Anyone think you're weird?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Some people carry an umbrella if there's a 40% chance of rain. I carry a flashlight cuz there's a 100% chance of dark every day. But I'm the weird one. :p

~ Chance

That reminds me of George Carlin's old routine about Al Sleet, the hippy dippy weatherman. "Tonight's forecast - dark. Continued dark through the night, changing to widely scattered light in the morning."

PWK

Newly Enlightened
I've recently caught the flashlight bug and have tried to keep entirely to myself. Not that I really care what people think, I just don't believe most people would find it particularly interesting. Weird? I don't think it is any weirder than collecting other useful things like watches, fountain pens, drink coasters, knives or lighters - to each his own. So far only my wife knows about my interest in flashlights, only because she found the receipt for my purchase of an Aeon Mk. iii, thank goodness aluminum and not timascus! Let's just say my advocacy skills were tested a bit.

SoCalTiger

Newly Enlightened
Only my wife thinks I'm weird.

I'm able to successfully hide my eccentricities from everyone else. :duh2:

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
Everyone who knows about my enthusiastic interest thinks I'm weird. Which isn't very many people, because I think I'm weird.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My neighbors may think I'm weird now as I velcro'd a flashlight to the nozzle I used to water my new lawn this evening. (Trying to establish creeping red fescue under some oak trees this year) A nasty crop of lespediza wiped out a vast area under my trees and after eradicating the stuff I'm trying a shade grass that seasoned folks advised me to try.

Today at work I met a fellow weirdo who climbed out of dump truck with a flashlight in each hand.... at 3 o'clock in the afternoon. His partner says "flashlight? Why? To which he responded "I can't see what I need to see without one"..
Then the guy says "why two?"...
He responds.... wait for it now...

"Because two is one and one is none"....

Last edited:

Norseman

Newly Enlightened
Yeah my friends always bust my chops for always having a knife and a flashlight and my other EDC stuff on me, and I give it to them right back when they try and borrow one of them for second. I say "No. Remember when you thought it was corny? Now use your teeth to cut or a lighter to see."

mfunnell

Newly Enlightened
...because I think I'm weird.
I know the feeling, because I know I'm weird. I noticed, the other day, that I had 7 lights with me as a matter of course, in the middle of the day, for no apparent reason. And I don't even see myself as a "light guy"!

...Mike

P.S. Lights were: (1) Fenix E01 on my car keys, along with (2) a no-name 5mm button-battery light; (3) Olight i3E on my house keys with another (4) button-light; (5) Jet-1 MK in front right pocket; (6) Olight i3S-Cu in back left pocket; (7) Nitecore EC11 head on EC21 body in camera bag.

Last edited:

Richub

Enlightened
I'm past the age that a stranger's opinion mattered to me... ;)

To my friends and coworkers, I'm the "enlightened guy." A lot of them also have their own geeky habits, so that equals things nicely.

In general, people have a tendency to think others are weird or strange if that person falls outside of their preferred group.
So I think that in the eyes of others, almost all of us are weird, and most of us think the same about a lot of strangers too. :D

So: Does anyone think I'm weird? Yup.
Do I care? Nope. :)