Just out of curiousity, how would it hold up to a drop to pavement fully loaded? I'm don't plan to test it, but since it looks rather Lexan-ish, how would it fare?