Anyone Loving the Jetbeam RRT-0?

wakemare

Newly Enlightened
180 lumens on high with AA. It's a sweet light. Gonna get myself a BADDASSSSS crenelated bezel for it I think:) I love pimping my lights. I think the hidden multi output SOS mode rocks

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
Do they still sell the jetbeam rrt-0 with a r2 emitter? I want that for the r2 throw. Is it op or smo reflector on the r5s. How do the r5s throw?

These can use 14500, cr123, and 14500 out of the package?

Does the s2 have a greenish tint on this too?

And last, how bright is it with the aa extender on 2aa?

This thread got me real interested in it.

(In case they mist my first post due to new page)

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
ledtorches.com.au http://www.ledtorches.com.au/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=173 still has the throwy R2 on sale, with a AA extender.

Meanwhile goinggear.com has the S2 for sale http://goinggear.com/index.php?main...d=2811&zenid=0673f4a20bde520ae5b6073673ece620

Theoretically, the SMO reflectors have longer throws than the OP, however in practice, with Jetbeam lights, tests and reviews have noted little if any loss in throw from an OP reflector at all; so try to go OP for a much cleaner beam.

The R2 with CR123 gives 240 lumens, while the AA extender gives only 180 lumens.
The R5's have 255 lumens and a good balance between flood and throw.
The S2 gives 260 lumens, but the S2 is a larger emitter, so it will tend to have a larger hotspot and will be floodier, but throw tends to be diminished.
In general, these tiny single CR123 size pocket lights with small 25.4mm/1" diameters do not have a deep, nor wide enough reflector to control the sideways spill of light for a long throw - they do however give a wide floody beam very practical at short distances and indoors, and there is a very low low great for indoor use at 2 am in the morning just out of bed.
For maximum throw, try a flashlight with a large and deep reflector - but then it won't be pocket size; life is a compromise.
I ended up with two flashlights: one small for short distance flooding indoors, and one large for long throw outdoors.

There is no green tint on my S2.
Many people say the S2 has a creamy tint - I would agree.
However people say the R5 has a creamy tint too.
On it's own, it looks pretty white to me; definitely not the yellow of incandescent bulbs...

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
WOW thanks for the reply.

Can I change out the R2 to an R5/S2 in the RRT-0 if I wanted or are they differently designed slightly? Now I am wondering which one to get.

Does anyone know the R2/R5/S2 Lux @ 1 meter? This will be my deciding factor. I like throw allot. Not into floody lights.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Presently the R2 emitter is the king of the throws.
I don't much about modifying.
Maybe you have to research the modding forum: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?92-CPF-Custom-Flashlight-Builders-and-Modders .

Furthermore, the RRT-0 R2 already has 240 lumens.
The R5 255 lumens.
The S2 260 lumens.
Only a small rise in overall output, for very possibly a bigger fall in throw.

If you buy an R2 and wish to mod it to R5, be careful, coz the bigger emitter may not fit into the smaller orifice?
You may have to mod the reflector with a larger hole?
Or you may have to purchase the R5 reflector?
Furthermore, the R5 circuit may be different?

However, the R2 should give you the best throw of the three.
A future XM-L T6 emitter will be even more efficient and brighter, but because the emitter is larger yet using the same size reflector, the throw will be diminished.

I once compared my S2 to my friend's Maglite with conventional krypton incandescent bulb running on 4 size D batteries.
My hot spot is huge! Absolutely huge. 10 times bigger. Yet into the distant trees, the S2 beam dramatically widens and floods out.
His Maglite incandescent krypton bulb hot spot is a tiny yellow thing! Almost useless!
Yet up into the distant trees, the huge wide relector controls the sideways spill in such a way, that you see a nice tight little yellow hot spot.

Throw depends more on reflector size, especially on the ratio between the reflector size and the emitter size.
In an ideal world, we would all have a pocket rocket..

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
WOW thanks for the reply.

Can I change out the R2 to an R5/S2 in the RRT-0 if I wanted or are they differently designed slightly? Now I am wondering which one to get.

Does anyone know the R2/R5/S2 Lux @ 1 meter? This will be my deciding factor. I like throw allot. Not into floody lights.

The reflector is different between the R2 and the others. Im pretty sure its not just the hole size, but the shape as well. The R2 actually looks great and throws the best with a SMO reflector... Doesnt need an OP at all. I have beamshots posted somewhere around here.

The others are ringy with an SMO.

Dunno the lux, but if you want throw, the R2 is definitely the best. I searched quite a bit to make sure that I got the R2 in my RRT-0, RRT-1, and RRT-2. The tiny, unnoticeable gain in lumens does not outweigh the gain in throw.

You can still find them sometimes but they are getting fewer and further apart. IMHO the switch in the R2 is superior and makes up for the other "features" regarding the control ring.

ss Dragonfly

Newly Enlightened
Well if it counts for anything I have a story about the Jet Beam waterproofness. Although not an RRT, I do have a Jet 1 Pro v3 that looks to be of a very similiar construction.

Last year, while boating in a fairly large lake here in California, the boat was capsized. We were left in the middle of the lake and swam to the nearest shore. My Jet 1 Pro v3 was in my pocket for the entire 30 minutes or so it took to get to shore. I lost quite a bit of electronics and fishing gear to the bottom of the lake, but not my JetBeam. We climbed out, I fired up the torch and it lit our way all the way back to the cabin. It has performed flawlessly since and I use it ALOT.

Hope this helps
Cheers,
Shane