Anyone know who makes Costco brand Kirkland batteries?

Jameso

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to post an update on my Rayovac battery leakage that destroyed my Fluke 345 Power Line Analyzer. Approximately a $3k piece of test equipment.

I am waiting on the check from Rayovac to see what they are paying out, so I have not seen the bottom line yet.

I received this poorly written email today regarding the Rayovac Leakage Guarantee case I submitted.

"Good day!

We do have an update on your warranty. Your claim is approved and we are issue out a reimbursement for a replacement meter. The check will be issued next week and should arrive a few days after that I an envelope marked Spectrum Brands.

Thank you!"

So moving forward, NO MORE Duracell batteries will every be purchased by my family. I was at my daughters place last week and I had a bunch of Duracell batteries in a Ziplock bag in her tool bag and a few of these batteries that have never been used leaked! Luckily they were inside a Ziplock bag so they did not damage any of the tools in the tool bag. Rayovac or Lithiums only moving forward. I have decided if the device cost $20 or more, Lithiums are probably the wisest idea, but if I am not running Lithiums, I will be using Rayovac. Things like TV remotes and other high usage things that I handle a lot will have Rayovac installed.

What I find very interesting almost all the batteries supplied in Asian electronics for things like remote controls never seem to leak. Maybe they are on to something and maybe Duracell and Energizer can learn something from these battery manufacturers.

I will try to update the thread when I receive the check and post the amount that Rayovac/Spectrum Brands paid out.

The Oxy Kid

Newly Enlightened
My evidence is totally anecdotal, but I find Duracells to be far worse leakers than Energizers. They both suck, but Duracell sucks more.

Guess I have been lucky. I have been buying both Duracell and Kirkland AA and AAA batteries for years, and never had a leaker. We use probably 400 or more AAA and AAA's a year, in flashlights, radios, toys, etc.

The Kid

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guess I have been lucky. I have been buying both Duracell and Kirkland AA and AAA batteries for years, and never had a leaker. We use probably 400 or more AAA and AAA's a year, in flashlights, radios, toys, etc.

The Kid

You're what 'we' call an outlier.

I just pulled some (6 AAA Duracells) out of a pepper mill and some were leaking and they weren't that old.

Chris

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Have we addressed the OP's question in his first post? Seems to have digressed into "leaking" issues.

Bill

Yahiko

Newly Enlightened
I happened to find this thread doing a google search.
I can part way answer the question.
I was talking with someone quite a while back at the Costco corporate offices and asked about that in passing
and was tole Duracell.

And for more proof try looking up a MSDS of Costco Kirkland alkaline batteries and you end up on a page for
Duracell batteries for the MSDS.

So from that things sort of point at Duracell.
Do to the location of the offices if I have time I will stop in or give them a call and ask for the MSDS for there batteries.

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened

The Kid

With that usage rate you're probably going through them so fast it doesn't matter. It does beg the question of whether your alkaline are running down prematurely due to the amperage draw.

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
That is good news I hope that you get the whole amount refunded Jameso.

I am the OP and still working on getting rid of those corrosive Kirkland AA's for my parents. Only about 60 more to go.:rolleyes:

Latest posts