Anyone using a type 2 safety helmet at work?

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I subcontract on different sites and a few of the GCs are now mandating type 2 class c helmets like they use in Europe.
I'm trying to get some feedback before purchasing one as they are $100-$250.
All seem to have reviews all over the board, but I need opinions from real world use. I'll be using it in all different weather conditions, and many times while on ladders/ scaffolding.
Thanks.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Those are side impact type. We call them rock climber helmets. Yeah, everybody is going that route. I hate them. Hot in the summer!!!

They say if you trip and fall with the conventional kind it will fly off your head. The side impact type protects your melon from side, front or rear impacts.

Did I mention I hate them?

Check out the Klein models. Big ole vents for summer that close in winter. Plus they're not pricey.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like Petzyl makes a type 2 helmet with a proprietary mount for one of their lights; Milwaukee too.
I'll have to wear one all day, so I'm trying to get an idea of which ones are most comfortable.
Kask and Studson look best so far.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The DOT in my state issues Kask. The bigger contractors use that brand too. Probably due to the extensive list of accessory options.
One can swap the ball cap brim for a face shield or sunglasses or a headlamp. They make clip on sound shielding ear covers.

I bought a Klein for the vents but right now we're still allowed to wear the old kind of hard hats. If I have to strap on fall protection I'll voluntarily put on the side impact helmet too.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the response. Looking at them all, I'm leaning towards a vented kask. The non vented class e helmets are specified for electrical work, as they electrically isolate the helmet shell.