Anyone else putting spare batts in the inside ankle area of their socks?

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
I broke my ankle last year and now I have lots of titanium holding it all together. I'm afraid that something would happen and I'd short out the batteries!

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the SurefireSC1 battery storage container and I use a suitable sized meds bottle to carry both 123& CR2 batterys in my Dopp kit that is packed for trips to the VA Hospital, I never know when they will admit me but carrying the dopp kit generally speaking keeps me out of the Hospital, my lucky toiletry kit.

Let It Bleed

Newly Enlightened
What is a "Dopp kit?" Based on the context, I know what you're talking about but have never heard the term (acronym?) "Dopp" and am curious. Thanks.

I admit that I carry a murse for all my stuff also. One is a Maxpedition sling pack and the other is a Duluth canvas bag. Of course I call them my Bug-Out bag and utility bag respectively. :sssh:

ishmael

Newly Enlightened
I think Dopp kit may be a military term, that's where I learned it anyway but it is what I have heard referred to as a shaving kit. A small kind of football sized bag with a zippered top.

I carry a freaking purse and I couldn't care less what anyone thinks about it. It is OD canvas and looks like an oversized NBC mask carrier and nothing at all like what most women I see carry, but where is the offense supposed to come in about it being called what it has been forever just because the sex of the carrier changes? I don't get it.

Last edited:

Gryffin

Enlightened
I think Dopp kit may be a military term, that's where I learned it anyway but it is what I have heard referred to as a shaving kit. A small kind of football sized bag with a zippered top.

From Wikipedia: (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dopp_kit)

A Dopp kit is a small toilet bag, made of leather, vinyl, or cloth, that is used for storing men's grooming tools for travel. Common items kept in a Dopp kit are deodorant, a razor, shaving cream, comb, shampoo, nail clippers, scissors, toothbrush, toothpaste, and cologne. The name derives from early 20th century leather craftsman Charles Doppelt, a German immigrant to the United States, who invented his toiletry case in 1919.

The kits became widely known during the Second World War when they were issued to GIs. Doppelt's company was purchased by Samsonite in the early 1970s.

Dopp kits were once a common gift given to adolescent males as they ascended from boyhood to adulthood.

Although the term was originally a trademark, it appears to have at least mostly become generic, and the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office lists the trademark as abandoned.

We now return you to your originally scheduled programming...

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't carry spare batteries unless one or more of the following is true:

1) I know I'm going to be away from civilization for a while
2) I intend to be using my light(s) regularly
3) I'm carrying a high-output, short runtime light as a primary. My usual EDC lights are long to medium runtimes.

If I am carrying spares, they'd be stashed in my backpack. I may start carrying a single CR123 battery carrier on my keychain.

-Trevor

Gryffin

Enlightened
1) I know I'm going to be away from civilization for a while

Hey, if you're comforable wiht that, great, it sure simplifies things! But some of us have our reasons.

The idea behind a "get home bag" or "bug out bag" is that you unexpectedly find yourself getting away from civilization (or more to the point, civilization getting away from you). I'm not a real prepper, but my place of employment is considered a "national security asset" (AKA target for the Bad Guys), so it's not totally inconceivable that I find myself walking home someday. So, I keep some appropriate stuff handy, including spare batteries.

2) I intend to be using my light(s) regularly

I *do* use my lights regularly, but have a bad habit of not checking the cells regularly. So having spares around ensures I don't have to go without light just because of my laziness. In fact, that's why I love those PowerPax carrier: when I have to reload, the depleted ones go back in upside-down, so I know at a glance which ones need recharging.

3) I'm carrying a high-output, short runtime light as a primary. My usual EDC lights are long to medium runtimes.

Heh heh... I love showing off, so I tend to carry the high-power lights... but I almost always actually use then on low or medium power. In fact, I make a point of using the lowest level that gets the job done. (See the comment on my laziness above.)

I may start carrying a single CR123 battery carrier on my keychain.

Like I said, I've standardized on AA/14500 lights for the most part; but the one that gets by far the most usages is the Maratac AAA on my keychain. So if I was gonna carry any spares on my person, it wold be one or two AAA cells for that one. I'd love to find a keychain capsule just big enough for one AAA cells. (As an alternative, the PowerPax AAA is made for six cells, which is more bulk than I wanna carry; I've considered getting one and cut it down into a pair of two-cell carriers.)

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd love to find a keychain capsule just big enough for one AAA cells
Add some few mm's and you got the preon P0. Not a capsule, but it's really in a size of it's own, even compared with the tiny maratac. A perfect spare/backup capsule :)

Gryffin

Enlightened
Add some few mm's and you got the preon P0. Not a capsule, but it's really in a size of it's own, even compared with the tiny maratac. A perfect spare/backup capsule :)

Kinda pricey for a battery capsule, but I see your point. ;)

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, if you're comforable wiht that, great, it sure simplifies things! But some of us have our reasons.

The idea behind a "get home bag" or "bug out bag" is that you unexpectedly find yourself getting away from civilization (or more to the point, civilization getting away from you). I'm not a real prepper, but my place of employment is considered a "national security asset" (AKA target for the Bad Guys), so it's not totally inconceivable that I find myself walking home someday. So, I keep some appropriate stuff handy, including spare batteries.
The OP didn't specify a BOB, GHB, 72-hour bag, or any other kind of emergency response pack. From the sound of the post, it was a discussion about EDC carry. Which, for me, are two entirely different beasts.

I *do* use my lights regularly, but have a bad habit of not checking the cells regularly. So having spares around ensures I don't have to go without light just because of my laziness. In fact, that's why I love those PowerPax carrier: when I have to reload, the depleted ones go back in upside-down, so I know at a glance which ones need recharging.
Which makes carrying spares for you an excellent idea. It's also why I stopped carrying my E1B as an EDC - I was always annoyed that there was a real chance I'd have to swap out to a new battery or a secondary light. The M61LL and the E1L are both long-running lights and I'm confident I can address most situations comfortably. If I run into an emergency scenario that exceeds that, I probably don't have all the supplies I'd want anyway.

In the Army, when I might find myself in the middle of the woods all night on a 30-second notice, I carried SF battery carrier because it was entirely possible I would need the extra batteries. As a civilian on public transit moving around town, it hasn't been an issue.

Heh heh... I love showing off, so I tend to carry the high-power lights... but I almost always actually use then on low or medium power. In fact, I make a point of using the lowest level that gets the job done. (See the comment on my laziness above.)
I stopped doing that in the Army; I found it encouraged my co-workers to come try and bother or pilfer my equipment instead of preparing themselves. Or I quickly get the label as "that guy" which also ends up with odd looks or being the gadget "go-to" person.

Like I said, I've standardized on AA/14500 lights for the most part; but the one that gets by far the most usages is the Maratac AAA on my keychain. So if I was gonna carry any spares on my person, it wold be one or two AAA cells for that one. I'd love to find a keychain capsule just big enough for one AAA cells. (As an alternative, the PowerPax AAA is made for six cells, which is more bulk than I wanna carry; I've considered getting one and cut it down into a pair of two-cell carriers.)

I'd swear I've seen a AAA keychain battery carrier somewhere. Maybe Peak? I think they were selling AAA bodies with a plug on the end to work as battery carriers. I'll have to do some digging - that's going to bug me.

Not to get too far afield, but I typically carry cr123s, although I do have AAA and AA lights in my emergency bag. As well as a converter kit to power a Malkoff module on AAs, just in case.

-Trevor

Gryffin

Enlightened
The OP didn't specify a BOB, GHB, 72-hour bag, or any other kind of emergency response pack. From the sound of the post, it was a discussion about EDC carry. Which, for me, are two entirely different beasts.

Hmmm. yeah, you're right; my EDC includes a bag, and the OP was talking specifically about going very light. But I guess that just shows to go ya, EDC isn't the same for everybody.

If I run into an emergency scenario that exceeds that, I probably don't have all the supplies I'd want anyway.

Heh heh heh... That goes for everybody. If you did have everything you need, it wouldn't classify as an "emergency" any more! :D

That's part of the challenge of EDC: that balance between preparedness and comfort/convenience. The "sweet spot" is different for all of us.

I stopped doing that in the Army; I found it encouraged my co-workers to come try and bother or pilfer my equipment instead of preparing themselves. Or I quickly get the label as "that guy" which also ends up with odd looks or being the gadget "go-to" person.

To be honest, most of my "showing off" is to myself. Family, friends, cow-orkers... they're never as impressed as I am.

But, yeah, I'm also the guy everybody comes to when they need a light, a knife, a tool, etc. How's it go? Rich, good-looking, or useful, you gotta be at least one of those, preferably two. ;)

I'd swear I've seen a AAA keychain battery carrier somewhere. Maybe Peak? I think they were selling AAA bodies with a plug on the end to work as battery carriers. I'll have to do some digging - that's going to bug me

I think next time I need something from Amazon, I'm gonna get me another 6xAAA PowerPax and chop it up to make two 2xAAA carriers. (Or if I'm lucky, maybe a 3xAAA and a 2xAAA...) Prolly not for pocket carry, but it sure would be handy to keep in the bag.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
A man purse... we only get to tease you about it if you paid too much for it, is too small to fit everything and it goes out of style in 6 months.
if it's OD canvas, it's never been in style and therefore can never be out of style.

Last edited:

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
My method as well.

I just carry these. It's not too bad.

img2012040607519.jpg

Latest posts