anyone see 60 minutes last night?

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i will add to Rich's statemts.

it is truly amazing to me how people CHOOSE jobs/education with poor employability--and then have the nerve to gripe about it! they would rather blame the economy or president Bush for their difficulties.

i know many people with degrees that are useless in the real world. my wife is an example: major in psych and minor in business. she agrees: it is a nearly-useless degree.

more? how about poli sci, communications, history...need i go on? im not saying these degrees done have merit. i am saying "dont be surprised if you cannot find work with this type of education." a cannot believe the number of people here at the University of Michigan with degrees that cannot find a great paying job. a master's helps, but it still doesnt guarantee anything.

people need to carefully chose their course, so that they will actually be employed.
if the markets shift, and you become less-employable, YOU need to adapt, instead of whining and blaming government.
it surely is not the government's job to provide you with a high paying job.

boy, did this thread go off-topic!

rant over...now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Bob

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
which end have I been on....

Oh, just to let you know....I am only half White.

Anyoung Hashimikka to those who will understand.

Left home at 17 with an athletic scholorship. At 18 1/2 , out of school due to injury and got job at McDonalds. It has just become 1982, interest rates are double digit and unemplyoment is supposedly double digit. I finally got a jon as a lowly clerk and I work my way up do doing P&L analysis in less than two years. I have since while working completed three majors.

I have been poor enough to where I didn't know where I was going to sleep and I have had years where I gave away 25% of my net income.

I am glad I lived in a place that allowed me to try and be a service.

When doing profit and loss analysis. I often wondered this. You have a company with no free cash flow and paper profits only. Why is anyone surprised then they are forced to layoff people then their tax burden is increased.

Also in a viable company, some areas would have 20% return on investment - the investment capitals interest rate of 16% at the time some pre tax profit of 4%. Do you know what they were doing with the profits, they were creating jobs. That money went towards R&D and increaced production capacity which means more employees. But what did the State do, demand more support for programs which destroyed. People wondered why profitable companaies were laying off at this point. It was free cash flow rather than profits at fault, these are not the same thing, just ask the government....they know these are different things and have requirements on how both are to be handled.

The businesses did not have a stack of cash lying around. The invest in equipment and tooling. If you make it unwise to invest, you destroy jobs directly.

I was able to find work in this environment and thrive. But I had to do things in order to do it. At home I read and tried to understand why there was an employment problem and why interest rates were high. My personal reading got me promoted, not what I did in school.

I have lived in many countries growing up and have relatives that survived very bad times around the world. I could not imagine calling anything but the United States home.

Oh, to the rest of the world.....Why does the United States have the fatest poor people in the world. In fact the American poor on average is heavier than the American middle class.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
JonSidneyB said:
...Anyoung Hashimikka to those who will understand.,

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello yourself

Brightnorm

Latest posts