Anyone know if a D25C2 will run on Li-ion?

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
A local seller has these in stock still. I quite fancy one, despite it being old stock.

EagleTac D25C2 Mini (the twisty version).

Does anyone know if it can run it on a 16650 Li-ion? The specs don't say. I have 16650's already for another torch. But I won't run CR123a's, too expensive. I'd consider running 2 x RCR123, but it also doesn't say if that will work or not.

I actually have the slightly larger D25LC2 already, it was my first proper LED torch years ago. The LC2 version is slightly wider to accept an 18650. But I really like the idea of the even narrower D25C2 to add to the collection. But only if I can use Li-ion with it.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't look hard enough at the link above. It seems to suggest operating voltage would be fine for either one or two li-ion.

:D

Screenshot 2022-10-04 at 12.49.28 pm.png

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, did you cop that thing? Since you said 'old stock', I assume those are the 'original' release - (apparently) not to be confused with what is ostensibly a new(er) version, which the U.S. distributor I use is currently stocking.

It does state it's an XM-L2 U4, which I suppose is newer than the original version had (XP-G?), but....(and there's always a 'but'), its dimensions are also sadly a tick larger than the original as well - although still smaller than the the current D25LC2"clicky" MK II I have. It appears it will, however chamber an 18650.

Tradeoffs I suppose, as with most things in life!

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, did you cop that thing? Since you said 'old stock', I assume those are the 'original' release - (apparently) not to be confused with what is ostensibly a new(er) version, which the U.S. distributor I use is currently stocking.

It does state it's an XM-L2 U4, which I suppose is newer than the original version had (XP-G?), but....(and there's always a 'but'), its dimensions are also sadly a tick larger than the original as well - although still smaller than the the current D25LC2"clicky" MK II I have. It appears it will, however chamber an 18650.

Tradeoffs I suppose, as with most things in life!
Yes, I did order it in the end. But only yesterday, so probably a couple of days before it arrives.

Re: the D25LC2. I actually have one of these. When EagleTac introduced this D Series range of twisty lights, they offered a variety of 1AA, 2AA, CR123a and the D25LC2 which was the biggest and most powerful. I bought mine about 10-11 years ago. It had an original XP-G in it. Although I've modded it to a neutral white XP-G2 a good number of years ago.

The D25LC2 is very small for an 18650 light (it came with an insert to run CR123a/16340s). It is short and uses a very thin walled tube. Making it very sleek and light in your hand and pocket.

The D25C2 being narrower should be even sleeker and lighter. Which really appeals. I often like the size of an AA light, but hate the output and hate the runtimes a 14500 gives. This D25C2 will probably be about as small as you can get but still offer pretty good output and runtimes (I may look to modding the emitter for something newer and nicer tint).

Will post some pictures up when it arrives.

Meanwhile, here is my current D25LC2 compared to a regular 18650 tube light. Pictures don't do it justice, in the hand it feels even smaller. I've put a 1xCR123a light for comparison to show how much narrower the D25C2 should be.

I also love that the D25C2 and D25LC2 are twisty lights, silent to turn on/off (not to wake my partner at night). I don't think there are currently any other twisity lights using batteries bigger than an AA.

w7LXDK6h.jpg

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
The D25C2 arrived today.

It is everything I hoped and expected. It works perfectly on a 16650. Tint is as expected CW, but it isn't horrid. Performance looks good and it is wonderfully compact and lightweight. It's hard to describe how light it feels. When you open the battery tube up, it feels paper thin, but completely strong.

I have 1AA lights which are bigger and heavier.

CxvS3CZh.jpg

With an AA Thrunite:
csRmu4Wh.jpg

Battery sizes. The 16650 is lower capacity, but they are available in 2500mAh and more than capable of the continuous load required with this light.
TOQuCouh.jpg

Showing the smaller diameter of the lens and tube. All things to help is disappear in your pocket. Its sleek enough that I'd even put it in a suit inside jacket pocket.
fHRMrkYh.jpg

Here really shows the size difference/compactness vs regular 18650 lights.
foynpeTh.jpg

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
The D25C2 arrived today.
Good on ya! For some of us, size really does matter (every mm), and that's good performance in a minimal form factor. Good comparison photos too! If you still dig it in a week or two, you might want to consider picking up a second for loss/theft insurance while you have a source, as those will probably dry up from the new supply chain soon, and something tells me you may not want to be without one of these.