Anybody own an sr90 AND a DEFT?

easilyled

Flashaholic
I guess it depends on the distances involved.
with a searchlight, we're talking about pretty long distances, right? the ST90 will limit how far you can see -- counterintuitive to what you want in a searchlight.

Do you have an SR90 or are you conjecturing?
I have no problem seeing a very long distance with mine.
The spill doesn't dazzle the eyes (and cause the pupils to constrict significantly) because its much weaker than the hotspot.
However the hotspot itself is much bigger than that of the deft so it lights up a much bigger area at a long distance out than the DEFT does.

Last edited:

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
I've had an SR90 foe awhile now and used it a few times. Out in the boonies, this light just blows away a compact (sub 35w) HID. It out throws my POB 35w with a HUGE reflector. It has more spill as well, but that doesn't seem to detract from it's usefulness as a searchlight. In fact it makes it far easier to both search far off and navigate rough terrain -- at the same time.

The more I use this light (under varying circumstances) the more I am impressed with it.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had an SR90 foe awhile now and used it a few times. Out in the boonies, this light just blows away a compact (sub 35w) HID. It out throws my POB 35w with a HUGE reflector. It has more spill as well, but that doesn't seem to detract from it's usefulness as a searchlight. In fact it makes it far easier to both search far off and navigate rough terrain -- at the same time.

The more I use this light (under varying circumstances) the more I am impressed with it.
The SR90 cannot out-throw a properly functioning POB. Won't happen. You'd need about 5 SR90s to do that. Please stop exaggerating. You are building up expectations for this light that cannot be met.

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
As far as the POB goes, I did just pull it out from behind the seat of my truck -- with no idea of the level of charge. As I look at it now, it only has one light lit up on the battery level indicator. Not sure what the output graph looks like for the POB, but it probably is not up to maximum. I will go back out over the weekend with both lights and ask my wife to take some pictures with fixed settings for posting.

OTOH, it absolutely makes a fairly new Boxer 24w (with full charge) look pathetic by comparison. That is no exaggeration. In both throw and spill there is no comparison. That alone is more than impressive for a LED light. But like I keep saying -- this thing is HUGE! It's too big for many tasks.

357mag1

Enlightened
I know there are alot of options and variables, but to put it as simply as possible, I want an LED light with MAXIMUM throw. I don't care about flood, and these are the two that seem to stand out, but I haven't been able to find a comparison.

I own both and the SR90 puts out a wall of light and has great throw but the deft will cut right through the SR90s hot spot at close range off a white wall or out in the field at a distance of a couple of hundred yards. If I shine the SR90 on a tree 200 yards distant it will light up the whole tree but the Deft will cut right through the hotspot and make the square (almost) light patch quite a bit brighter. It is just much smaller.

I didn't try my DBS aspheric in the field with the SR90 but here in the house the DBS square of light stands out inside the hotspot of the SR90. I've learned white wall impressions mean very little in the real world so take it for what it is worth. The Deft square is smaller (about 2/3rds the size) and brighter than the DBS square at 20ft on a white wall. The Deft easily out throws the DBS outdoors.

Comparing the Deft to the SR90 is kind of silly because they are two totaly different lights. If you just want throw and don't care about lighting up anything but the exact spot you point the light then I haven't seen anything better than the Deft yet. My lights are limited to mainly LEDs and a couple of economy spot lights.

moviles

Enlightened
I don't currently own either but just ordered the SR90 fron goinggear.com. I own Olights and have had no problems with then at all. the SR90 was the obvious choice for me. I think it will be hard to beat!!!

you ordered one ssr-90 from goinggear.com?

link?

what flux and tint bins?

EDIT ok you ordered one Olight SR90 Intimidator

Last edited: