AR15 Light Under $125 ?

DonK

Enlightened
Looking for a light to mount on my AR15. Budget is $125 max. It can have integral mount, or I can mount to rail with 1" ring. Want something robust and bright (500+ lumens)

Looked at Streamlight TLR-1 but it seems a little flimsy for use on the end of a rifle.

Any other suggestions ?

I use an old Surefire weapon light, I think it's model 951 or something like that. It's built tough-- which is why I like it--but it's dim with the stock bulb. Not to worry, just add a P60 drop in. Besides that, I think too much is made of brightness in rifle lights. You're only going to use the light at close quarters for identification. Using it at 100 yard is only an invitation for someone out there to kill you. After all, you're shining the light because you don't know what's out there.

Bill

DonK

Enlightened
Thanks for the input

I am currently using a Fenix TK10 -200 lm looks dim by modern standards. Has been reliable and seems sturdy. Never considered armytek before but thy seem to have good quality and features. Could be a new favorite

Last edited:

hoop762

Newly Enlightened
I've seen good results with a TLR- 1HL on an AK.

Not mine, but I've used it and I liked it. Seemed durable enough.

I've had a TLR- 3 on my carry gun and after do several thousand 9 mm rounds, I've found them to be quite robust.

Would be tough to find a smaller light with that output.

DonK

Enlightened
I have a TLR-1 on a shotgun, and while it is nice and compact and light, the switch does seem a little flimsy. If puts out as much light as the lights under consideration, so no quibbles there.

DonK

Enlightened
Been doing some research on the Armytek and really like the look of them. Now I need to choose which one to get. I've ruled out the Pro models - just too complex

The Predator has a hot spot angle of 5 deg (27 feet at 100 yds)

The Viking has a hot spot angle o 10 deg (54 feet at 100 yds)

Nice to have these specs BUT I can't relate these figures to any other lights.

Any on know which will be better on an AR15 ?

thanks

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
At what distances will it be used? A 10 degree spot is quite tight. A 5 degree spot seems to be rather unique.

DonK

Enlightened
I am thinking between 20 and 50 yards mostly, but possibly out to 100 occasionally

CaptBeach

Newly Enlightened
Former Marine Armorer, COP and SIG SAUER M4 Armorer...I highly recommend a used Surefire 951/952...all have integrated mounts and most have tape tail switches...a P60 LED upgrade is cheap to 300+ lumens and takes 2 CR123 battery's...well within your budget...awesome light for the $$$$

DonK

Enlightened
The 5 deg hot spot on that predator does look v narrow in the video. He states that these are made in US and Japan but the company website indicates China.

DonK

Enlightened
Viking it is then - thanks for all the input. I would not have considered ArmyTek had I not visited this site

DonK

Enlightened
Well, I took the plunge and am now a Viking owner. Initial impressions - very good. The beam is not as wide as some other lights I've tried - Olight M20X for example, but it is ideal for AR15 work. I don't really like the rubber grip ring, or the rubber ring alternative, but I can live with it.

One thing that surprised me was no spring at the positive battery terminal

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I took the plunge and am now a Viking owner. Initial impressions - very good. The beam is not as wide as some other lights I've tried - Olight M20X for example, but it is ideal for AR15 work. I don't really like the rubber grip ring, or the rubber ring alternative, but I can live with it.

One thing that surprised me was no spring at the positive battery terminal

And that right there is why it probably shouldn't be weapon mounted.

DonK

Enlightened
Yes, seems like an odd design feature given that the manufacturer sells it as weapon mountable. Probably be OK on low recoiling AR15, but I don't think I would use it on 12g.

Standard of English on manufacturer website is abysmal -I hope their engineering skills are better

Last edited:

hoop762

Newly Enlightened
Please let us know how well it seems to hold up after some test firing...