Anybody here like cats?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
Here is the cat that showed up at the shop one day a little over a year ago and never left.

catvm.jpg

broadgage

Enlightened
Glad to see so many cat lovers here.

What is the general view as to feeding a cat raw meat ?
Some cat welfare experts advise against so doing, but cats do hunt and some eat the prey, no one cooks it for them !

I am looking after two young cats for a neighbour, they dislike tinned cat food.
I have been feeding a mixture of raw beef, about 50 grammes a day per cat, and unlimited dry cat food.(which they hardly touch some days)
They seem happy, healthy, and well fed but not fat. The diet does not seem much for young growing cats, but I think that they catch and eat quite a few mice as well.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a little something you can try. Buy some cheap liver such as chicken. Cover with water then boil until cooked. Run it through a food processor with enough of the boiled liquid for an almost runny pate'. Spoon a few tablespoons on the dry food and stand back. It will keep in the refrigerator for up to a week.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
What is the general view as to feeding a cat raw meat ?
Some cat welfare experts advise against so doing, but cats do hunt and some eat the prey, no one cooks it for them !

I have been feeding a mixture of raw beef, about 50 grammes a day per cat,
That's really not a good idea. Cats will indeed eat live animals - but that's not the same as a piece of beef that has been man-handled throughout all the processing steps (e.g. exposed to air, potentially contaminated with gut bacteria from the cow, worker handling, etc.). I've seen butchering first hand, and it is not pretty. And raw ground beef is a recipe for food poisoning, given all the extra exposure and handling during grinding. Stick with cooked meat sources only.

And avoid too much fish - it's not so easy for them to digest, apparently. Sunspot's chicken pate sounds like it would be a hit - but again in moderation - good quality cat food is your best bet for a balanced diet. Too much rich food and you risk giving them the runs.

And yes, it is nice to see all the cat pics here. :twothumbs

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Seems like a good time to bring back the pic of dear departed Weston. He's been gone a couple years now. Still no replacement. I was sure a stray would have shown up at the door by now.

Weston1.jpg

Geoff

1wrx7

Enlightened
1WRX7 is that a Rock River Arms AR? Call him Blackout? He looks like a little Puma in the top pic and seems to have found a spot he likes!! LOL. Looks like a nice safe, don't forget a drying rod or bag of drying beads

It started it's life as a S&W M&P15A... at least until I started adding a lot of other goodies:devil:. I have several dessicant bags in there now and I'm looking into the rods. The safe is used and has some wear, but for $700 I got a safe worth over $2000 new:party:

Heres mine. I'm cat lover too. Found him in a garbage can when he was a couple months old. Its a shame how people treat a life. I knew I had to take care of this kitten so I brought him home. Good thing I didn't come across the culprit who had done this otherwise I would have stuffed him/she in a garbage can like how I cram components into a small light..........

I thought something was wrong with my cat as he was in heat 24-7-365. Took him to the vet and was told that he was just extremely healthy. Then one day as I was looking out the window, I noticed my cat would go hange out at my neighbors house. As the lady next door approached my cat from behind, she started playing pocket pool with my cats nuts...... No wonder he's in heat 24-7-365. Can you believe this? Has this happened to anyone else?

25pojkp.jpg

ARC mania

WOW... yet another reason to have an indoor cat:crackup: Twisted people out there...

Here is the cat that showed up at the shop one day a little over a year ago and never left.

catvm.jpg

Thats a great pic:D I brought a big heavy cardboard box home from work to enclose the litter box. While it was just sitting on the floor the box became the most facinating thing to my kitten. He jumped in and out of it for hours.

I realized today why I can't leave anything with a lanyard attatched to it out in the open anymore... he thinks..."It's an Atwood:thinking::takeit:

008-3.jpg

LEDMaster2003_V2

Newly Enlightened
I'll bet you anything that's a Maine Coon. I have a friend whose husband's mom runs a Maine Coon cattery here in Austin, MN. She has also broadened to Tonkinese.
If anyone has seen the April (IIRC) issue of Cat Fancy, the Tonkinese on the cover is one of hers.

Anyways, yes, as you can see by my avatar, I'm also a cat person. My avi is a picture of our dearly departed Mariah, a Dollface Chinchilla Persian.

Here's my album of pics of her:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...armFan/Mariah/

and here's a video slideshow I made
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2ovIUTQT8I

I miss her SO MUCH!
icon_cry.gif
I can still feel her soft fur on my face, and hear her meow.
Before Mariah, we had my sister's cat Isis for a while when they lived in a condo that didn't allow pets. She was a VERY dark brown, so dark she looked black in normal light. You'd have to have her in sunlight or, maybe a powerful flashlight's beam, to see here "true colo(u)r". Here's a pic of her.

MVC-001S.jpg

Before that we had a white Angora named She-Bop (yes, after the '80s Cyndi Lauper song)

Last edited:

trdvet

Newly Enlightened
I have two. I found one at PetsMart and the other found me at my front door.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is not MY cat, but my room mates cat. But I really do enjoy him being around.

Originally named ROFLZ (like Rofflez), but didn't stick. Goes by Cat now.

7229_601837850305_34416482_35779332_1630440_n.jpg

For whatever reason, he loves bags. Inside of a bag or on a bag, its the same. You can have 10 comfy cat beds, sofas, whatever on the ground next to each other. If there is a backpack there, he will take it everytime.

7229_604815398275_34416482_35875812_5029159_n.jpg

...and this was a few moments after we played a little rough with him. I sometimes wonder if he is a robot out to get us.

3220_571602916355_34416482_34834001_5916313_n.jpg

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
I've alwayssaid, my next cat (who will be my 5th BTW) will called "-5", and once neutered, will be renamed "-5e"

Let's see how many geeks get that one ;)

Russ T. Nutt

Newly Enlightened
Great pics! I dearly love cats, but unfortunately can't have one. My 5 yr. old son, who also loves cats (as well as dogs, rabbits, horses - anything with fur), is very allergic to them. Maybe some day he will grow out of it and experience the joy of a loveable little furball curled up in his lap fast asleep. One can only hope.

Scott