Arc-AAA beta test and general topics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry guys, I don't have a Photon Freedom or a Lux meter. I use a solar cell and a volt meter to test the difference between lights. So this doesn't do any good in determining Lux values.

I can give some (non-Lux) readings though:
Arc AAA..............18 (different units vary from 15~20)
Arc AAA-P...........42
Arc SLS2.............78
Arc LSHF-P..........92
Arc4+ @ level 1....124
Surefire L4...........156

The numbers are just showing the difference in brightness between these lights. Other than that, they don't mean much.

AW,
The beam on mine has a blue hot-spot like previous Arc AAA's

pokkuhlag,
$39.95 is for the premium version, $29.95 is for the standard.

pokkuhlag

Enlightened
Sean, I know I saw that on part 1. But this first post does not state premium nor standard, it just say Arc AAA rev.4. And also Premium should have extended runtime with more efficient led and looking at the 5 hour runtime, I don't see anything being extended at all.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
...just enjoying the posts. This is truly what "deja vu" must be like! Certainly feels like we've been here before!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good deal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Sounds like a bunch of happy Beta-testers! Onward to the general public release!

Right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
pokkuhlag said:
Sean, I know I saw that on part 1. But this first post does not state premium nor standard, it just say Arc AAA rev.4. And also Premium should have extended runtime with more efficient led and looking at the 5 hour runtime, I don't see anything being extended at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you have a point. But one thing is for sure, the brightness is "extended" (mine is twice the brightness of my older Arc AAA) with no loss of run time over the previous Arc AAA's. That's pretty amazing to me.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
They should fit the old one. If not, it can only be too big so you could just trim it down. And somewhere around here, are the simple directions of using a corn pad for you foot as the foam pad. Works the exact same, you just got to master cutting small holes.

Cameron

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like we have another winner on our hands. I was not a fan of the blue output that I received from previous arcs. Hopefully the premiums will be handpicked and not exhibit the blue effect.

Thanks

Curtis

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
pokkuhlag, I updated my original post with the Standard prices as well.

GarageBoy, yes the new battery retainers and o-rings will fit all the old versions except the original r1.0 released in May 2001. The first version had a gasket and not an o-ring (although the betas before it did have an o-ring).

If your classic Arc-AAA/AA needs a new o-ring or foam retainer, send us a SASE and we will mail them out to you no charge.

Thank you beta testers! Looking forward to hearing from all of you (some have not posted yet).

Peter

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was also one of the fortunate ones to be a beta tester /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This light makes a great first impression!!! The head and body match perfectly and the finish is perfect. I really like the new style head. Like everyone else, I noticed the knurling pattern seems to be slightly larger and ever so slightly less aggressive. When comparing the brightness there is a big difference when comparing the beam with my older Arc AAA. Sean's pictures are very accurate in the comparisons. The hot spot is about three times as large and the side spill is about 1/3 larger. The side spill is also larger then the two Arc AAA Turquoise that I have. Although it is hard to quantify, the throw is significantly longer. The light like most LED lights in this category has a hint of blue in the color but it is definitely acceptable.

I preformed a series of test to try to emulate a couple of year's worth of ware and tear to see how this light would hold up. I turned this light on and off more then 4050 times and never had a miss fire. The head turns smoothly and has a good feel.

I also tested the new SS rivet by dunking it in hot water then banging it on a piece of wood then cooling it in ice water. I did this 300 time and the rivet held perfectly.

I dropped and threw this light over 20 times and it never died. At one point I thought that I killed the light but it turned out that the impact from a strong throw completely smashed the top of the battery in. I was not gentle with this light.

I am very impressed. This light in the last week has taken a beating and it has taken every thing I threw at it. This is not just a good looking light but it is tough as nails. This light is a winner!!!!

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
powernoodle said:
[ QUOTE ]
Lebkuecher said:
I was not genital with this light.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paging Dr. Freud. Is there a Dr. Freud in the house?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope he didn't do any "insertion" testing.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
My testing continues. Although I haven't tortured mine as much as others, I've still be putting it a good deal of testing in order to simulate many years of normal useage. This new Arc-AAA v4 is a true winner. For those who have commented about wanting the blue-tint completely removed, you're setting yourself up to be dissappointed. It's like asking a blueburry to "bleed" juice some color other than blue if it's squeezed. It's phyisically impossible. This type of LED will not lend itself to being pure white, whatever that means.

That being said, this new version will blow the socks off any other Arc-AAA light you've ever seen as far a tint, color and brightness. If you're looking for a light that shows absolutely no signs of blue-tint, than don't order an Arc-AAA v4 light. I'll save you the trouble and time in stating that right now. If you've always wanted an Arc-AAA light or have one and was looking for something that is "better" by a noticable difference on all fronts, then the the Arc-AAA v4 is for you.

At this point in time, I'm confident in the rivet contact and it's durability. As others have said, my unit has never failed to light when I wanted it to come on.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry guys for the typo. I'm at work and doing about twelve different things at once. Just goes to show how excited I am about the light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Lebkuecher said:
Sorry guys for the typo. I'm at work and doing about twelve different things at once. Just goes to show how excited I am about the light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you are getting excited, especially if "genitals" are involved.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to see the Arc-AAA lives again! It was my first "real" light as a flashaholic and has, by far, been the most useful light in my collection.

Can't wait to order a few Premiums!

Jon

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok,

I'm sold. So when can I buy one? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wilkey

RayT

Newly Enlightened
I have also been testing this light since I received it several days ago. It has been with me in my pool and used in the lake. Actually took it water skiing attached to my suit. The light has worked flawlessly with no problems. I do have to occasionally blow the lint from my pocket from the LED area.

I did some drop tests from about two feet onto a concrete floor. The first drop nothing happened. The second drop the light went out. What had happened is that the positive terminal on the battery got dented. Tightening the head was all that was necessary to get the light working again. There is enough threaded area on the head to accomodate a wide variation in battery length. If the battery is marked AAA it should work in the light.

The beam does have a blue tint, about what would be expected from the type of LED used. You have some noticeable yellow tinted rings in the beam. Compared to an HDS GT60 the light is quite blue. It also does not have the sharp cutoff on the central beam that the HDS exhibits.

The beam shape is very good. Nice spread. There is not much throw so the light should really only be used for close in work. You are not going to illuminate the top of a 747 tail. Leave that to the larger lights.

This AAA fits in the pocket easily and in fact is really not even noticeable like when carrying the HDS light.

Run time is about what is stated until the light drops to a much lower level. I have not run the lower level to complete battery depletion.

The knurling feels smooth yet is aggresive enough that I was able to operate the light with oily (engine oil, 30 weight) hands without difficulty.

This light, in my opinion, is not going to be one of those lights that will replace other flashlights. It will be a pocket light that can be used in small spaces in close proximity when you need light. It is small enough that you can easily carry it all the time. Having such a light with at all times may just make the difference between being inconvenienced and a really difficult situation.

I am so impressed with the light that, even though I have a beta unit, I will be purchasing 10 of the lights to give as gifts to the families of my exchange students from Germany.

This light is really a winner in the category. Quality, durability, simplicity, diminuitive size, readily available batteries, easily changed batteries. An outstanding combination.

Status
Not open for further replies.